The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Helene Elliott@helenenothelen8m

Vancouver Canucks have permission to talk to Kings assistant coach John Stevens about their head coaching job. He's a quality guy.

BOOM! Thankyou Kings!

Since I really don't think Tippett or Bylsma will become available, I'd put Stevens at the head of my list for available coaches. If he impresses during the interviews I can see them not waiting on anyone else.

Healy's a moron with a clear hate for the Canucks. Who cares? He takes any opportunity to rip the Canucks. Like when he said AV would have won the cup if he had a goaltender. Like Luongo's just some nobody. How does he even know that the Canucks were that high on him? Maybe they interviewed him and decided he didn't have enough experience. There are still alot of coaches out there with much more experience than Eakins. If we're going for a first time coach, Jeff Blashill who's the coach of Grand Rapids has just as much experience, and will likely win the Calder Cup this year. Alot of hype with Eakins is because he's coach of Toronto's farm team and the Eastern media all know him.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks Healy is a moron....I can't stand that guy and not only because he is a Canuck hater. Imagine him being critical of Luongo? Healy whom had less than marginal NHL backup goaltending talent.

couldn't agree more always hated this guy and not just bc he's a Canuck hater. Him, Scott Oake and Nick Kypreos are the 3 i can't stand the most. I'm not a hatter but Kypreos and Healy are so negative and think they are the smartest people on earth and are never wrong. Scott Oake is more because his stupid insulting like questions that often make no sense he's a moron. Most people I actually like, guys like Bob Mckenzie, Jim Hughson and the vast majority.

Stevens is a crappy fall back option. I would argue he is worse than AV. Big fish to fry is still Bylsma.

A guy who got Drew Dougthy to pay more attention to the details, single handedly developed Slava Voynov into a top-4 defensemen in his second year, and orchestrated one of the most aggressive and successful PKs I've ever seen is a fall back? Surely you're joking.

If someone could break down the pros and cons of stevens in relations to the canucks that would be appreciated.

I know nothing of the guy or his coaching abilities.

From Canucks Army:

COACHING CANDIDATE PROFILES: JOHN STEVENS

Posted earlier I'm sure but as you obviously hadn't seen it here it is again.

EDIT: almost...

• marginal NHL defender but had a great AHL career (he's in the AHL Hall of Fame)
  • took a puck to the eye (wear your visors kids) which ended his career but stepped in the the Flyers AHL team as an assistant role from there
  • became head coach of the Phantoms after ~2 seasons, stayed for 6
  • his record: 230-181 (with 33 ties and 16 OT losses), 30-18 in the playoffs with a Calder Cup to show for it (won 6 of 9 series they played in)
  • promoted to assistant coach in 06/07 for the Flyers behind Hitchcock, who was then fired 8 games into the season and Stevens became head coach
  • had terrible goaltending and poor defensive depth (what's new Flyers fans?) but made the playoffs in his second and third year (ECF, 1st round, both losses to the Penguins)
  • Flyers struggled in his 4th season as HC, and he was fired after a 13-12-1 start
  • improved 5 on 5 play and top 10 for PP and PK during his tenure, had a 120-109-34 overall record
  • hired as an assistant by LA, became interim coach until Sutter was hired as well
  • initially ran both the defence and PK, Sutter changed PK to shared role when he was hired
  • credited with improving the play of Doughty, Muzzin and Voyanov while in LA
  • described as "specific, detailed, analytical, well thought out and articulate"

He's one of if not my top candidate of the currently available coaches. He has great experience having been in the West (particularly the Pacific division, who we'll now be matched up with in the new realignment) the last several years. He's been an assistant and head coach at the AHL and NHL level, winning a Calder Cup as an AHL head coach, and a Stanley Cup as an NHL assistant coach. He also has a reputation as a player coach and a proven ability to work with younger players, particularly ones who have struggled in areas. Kassian and Edler spring to mind for many people but we have young players coming up who could use the support as well.

And he likes kittens:

A guy who got Drew Dougthy to pay more attention to the details, single handedly developed Slava Voynov into a top-4 defensemen in his second year, and orchestrated one of the most aggressive and successful PKs I've ever seen is a fall back? Surely you're joking.

Agreed. I would far rather Stevens over Eakins. Glad hhe went to Edmonton

Stevens or ruff plz.

@RenLavoieRDS: Canucks and John Tortorella are talking. Is one of the strong candidates to replace Alain Vigneault. #RDS

Hahahahahah oh boy... would that be funny to watch. Well at least torts isn't a guy that ruins an elite goalies career when he has a few bad games. He seemed to stick with lund through thick and thin.

Imagine torts post game interviews here after refs screw us every single game LOL

@RenLavoieRDS: Canucks and John Tortorella are talking. Is one of the strong candidates to replace Alain Vigneault. #RDS

My goodness, I like to keep an open mind, however please no no no to Tortorella.  The guy seems to know his hockey, however I think he would get tuned out by like game 5 of the regular season.On a side note, I liked Eakins press conference yesterday, I thought he said some good and positive things and he really has a passion for what he is doing.  Not saying he would have been Mr. Fix-it for the Canucks, however I do wish the guy luck.

Tortorella would be a good fit in Vancouver, no problem with a coach who will remove any country club atmosphere and who will hold players accountable.

And after 5 games of Torts' "yell, scream, jump up and down" antics, not a soul on the team will listen to him.  Call it a "country club atmosphere" all you want, but veteran players don't respond to a coach like Torts who comes off as a condescending A-hole. Also, if you think AV nuetered the offense from skill players, just wait 'til Torts gets ahold of them.

I think it's pretty clear that the list of available coaches out there is pretty thin. Ironically, AV is far and away the best coach available for hire. IMO, it was the wrong time to let AV go.......though I do get why. I think MG would have been better served making significant changes to the roster than firing the coach.

Also not sure why people think Ruff would "demand instant respect". He's not considered a tough coach by any stretch of the imagination. IN fact, he's most likely a hands off, let the vets sort things out kind of coach, like AV

Archived