The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins schooling Pens like they did to Canucks

grandmaster

Maybe the lesson learned is rarely to trades done at the deadline put you over the top. The other lesson is trading away assets for rentals to make a splash in the playoffs rarely works as well.

So instead of trading away 2nd round picks every year, maybe we should look at moving veteran pieces that don't fit and pick up draft picks instead?

Guest Dasein

Really makes you appreciate what Roberto Luongo was able to do - stretch the series out to 7 games by stealing two 1-0 shutout games on home ice with a banged up team.

The Bruins game plan is pretty simple, and it's the same way L.A and Chicago won a Cup too.

1) Solid defence first. Both defencemen back, rarely pinch or make stupid plays.

2) Get under the skin of the opposing team's stars

3) Big, physical defencemen crunching the other team's forwards every shift and wearing them down

4) A very fast forecheck, causing turnovers

5) Opportunistic offence off mistakes, not forcing offence

A good defence beats a good offence every single time, and a good goalie will stop a good forward whenever they go head to head. That's why the last 3 Cup winners (even 6 if you go back to when Pittsburgh had a good defence, and then Lidstrom in Detroit, then even Anaheim before them) were all defence-first teams.

If the Canucks want to win a Cup any time soon they need a defensive, not an offensive coach like AV was. We've got solid guys on our blueline in Hamhuis and Garrison, two offensive guys who can also hit in Edler and Bieksa, and now two very bright future shutdown defencemen in Tanev and Corrado. A good defensive coach will make these guys play a good shutdown system, and with Schneider in net there's no reason we can't win a Cup on defence alone. Enough of this nonesense "offence from the blueline" and stupid pinches, it's time to play smart sound defence.

I will give the Bruins credit where it is due, they have the skill, grit, and punchback learned of veterans, they take, take, take, but at the same time with that same mix of grit they have skilled players that make veteran key plays like Bergeron, and yes even ratboy Marchand score key goals.

Please stop comparing the Canucks that went to the finals to this Pens team, there are big differences here, the injuries to key players that our team faced leading up to the Finals made a huge difference, not the stupid ass goaltending everyone keeps talking about. We took this Bruins team, a healthy one to game 7. the Pens have not yet. The Pens have healthy all-stars, ones who have not yet been contributing to the eastern finals, not for lack of trying, the Bruins have been that good.

Now watch the reffing in this series and tell me how much different it is between this series and the first round. (I'm hoping Makaveli reads this and puts together a video because the differences are huge)

Our team was decimated by injuries to key players and yet we still took them to game 7. I'm begrudgingly giving them credit now because teams that are build like the Bruins are built to win in the playoffs, play defensive hockey and the first mistake will be costly.

Clutch and grab all over again.

The Canucks were both undermanned and it was open season to punch, chop, crosscheck, clutch and grab - simply maul - the top line - which, by the way, schooled the Bruins at the start of the series when modern hockey was beiing played, and Hamhius was in the lineup. The Canucks without their #1 defenseman and a third pairing blueliner in the lineup, were hard pressed to outlast the Bruins, who are a hell of a hockey team.

I got a chuckle out of the predictions of Penguins sweeps or five game landslide - they are not the Canucks of 2010/11 who lead the NHL in scoring and gave up the fewest goals in the NHL at the same time. The Penguins can score, but they are an average defensive club, with inconsistent goaltending.

The Penguins are being schooled - and no, they're not battling tougher than Vancouver did. The Canucks were every bit as physical as Boston when actual hockey was being played. Pittsburgh, like the Canucks, are playing an equally physical game and can match the Bruins in that sense between the whistles - but what they can't handle even with a healthy lineup, is the Bruiins counterpunching and the quality of scoring chances they produce. The Penguins are lopsided up front - their third pairing is simply too weak, slow and immobile, their blueline beyond their top pairing is too shallow - one that is completely overmatched by Boston's - and Vokoun is not outplaying Rask, which they really need in order to win.

Not all about the Bruins doing the right things. Yes the Bruins playing smart defensively. Goalie on a role

More like the Pens doing the wrong things. Lets start with no screen on the PP. How about no puck support. 1 guy trying to beat 6. Sound familiar? Shooting themselves in the foot, the Pens are. Same old record we saw once before. Big difference, I haven't seen the Pens pull any 20 minute efforts. I haven't seen their goalie or D self destruct. Can't compare apples to Oranges. Pens killing themselves, but no where near how the Canucks killed themselves.

God. I am going to be cheering for the Hawks. The world must be ending. :(

Only huge difference. The Pens are not getting roasted nearly as bad by the refs. In the 2011 SCF the Bruins could have dressed the Hansen brothers and not gotten very many if any more penalties. Not the reason we lost. It certainly didn't help, but the Canucks only have the man in the mirror to blaim for the loss.

Archived