The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not one single vote for Schneids in Vezina voting.

TOMapleLaughs

I have never heard of a goalie being pulled to protect his stats. I have never seen anything written about it, nor seen any reference to it in any interviews or press conferences. Normally goalies have been pulled to light a fire under a team or a goalie is just letting everything in and it's time to get him out. Not one coach ever worries about a goalies stats and i bet most all goalies don't care about their own stats. They are thankful winning a Vezina at the end of a season but during a season all they care about is winning games and winning in the playoffs.

Ok. Well, I'm hardly the first to mention it, even on this forum. I showed you how it can help a goalie's stats (and in turn their confidence) and pointed out that goalies are usually only pulled once the game is already nearly, if not completely, out of reach. Beyond that, believe a coach would think about asset management as well as winning or don't. Makes no difference to me.

Well it is an interesting theory you have going there... but in reality it does not happen. Goalies are not pulled to save their stats because other than the media and fans, no one cares about stats. Winning is the only thing that matters from the age of 15 on in hockey. And no coach or player ever concedes a game is out of reach when it is 4-0. Just because you heard it mentioned on CDC doesn't mean a thing, there are a lot of false ideas on this forum from people who have never played before or new to the game as a fan.

Well it is an interesting theory you have going there... but in reality it does not happen. Goalies are not pulled to save their stats because other than the media and fans, no one cares about stats. Winning is the only thing that matters from the age of 15 on in hockey. And no coach or player ever concedes a game is out of reach when it is 4-0. Just because you heard it mentioned on CDC doesn't mean a thing, there are a lot of false ideas on this forum from people who have never played before or new to the game as a fan.

Find one press conference or an interview where stats is used as a reason to pull a goalie during a regular season game...and good luck with that.

You should take a look at your own posts and realize that your little fantasy about saving stats has not added anything to this thread. And by the way i haven't been snarky at all, all i did was point out the incredibly obvious to you that you quite possibly didn't know before.

I don't have a quote of a coach saying that as it's not really the sort of thing they would say, now is it? I do know there is that infamous Patrick Roy incident where he had a meltdown after he wasn't pulled until he'd let in 9 because he thought it was the coach was humiliating him on purpose. Just goes to show that the idea of pulling the goalie to protect him, be it his stats or his confidence, and not just the team's chance to win is a pretty well dated and accepted concept.

There are also sources like inGoal Magazine which ran an article titled "5 Ways Coaches Destroy Goalies" which includes the following quote: "Coaches who pull their goaltenders from a game too soon or keep them in too long. Coaches who pull their goaltenders too soon risk ruining their self-esteem and leaving them in too long, especially in an embarrassing situation, is just as bad." Again, Maybe EotM is right and it's more about their confidence than stats (though I stand by my numbers that show how their stats are effected by being pulled...), but it's pretty obvious coaches pull goalies in bad games for reasons other than the team's chance of winning.

But, since it is your theory that "winning is the only thing that matters," perhaps you can explain why, far more often than not, starters are pulled but backups are not, even when the situation in the game is similar. If your theory held, any goalie would be pulled under similar circumstances. If anything, one would think backups would be more likely to be pulled as they generally have less experience but that's not what often happens.

Our unique goalie situation actually provides the perfect example of the different treatment goalies get according to role: This year, Luo was sent in in relief of Cory twice, including the first game of the year after Cory let in 3 within 3 minutes in the 2nd period (in addition to the 2 he'd allowed in the first period) and the March 30 Edmonton game where he let in 2 goals in the first 2 minutes. Cory never went in in relief of Luo, even during the February Detroit game in which Luo allowed 8 goals (including 2 in a minute and a half in the first period.)

Last year, Cory was sent in in relief of Luo 5 times (once due to injury) but Luo only went in in relief of Cory once (when he allowed 3 goals on 5 shots). That year, Cory was not pulled in a game in which he allowed 3 goals in under 6 minutes, but Luo was pulled in another game after allowing 3 goals in just over 5 minutes.

In 2010/11, Cory was sent in in relief of Luo 3 times. Luo never went in in relief of Cory, despite the fact that Cory had multiple games in which he allowed a couple of quick goals, including a game in which he allowed 2 goals in less than a minute and another in which he allowed 2 goals in just under 2 minutes and ended with 5 against (in 23 shots against) and a SV% of .783.

If winning were the only factor being considered, why were they treated differently in comparison to one another in a given year and in comparison with themselves as starter and backup? They were the same two players with the same coach. The only difference is that they have switched starter/backup positions. So, if not because starters are pulled to protect them (stats, confidence, whatever) why was Cory pulled this year after allowing 2 goals in just under 2 minutes but he wasn't pulled for allowing 2 goals in just under 2 minutes in 2010/11? Why was Luo pulled for allowing 3 in 5 minutes last year, but not pulled in the Edmonton game this year?

Find one press conference or an interview where stats is used as a reason to pull a goalie during a regular season game...and good luck with that.

You should take a look at your own posts and realize that your little fantasy about saving stats has not added anything to this thread. And by the way i haven't been snarky at all, all i did was point out the incredibly obvious to you that you quite possibly didn't know before.

I have never heard of a goalie being pulled to protect his stats. I have never seen anything written about it, nor seen any reference to it in any interviews or press conferences. Normally goalies have been pulled to light a fire under a team or a goalie is just letting everything in and it's time to get him out. Not one coach ever worries about a goalies stats and i bet most all goalies don't care about their own stats. They are thankful winning a Vezina at the end of a season but during a season all they care about is winning games and winning in the playoffs.

Archived