The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams want Lu

cmpunk

Lou is not playing for team Canada next Olympics. Think about it, he a middle of the pack (stats) goalie in the last few years that has lost 6 straight playoffs games and no team in the NHL is interested (apparently) in getting him for free. Team Canada's staff would be crucified if they enen brought up the idea (unless Lou has a hell of a year this year) as there are much better options. Looking at the situation as it is he will not be playing for team Canada even though he is the defending gold goalie.

Lou is not playing for team Canada next Olympics. Think about it, he a middle of the pack (stats) goalie in the last few years that has lost 6 straight playoffs games and no team in the NHL is interested (apparently) in getting him for free. Team Canada's staff would be crucified if they enen brought up the idea (unless Lou has a hell of a year this year) as there are much better options. Looking at the situation as it is he will not be playing for team Canada even though he is the defending gold goalie.

term = fail

lu can still play another 5 good years... but then you are totally fracked after that. completely fracked and your team is on the hook for 5.3 in cap space for nothing for another 5 years or whatever it is... why would any team in their right mind do that?

term = fail

lu can still play another 5 good years... but then you are totally fracked after that. completely fracked and your team is on the hook for 5.3 in cap space for nothing for another 5 years or whatever it is... why would any team in their right mind do that?

Guest Pinchin

Listening to some of the theories and ideas being floated actually makes me thankful MG is our GM...and I think he's made some bad choices. Yup.

Give the blind Luo hatred a rest, Nino!

No one has ever said Luo has been offered for "free." In fact, people have said that MG was asking for too much. If they wanted to get rid of him for free they'd place him on waivers to prepare for a buyout because they know someone would pick him up. The only reason they're not moving in that direction is that the landscape is changing in the off season, some teams desperately need a goalie and we can get something in return for him.

Second, you have no way of knowing who will or won't be on Team Canada at this point because that decision hasn't been made. Most sports writers still put Luo in the mix because they know that this year was hardly representative of his skill when he was in one of the most unusual, difficult positions. He's a good goalie who already has a gold medal to prove it.

And his numbers have not been "middle of the pack" for the last few years. Last year, Luo was 3rd among Canadian SV% leaders and 12th in the league. (How small do you think the pack is?) In 2010/11 he was 1st among Canadian SV% leaders and 4th in the league. And if, as anyone with a working brain fully expects, his stats go back up to where they've been as recently as last year when he gets to be a starter again, he will certainly remain in the mix to be named to Team Canada.

And really?! STILL with the "winless in the last 6 playoff games" crap? How about instead of using the last 2 loses to Boston to try to bolster that weak claim (while ignoring the SCF freaking SHUTOUT he got just the game before your little "last 6 playoff games" starts), you show a little integrity and say that Luo's won 50% of the playoff games he's played in (and 52% of the playoff games he's started.) Or maybe mention a little context and point out that in those last 6 playoff starts the team only scored 9 goals and was kept scoreless once.

If you think we didn't win those playoff games because of Luo you're not paying attention. And you're blithely ignoring the fact that Cory has only ever won one playoff game in his total of 6 playoff starts. And unlike Luo, Cory had 2 games in the last 2 years in which we've managed to score 3 goals. So, either you incorrectly believe both our goalies suck, or you acknowledge that our team is the reason we're not winning in the playoffs. You can't have it both ways!

You clearly said, "he a middle of the pack (stats) goalie in the last few years". That is not true. Last year Luo was 12th out of the 45 SV% leaders last season and 3rd among the 18 Canadians. In 2010/11, Luo was 4th out of 47 SV% leaders and 1st among the 19 Canadians. That is not in the middle range, in the league or especially among his fellow countrymen.

In fact, this year is the only one you can argue he's been in the middle range because he was 30th out of 50 SV% leaders and 14th out of the 23 Canadians. Unless he repeats this year's stats next year (which no one expects), there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't be considered for Team Canada.

Give the blind Luo hatred a rest, Nino!

No one has ever said Luo has been offered for "free." In fact, people have said that MG was asking for too much. If they wanted to get rid of him for free they'd place him on waivers to prepare for a buyout because they know someone would pick him up. The only reason they're not moving in that direction is that the landscape is changing in the off season, some teams desperately need a goalie and we can get something in return for him.

Second, you have no way of knowing who will or won't be on Team Canada at this point because that decision hasn't been made. Most sports writers still put Luo in the mix because they know that this year was hardly representative of his skill when he was in one of the most unusual, difficult positions. He's a good goalie who already has a gold medal to prove it.

And his numbers have not been "middle of the pack" for the last few years. Last year, Luo was 3rd among Canadian SV% leaders and 12th in the league. (How small do you think the pack is?) In 2010/11 he was 1st among Canadian SV% leaders and 4th in the league. And if, as anyone with a working brain fully expects, his stats go back up to where they've been as recently as last year when he gets to be a starter again, he will certainly remain in the mix to be named to Team Canada.

And really?! STILL with the "winless in the last 6 playoff games" crap? How about instead of using the last 2 loses to Boston to try to bolster that weak claim (while ignoring the SCF freaking SHUTOUT he got just the game before your little "last 6 playoff games" starts), you show a little integrity and say that Luo's won 50% of the playoff games he's played in (and 52% of the playoff games he's started.) Or maybe mention a little context and point out that in those last 6 playoff starts the team only scored 9 goals and was kept scoreless once.

If you think we didn't win those playoff games because of Luo you're not paying attention. And you're blithely ignoring the fact that Cory has only ever won one playoff game in his total of 6 playoff starts. And unlike Luo, Cory had 2 games in the last 2 years in which we've managed to score 3 goals. So, either you incorrectly believe both our goalies suck, or you acknowledge that our team is the reason we're not winning in the playoffs. You can't have it both ways!

What does Canadian goalies have to do with middle of the pact? I think 12th is middle of the pact and just so you know there are more stats then save %.

You saying the same thing I am just putting a better light on it, unless he plays a lot better then he has been he will not be playing for team Canada.

You said

Unless he repeats this year's stats next year (which no one expects), there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't be considered for Team Canada.

Kind of the same thing I said?

Twelve is not in the middle of 45. Most people would divide it into 3 to get the top, middle and bottom meaning 1-15 are in the top, 16-30 are in the middle, and 31-45 are in the bottom.

And comparing him to Canadian goalies has everything to do with whether or not his stats are good enough to get selected to Team Canada.

And no, we didn't say the same thing at all. You said, "unless he has a hell of a season next year he will not be on team Canada." So, basically I said he'd have to mess up and have another abnormally low stat year to not be considered. You said he'd have to have an unusually great year to even be considered. That isn't even close to the same thing.

We both said he needs to play better then he is, look at it anyway you want after that.

Who brought the number 45 into this? What is the 45 for?

When I said he has middle of the pack numbers I was talking about all goalies not canada.

Here's a thought although I don't know whether it would be allowed under the CBA. Buy out Lu's contract, re-sign him to a 3 year deal at the same money he's making now. Wouldn't this make him an attractive candidate to other interested teams?

Here's a thought although I don't know whether it would be allowed under the CBA. Buy out Lu's contract, re-sign him to a 3 year deal at the same money he's making now. Wouldn't this make him an attractive candidate to other interested teams?

so which canadian goalie right now is way better than Luongo? Price (all over the map with his performance regular season and playoff)? Fleury (who can't stop a beach ball when the game counts)? Ward (havent got his team in the playoff for 4 straight season in a weak division) man if those 3 mentions are WAY better than Luongo.. then Luongo shouldn't even be a NHL goalie.

I still think Luo has a great chance to make the team. I`d also say Crawford made a great case for himself this year IF he can keep it going next season. Personally I also like Holtby. For such a young goalie he`s shown a lot of promise and composure and assuming he keeps his stats up I`d love to see him in the running.

Archived