The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo was not told that Schneider was being traded

Gillis said earlier that no player was safe and anyone could be traded if the right deal came along. That there should be enough "telling" to the players. Welcome to reality, people.

As for Luongo, he signed the contract. He had his chance to get out before he signed with the team for another decade. No, the situation has not been handled with any amount of tact, but it is what it is. There's no more questions over goaltending controveries and Luongo gets to be the starter for the same team that's paying the contract he agreed to.

I can see from your condescending tone you're more than a bit full of yourself.

It's common sense to tell the goaltender who you had told over a YEAR AGO you would be trading, to the point where both parties had spoken to the media multiple times about how it was time to move on from eachother, that he would be staying. The way that Gillis messed up the goaltending situation in Vancouver is almost artistic... Luongo was leaving before, and I'm saying that he should because I like all of our players and wish for the best for him.

Perhaps the deal was made if horvat was available? So the deal was made, but wasn't officially made until before the pick therefore not giving the time to contact Schneider. If Horvat had been taken, then what's the point of telling Schneider that he might be moved?

I think the issues with this are pretty obvious

First, if MG was going to trade Schnieder, how / why he didn't do this sooner and get more is beyond me. we have a top 5 goalie, with a great cap hit and coudn't get more than a top ten pick?

Gillis completed 'shat' the bed here, a compounding of errors all caused by indecisiveness, poorly understanding the value of Luo and as a result was backed into a corner and makes a reactionary trade.

Had it been for McKinnon no one cares. For a 'potential' second line center, it worries fans who are asked to pay more for tickets next year.

Second, how does Lou react and how can this not maintain an air of ridiculousness/circus in the room. Yes he is part of this team, yes he is under contract, but for God's sake, the man was pretty much crying that he WASN'T traded last year. His heart is not here. How do you get that back? I for one don't think you can.

When you've checked out, you can't just turn it on again, its not about money, its not about professionalism, its about emotion and something you don't 'control'

MG is showing us he has a lack of understanding of not only hockey but of people.

Hey if Horvat is Neely or Iginla reincarnated, people will forget. But asking people to forget while they 'wait' for Kassian, wait for Horvat, look at Ballard, see the failure of Mayray vs Grabner, watch the failure of Booth, on and on of poor MG trades, its understandable why people are upset.

I hope that Luongo seriously was not THAT surprized. I would hope someone making that kind of money has a bigger mind than that. Just the other day i was saying, with the new coach we should keep Lou, makes sense, and should have made sense to him too.

Luongo was apparently shocked when he found out. Had no idead that's what they were going to do.

Really Gillis? You don't at least run it by Luongo to see where he's at?

Sure he can force him to play since he's under contract. But will he still be 100% comitted to Vancouver?

I find it remarkable at how the media has everybody under their thumb. Let's be real people, these guys are paid to dig and report ANY scrap of information and spin it however they want. Yes, even the mighty Dreger or Mackenzie are nothing but glorified reporters.

Realistically, they probably don't even know 1/4 of what actually goes on. So stop getting your panties in a knot.

Archived