The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

This guy has the highest ceiling of any of our prospects but isn't the most NHL-ready of them. The rankings that put him at 5 or 6 in our system are hopefully going to look stupid in a couple of years. We haven't had a pure goal-scorer since Bure and I could get used to that again.

I believe their rankings are based on their current state of development/readiness. Not their respective ceilings.

As you said yourself he's not as ready as some other guys, that accordingly effects his current rating.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I haven't heard much on this kid, but I do hear that he got (Patrick) Kane like potential. Has anyone here watched him play?

I haven't heard much on this kid, but I do hear that he got (Patrick) Kane like potential. Has anyone here watched him play?

I've watched him play over a half dozen times in the last two years. I did see him in his rookie year but he didn't stand out that much for me, mostly because a 16 year old has to be amazing as I'm generally watching the next draft year level and the recent grads.

I've said before that he reminds me of Cory Stillman.

Hard shot, plus skater, strong centre of gravity, he competes, always around the net and has a quick release. Needs to back check harder and be consistent from shift to shift. What else do you want to know?

Guest Gumballthechewy

I've watched hours of highlights. does that count?

Ha ha! Makes you a better expert on him than I am! :lol: But I could even make a highlight reel that makes me look like Crosby. :P

I've seen a couple highlight vids of him but I was wondering if anyone here has seen him play.

I've watched him play over a half dozen times in the last two years. I did see him in his rookie year but he didn't stand out that much for me, mostly because a 16 year old has to be amazing as I'm generally watching the next draft year level and the recent grads.

I've said before that he reminds me of Cory Stillman.

Hard shot, plus skater, strong centre of gravity, he competes, always around the net and has a quick release. Needs to back check harder and be consistent from shift to shift. What else do you want to know?

That's great, thanks for the info. I'm not too familiar with Cory Stillman. What do you think about the P. Kane comparisons?

Ha ha! Makes you a better expert on him than I am! :lol: But I could even make a highlight reel that makes me look like Crosby. :P

I've seen a couple highlight vids of him but I was wondering if anyone here has seen him play.

yeah you'd probably look like the hotrod montage

That's great, thanks for the info. I'm not too familiar with Cory Stillman. What do you think about the P. Kane comparisons?

I don't like the Kane comparison, actually. They are pretty different players in a lot of ways.

Kane is shy on the body, Hunter isn't. He isn't big, and doesn't look it on the ice, but he plays with more of an edge when it comes to traffic. That may get him in trouble in the Pros unless he can get bigger but, at least in the Dub, he is stocky enough to get leaned on and push back some. He's more apt to dig along the side walls too. My guess is that he will continue get thicker and will be a tankish body type when he's finished growing. He will never be the biggest guy but he'll be strong.

The biggest difference is in the shot and passing. Hunter has a hard shot, including his slapper, that is mechanically good enough that I expect it will improve still. His accuracy is very good too and is not afraid to unleash it, especially his wrister. I've never seen anything that suggested he had the elite level hockey sense for behind the pack passes onto tape, or what have you, that you will see from Kane. His hockey sense, which is very good, is much more related to his ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Stillman is the guy I see because when he plays the point he can rip off a hard shot or slap pass effectively while always leaving himself the option to sneak in on a play. Stillman too had issues with bringing his best every shift, which took him a few years to figure out, and I think that is the biggest hurdle for Hunter too as his best and worst on a night are wildly different. He does go invisible for stretches. He also needs to play hard back every shift which he can but doesn't often enough.

As a comparison, I think I'm being flattering or at least optimistic considering Stillman was instrumental in two Cup wins but that was my assessment before he was Canucks property.

http://forum.canucks...__hl__shinkaruk

Guest Gumballthechewy

I don't like the Kane comparison, actually. They are pretty different players in a lot of ways.

Kane is shy on the body, Hunter isn't. He isn't big, and doesn't look it on the ice, but he plays with more of an edge when it comes to traffic. That may get him in trouble in the Pros unless he can get bigger but, at least in the Dub, he is stocky enough to get leaned on and push back some. He's more apt to dig along the side walls too. My guess is that he will continue get thicker and will be a tankish body type when he's finished growing. He will never be the biggest guy but he'll be strong.

The biggest difference is in the shot and passing. Hunter has a hard shot, including his slapper, that is mechanically good enough that I expect it will improve still. His accuracy is very good too and is not afraid to unleash it, especially his wrister. I've never seen anything that suggested he had the elite level hockey sense for behind the pack passes onto tape, or what have you, that you will see from Kane. His hockey sense, which is very good, is much more related to his ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Stillman is the guy I see because when he plays the point he can rip off a hard shot or slap pass effectively while always leaving himself the option to sneak in on a play. Stillman too had issues with bringing his best every shift, which took him a few years to figure out, and I think that is the biggest hurdle for Hunter too as his best and worst on a night are wildly different. He does go invisible for stretches. He also needs to play hard back every shift which he can but doesn't often enough.

As a comparison, I think I'm being flattering or at least optimistic considering Stillman was instrumental in two Cup wins but that was my assessment before he was Canucks property.

http://forum.canucks...__hl__shinkaruk

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

I like how he's feisty and I hope he can be consistant in the majors, he sounds like he'll be a great fit with this team in the future.

Again, thanks for the info, that was great!

Thanks for the more detailed assessment Minister :)

As has been pointed out, it's nice to read more info from folks who've actually seen him play than one might gleam from youtube vids (right Goose ;) ) or snippets/"insight" :rolleyes: from our sub par local media.

Archived