The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Interview: Monday, July 8 - 99.3 FM - 7:30 a.m.

CDeM85

Regardless of who was or wasnt trade I really hope both players pan out for their respective clubs. Schneider fills a void for new jersey and hopefully horvat does the same for the canucks.

As for luongo if he doesnt want to report his salary is covered by insurance but his cap hit remains. I still think he would be somewhat moronic to holdout and potentially destroy his olympic chances

I think you're bang on here Smashian.

We all know Luongo is still a legitimate, quality starting goaltender.

The only people that were truly devaluing him were the Eastern (Leafs) lobby; they were so obsessive about it that it took on a disproportionate life of it's own.

I also agree with you (and Luongo) regarding not blaming Gillis. I've still not heard a convincing explanation as to why Luongo should blame Gillis for anything. If Luo wants to assign blame, he's first have to reconsider his twisted and misquoted comments about being willing to waive his NTC if that's what's best for the team. A "no comment" would have been more effective despite the fact his actual comment was entirely inoffensive and in no way indicated a trade demand. Likewise with his "my contract sucks" comment - not intended to be anything other than a realistic concession, but in the context of an Eastern feeding frenzy waiting to pounce on every word, it wasn' the most calculated of statements.

Which leads to the fact he wasn't moved.

In my opinion, as a fan, I would rather have Cory Schneider and 5.3 million in cap space in a buyer's market, than Luongo and a 9th overall pick. I'm not complaining about the Horvat deal or selection, but I'd rather not still be talking about what the future of Luongo in Vancouver is.

The reason I can't blame Gillis is because (aside from the changing playing field) this looks like a bottom line financial decision.

Where I'd prefer Schneider and cap space, ownership clearly has a different set of interests, and in all likelihood values Luongo, Horvat and buyout money (taking a buyout contract back) than my preferred outcome.

I doubt Luo would have cleared waivers, so in the end, my Schneider and 5.3 in cap space vs Luo and Horvat isn't all that unrealistic.

What I have to wonder is where the line was? Was there the possibility of a deal if the Canucks took back Upshall,

Bergenheim, or Jovonovski?

I don't really know the actual contexts of real-world potential deals to get too upset about it, but Schneider and a few of the assets that could have been landed in free agency doesn't look so bad right now.

First of all, if you think Vancouver fans are royally ripped off, then why do we sell out every game? Supply and command, Bubs!! Deal with it, or get a better job.

Secondly, ours is a very different situation than the Islanders or Lightning. Luongo is still a GREAT goalie and is reasonably priced at this point. It's his future that looks bleak and nobody wants to be stuck with that hot potato. The Canucks decided that Lou still has what it takes for now, or else they would have kept Schneider. Buying out Luongo is not going to make our team better right now. So, who is to say that Aquilini isn't going to keep Lou for another 3 years and then buy him out? Look at how great of a mentor Lou was for Schneids. Don't you want that for Lac, Erickson or Cannata? (Dang, they might all turn out awesome)

Lastly, the Aquilini's have spent right up to the cap ceiling for how many years now? Every million they don't spend is another million in their pocket. Maybe you should look at your two examples of teams willing to buy out "Huge Contracts" and ask yourself again, how "committed to winning" are the Canuck owners?

Listen, the season isn't even close to starting yet and and decisions haven't been made yet, for good reason. People are whining about the owners for what? Exhausting every option before they flush millions down the toilet? How dare they. You clearly have a right to be "sick of these owners". Remind me how long NYI kept Dipietro before his buyout? lol

Lets just take a deep breath.

The sad thing about all of this, and something that every honest fan should recognize, is that there is a real likelihood that this core is simply not going to get it done. They looked really good in 2009 and 2010. Then they came soooo close in 2011. But since then, have fallen absolutely flat when it mattered since.

This year is going to mean a lot to this franchise. Sedins aren't getting any younger, but may be looking for one last big contract. But what if it happens again? What if we fizzle out in 4-5 games in the 2014 playoffs as well? What are we left with? We have one win in our last 11 playoff games! If that trend continues at all, at what point will we have to consider a rebuild?

If we flop again, had we waived (and possibly bought out Luongo), we'd be in a tight spot. We'd have Cory, but he'd be only one year from UFA. If we are heading toward a rebuild, maybe Schneider doesn't want to stay. At that point, with his impending UFA status, he'd probably be less valuable than he was last month. And we'd have quite limited options when it comes to prospects to rebuild with.

Instead, we have virtually the same team, with a fresh coach, being given a chance to shine again. And if everything starts falling apart again, at least we'll have a promising prospect with 1st-line potential rounding into form.

Him and Captain Scotty are trading houses, so that solves that. The whole interview is obviously light-hearted and ducked any obvious questions people want answers for, but when asked about the Sedins he did say, "they are our best players." and made a couple other references to being a Canuck. Take it how you want, but Luongo is savy enough that he could have easily said "they are Canucks best players" as if to imply he was not apart of the team.

i dont understand why you fan think highly of luo ..the guy is the most over rated goalie in the league ,have not won anything ,slow ,flop too many time and he is too old to be #1 goalie in this league..no wonder canuck will never hoist the cup ,coz of this lazy bum ...this day and age expoerience meant nothing in goalie ,as you look around ..the last 3 year ,it the young and inexperience goalie that won the cup ..i would say canuck have a great chance of winning the cup with corey ,but that vanish after he get trade to new jersey..you vancouver fan can keep dreaming of the cup as long as luo still here for the next decade !! good luck with that

That would be like Gillis coming on the radio, right after the Schneider trade, and talking about last Tuesday's episode of "America's Got Talent". This is Luongo's first interview, since the trade that sent shockwaves through the hockey community, and hockey will be the major topic of conversation. How in the world is he going to dance around all the goaltending questions?

I'd take this as a good sign. If he wasn't prepared to talk about the current situation and wasn't prepared to do so in a positive light, he wouldn't be doing this interview.

i dont understand why you fan think highly of luo ..the guy is the most over rated goalie in the league ,have not won anything ,slow ,flop too many time and he is too old to be #1 goalie in this league..no wonder canuck will never hoist the cup ,coz of this lazy bum ...this day and age expoerience meant nothing in goalie ,as you look around ..the last 3 year ,it the young and inexperience goalie that won the cup ..i would say canuck have a great chance of winning the cup with corey ,but that vanish after he get trade to new jersey..you vancouver fan can keep dreaming of the cup as long as luo still here for the next decade !! good luck with that

Yeah....show me one goalie that has never wound up on his belly.

BTW, Schneider was soooo great with the Canucks that he won 1 game in the playoffs....oh wait...he has played in 10, but only won once...hmnnn...that doesn't sound so great after all....

But thanks for hating on the Canucks for no reason except envy.

Sure, and in the 5 games Cory started, Luongo mopped up 1 - that's 20% - which also is Cory's winning percentage...not going to win a lot of playoff series when you only win 1 out of 5 games....

Percentage wise, Cory has mopped up 8% of Luongo's, and Luongo is 1 game above .500 as winning percentage...

Just saying...

I'm not trying to bash Lou here but he has lost his last six playoff games? I don't think you can point fingers at Cory's 1-5. The only way any of the two could have won any of there last six starts if if the stole the game, Cory did it once Lou did it zero. We need to come to terms our team sucks not the goalies.

Archived