The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Return

In the Slot

This is coming from a fan who appreciated everything Lou did/has done for this team, franchise, city, kids at canuck place on and on, but who actually wanted us to go with Cory. My view was if we traded Cory (given we have a terrific player in Lou) then we better get a ransom. We did not but what's done is done and we still have a goalie who is capable of wining a vezina and winning a cup.

That being said, this city, many of the fans, the media, etc have put this man who has given his own time to go talk to dying kids (how many of you have done that in your life?) and his family through the UTMOST OF GARBAGE over the last 3 years of his life.

If he comes back, which I think he will, I hope the following occur at home game 1 of the season, and if you're there I ask you as a fan, to show respect, to thank him, and to get behind him again.

1. I hope the nucks are smart enough, as they do with Rookies, as he leads them on to the ice, to stay back. They don't tell him, they just stop. Give him his ice.

2. Every single damn fan in that building gets their on their feet, and welcomes him home.

That's they way fans should act. You'd be surprised how much that would mean to a player. especially one that wears his heart on his sleeve.

Its funny, this man has given everything he has to this city, yet we just wanted to take more.

Perhaps its time for us to give back to him, to lift him up.

What you've described is how most fans do act anyways. Don't mistake the loud obnoxious minority as the norm.

It's like the other day when iw as being positive and you kept telling me to grab my pom poms and blah blah blah. You were being the loud obnoxious minority but I knew in that moment that most fans of this team are actually fairly well balanced people who enjoy cheering for this team and aren't trying to find the negative in everything; yourself included. We all just have our moments.

I don't care who is leading our team onto the ice on October. But if it's Luongo, I will cheer just a little bit more. Imagine if he doesn't report to camp and walks away from his contract. Bo Horvat will really feel the pressure. Basically it will be 2 elite goalies for Bo Horvat.

Regardless of what Luongo does. I will back his decision. He has earned my respect. I blame the finals loss all on our inability to score and AV's tactics.

I don't care who is leading our team onto the ice on October. But if it's Luongo, I will cheer just a little bit more. Imagine if he doesn't report to camp and walks away from his contract. Bo Horvat will really feel the pressure. Basically it will be 2 elite goalies for Bo Horvat.

Regardless of what Luongo does. I will back his decision. He has earned my respect. I blame the finals loss all on our inability to score and AV's tactics.

What you've described is how most fans do act anyways. Don't mistake the loud obnoxious minority as the norm.

It's like the other day when iw as being positive and you kept telling me to grab my pom poms and blah blah blah. You were being the loud obnoxious minority but I knew in that moment that most fans of this team are actually fairly well balanced people who enjoy cheering for this team and aren't trying to find the negative in everything; yourself included. We all just have our moments.

At this point the optics aren't good, even if the reality is different.

If Luongo reports, our 'goaltending controversy' still remains. And that is not good.

If he doesn't report, our 'goalie graveyard' still remains. And that is also not good.

So our options, according to what's going to be said out there, are lose... Or lose big. Oh goodie.

Not to mention, 'Why is it that our team cannot handle a simple goaltending tandem? Or rather, why is it that our team handled it in the most horrible way possible?'

At this point the optics aren't good, even if the reality is different.

If Luongo reports, our 'goaltending controversy' still remains. And that is not good.

If he doesn't report, our 'goalie graveyard' still remains. And that is also not good.

So our options, according to what's going to be said out there, are lose... Or lose big. Oh goodie.

Not to mention, 'Why is it that our team cannot handle a simple goaltending tandem? Or rather, why is it that our team handled it in the most horrible way possible?'

Archived