The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund Rumor] Canucks Targeting Brad Boyes

If Kassian is on the fourth line, get him a center:

Or put Kassian "the guy" on the first line.

Of course, if one is against Horvat or Shinkaruk making a Tortorella-led team, then Kassian ought to learn his defensive skills with the best defensive second center in the game; Kesler, whether that is on what is, to this day, most likely on the second line, or whether is is finally on the third line to win a Cup.

Of course that might depend on whether Horvat or Shinkaruk make a Tortorella-led team...

I am not sold on seeing the same lines as I've seen under AV as with Tortorella. I strongly believe there will be quite a few surprises.

Wow, if your suggesting Hansen's scoring is that of a first liner > I suggest applying for Columbus's GM job, circa 2011.

As impressive as his stats were this past year, Hansen's numbers were partly a result of playing third tier match ups. Scout his game? He is a hounding fore-checker, skates passing lanes, hits, plays well positionally and uses great speed to take advantage of opponents mistakes. It means he is doing an extremely good job of the role he is given on our 3rd line. He's pretty good at digging out pucks on the boards which is always handy. But, offensively... while having a decent shot and reflex passing he is not by any stretch considered a good puck possession player. He does not "dangle"and hold onto the puck against pressure, then have the composure to distribute, nor have the brute force to drive the puck to the net. There is every reason to leave him exactly where he is, maybe play a defensive role with Kesler, and NONE to put him on a first line.

He played 2nd line minutes a fair bit because of us having no true 2nd line. And he produced just as well on the 2nd line as when he was on the 3rd despite harder competition. I agree that production needs to be weighted against quality of competition (ahem Domi vs Horvat) but in Hansen's case this only adds to how impressed we should be. Only our first liners, Kesler and (briefly) Derek Roy faced tougher competition all while having much higher quality teammates than Hansen.

The only knock against him was that he was given 52% offensive zone starts but for someone generating points instead of playing a defensive, Malhotra-type game, that's perfectly acceptable.

Nothing against Boyes but if we do sign another forward, it will be unnecessary. Not to imply that our young guys are going to fill the holes, but if only Kassian and Schroeder make the team (which they damn well better) then no other rookies will have a place and Santorelli and Ferriero become our 13th and 14th forwards. Our rookies will get a few games here and there but unless someone really breaks out, anything more would be rushing them.

If we acquire someone else, it makes more sense to trade for them which I don't see us doing. Too many question marks, contracts expiring and, unless a screaming deal comes along, there's not much in our defense or top 9 who are likely to be moved.

Archived