The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mikhail Grabovski taking his time before signing

Mikhail Grabovski taking his time before signing:

Unrestricted free agent center Mikhail Grabovski isn't rushing his decision to sign with a new team this off-season, despite serious interest from a few clubs.

Grabovski, 29, became a free agent after being bought out by the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 4.

Several teams, including the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Washington Capitals, Tampa Bay Lightning and Detroit Red Wings, had expressed an interest in Grabovski, though its unclear which teams are still in the mix.

According to Craig Custance of ESPN, Grabovski's agent Gary Greenstin told him three teams are "very interested" in his client.

Custance also indicated, though, that a decision is not expected to be made until August.

A number of teams are looking to make trades in order to free up some salary cap space or create a roster spot, and that has affected some free agents, like Grabovski, from signing.

In 48 games with the Leafs this past season, Grabovski registered nine goals and seven assists for 16 points.

In 367 career NHL regular-season games with the Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leafs, Grabovski registered 94 goals and 123 assists for 217 points.

Drafted by the Habs in the fifth-round (150th overall) in 2004, Grabovski was traded to Toronto on July 3, 2008 in exchange for Greg Pateryn and a second-round pick.

http://www.thefourth.../ana130722.html

Interesting that this comes on the same day as Raymonds's agent's comments, essentially saying the same thing. I haven't researched it in past years but I feel like there's a second wave of minor FA signings that doesn't happen until all the arbitration hearings are done, as teams are still unsure where they will stand in terms of roster spots / cap space.

As other have stated, if we could fit him in cap-wise, I would love him as the 3C. Henrik - Kesler - Grabovski - Richardson. That's pretty good depth.

That said, I don't think it's possible unless we move salary (ie Booth).

If they do get Grabovski after already signing Clowe, Ryder, and Jagr..

Elias - Zajac - Ryder

Clowe - Grabovski - Jagr

Solid top six. Signing Grabovski would make Henrique the Devils' 3C. And with the Brunner and Raymond rumours Lou would have more than replaced Kovalchuk.

Archived