The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penguins' Fleury to see a Sports Psychologist

Drouin

"The Penguins and Fleury mutually agreed to address his mental approach via a sports psychologist. Shero had previously asked Fleury to meet with one. It's finally happening this summer." [Tribune Review]

Deserved or not, the indignities keep flying at Marc-Andre Fleury.

First, his team shunned him. Now, his country.

Could the entire world be next?

“The Olympic thing, I'm not going to make too much of,” said Penguins general manager Ray Shero, busy with Team USA and not inclined to opine on Team Canada, which invited five goalies not named Fleury to its tryout camp. “But if he takes something personal, good for him.”

Good for him, indeed. Maybe it's time Fleury got ticked off. It's time for him to take more ownership of his career and reclaim his lost reputation as a big-game goalie.

The Penguins are making the right move in retaining Fleury, for these reasons:

• He's still young (28) and highly productive in the regular season. This isn't exactly the golden age of goalies, you know. After Henrik Lundqvist, who has yet to play for a Cup, there aren't many goalies sporting lengthy resumes that scream, “franchise player!” At least you can pencil in Fleury for 35-plus wins.

• A yet-to-be-named goalie coach will provide Fleury a new voice.

• The Penguins and Fleury mutually agreed to address his mental approach via a sports psychologist.

Shero had previously asked Fleury to meet with one. It's finally happening this summer.

Good for the Penguins. Good for Fleury. These kinds of relationships happen across society, so of course they happen in sports. They're healthy. Pirates pitcher Charlie Morton benefited from such a relationship. So did Penguins winger Matt Cooke.

Fleury doesn't have physical issues. His playoff failures would appear to be more in his head.

“The playoffs are the question mark he's had the past four years,” Shero said. “I think it's probably something on his mind.”

Shero expanded on the idea of talking things out with a professional.

“Goalie is a delicate position, no different than a golfer or a tennis player: You're on your own a lot,” Shero said. “I think it's a good step for him, which he's really taken seriously since our year-end meeting. It's kind of like the situation with Matt Cooke in that you can't just hope you're going to come back and things are going to be different.

“A lot of guys talk to somebody. It's a confidence thing.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/...s#ixzz2a8SkhgFX

Fleury has spent most of his career being consistently inconsistent. He only had a few years, coinciding when he got rid of those big yellow pads and coincidentally around the time he won the cup. Then he went back to his old ways but the team in front of him was so good nobody seemed to notice until it really started unraveling the last few years.

Goalie is such a tough position to play in terms of mental pressure. He clearly has the physical talent but he is a total head-case.

Fleury has spent most of his career being consistently inconsistent. He only had a few years, coinciding when he got rid of those big yellow pads and coincidentally around the time he won the cup. Then he went back to his old ways but the team in front of him was so good nobody seemed to notice until it really started unraveling the last few years.

Goalie is such a tough position to play in terms of mental pressure. He clearly has the physical talent but he is a total head-case.

Can't hurt.

But personally I never understood why people even considered him some elite talent to begin with. 7 years in the playoffs, 1 strong year, 1 mediocre, and 5 painfully bad years. His season numbers are above average though he benefits from constantly playing behind loaded teams. Even so he was never an intimidating goalie I have seen numerous division rival games mid season throughout the years where he cracks and lets goals just flow in. I just never saw him as more than an average goalie who fell into a good gig.

Good move by Fleury. The guy is super talented by obviously something has got in the way of him being consistently successful. It would be a mental situation (i.e. anxiety) and if that's the case he can get the help he needs. Mental illnesses are no different than physical illnesses.

Honestly even the best of us need psychologists at one poiint of our lives. Especially all athletes.

Hope he regains his confidence... but imo he's overrated. He can turn it around for sure.

This isn't big news, a lot of teams have a sport psychologist on staff. It's a great way to train mentally, many athletes use them on a regular basis. This isn't about counselling, they work on the mental aspect and preparation for performance. Very valuable stuff.

I would have thought all the players were consulting with sports psychologists. Given the amount of pressure they're under to perform on a nightly basis, it would make sense no?

Either way, good for Fleury. Goaltending is a tough job and when your confidence is shattered and the snubs keep coming, it feels like you'll never be good again and if feels like anything you ever have accomplished in your career doesn't matter anymore. You feel like no one trusts you and you have to prove yourself all over again. It's a lonely place to be. If a psychologist can talk him though the process and give him some different points of view and perspectives, it'll only help him rekindle the love for goaltending faster.

Archived