The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WJHC Development Camp Lines

Nail

like that time you said schroeder would make it before hodgson.

Technically you were right but I don't think you're giving gaunce enough credit, considering he pretty much carried Bellville on his back during the start of their season.

The good thing is Gaunce can also play left wing if need be.

I think the coaches know what Gaunce can bring. He was a great captain and clutch player for Belleville in their run last season, and was named the best defensive forward in the OHL Eastern Conference.

Practice lines mean nothing right now. I'm sure they'll change quite a bit over the next week. Guys like Laughton, Drouin, and Mackinnon will also likely be in the NHL next season and might not be available.

Either way, still lots of time for Gaunce to prove himself.

Gaunce is severely overrated by Canucks fans. He's not that great of a prospect and has very limited upside. He's not going to make WJC or the Canucks next year.

Horvat even has a better shot at making the nucks.

No mention of Gaunce or Shinkaruk,,,but Bo got an assist....

BROSSARD, Que. -- Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67s scored in regulation time and got the game-winner in a shootout as the Red team beat the Whites 3-2 in a controlled scrimmage Monday at the national junior hockey team development camp.

The game was played in two 30-minute halves.

Emile Poirier of the Gatineau Olympics gave the Reds a two-goal lead early in the second half.

But 16-year-old Connor McDavid of the Erie Otters scored on a penalty shot and assisted on the tying goal from defenceman Matt Finn of the Guelph Storm.

Monahan was the only scorer through six rounds of the shootout. The centre picked sixth overall in June by the Calgary Flames deked to the backhand and scored into an open side.

He opened the scoring after a nifty pass across the crease from linemate Bo Harvat of the London Knights. Monahan hesitated a split second and then beat Jake Paterson of the Saginaw Spirit up high from close range.

Poirier banged one in from a scramble in front of Zachary Fucale of the Halifax Mooseheads.

McDavid was given a penalty shot after a slash and beat Paterson with a deke, while Finn scored with 10 minutes to play on a blast from the high slot.

The scrimage ended two days of workouts at the Montreal Canadiens practice facility.

The team was to leave later in the day for Lake Placid, N.Y. , where they will play exhibition games Wednesday against Finland, Thursday against Sweden and Saturday against the United States.

The camp is the first step toward selecting the team to represent Canada at the world junior championship Dec. 26 to Jan. 5 in Malmo, Sweden.

So Gaunce pretty much has to eliminate 8 players from the group of 21 forwards. Since he can play left wing and center it gives him a bit of an advantage on some guys.

Guys I think he can beat out:

Girard

Hudon

Jankowski

Leipsic

Rupert

Wilson

Guys that may be unlikely to make it because of their age:

Reinhart

McDavid

Guys that will likely be in the NHL and not granted permission to go:

Drouin

Mackinnon

It will definitely be close for Gaunce making the team. He's gonna have to show that he can put up some points on top of being a physical defensive forward.

I'm just going by what someone said of Gaunce from his live viewing of practice yesterday. Since there isn't a lot of media covering the camp I'll take his word for it. I know you love Gaunce but you don't have to be so defensive.

Look it's only summer camp but when Gaunce (19 year old) is being relegated to extra skater doesn't look good. WJC is a 19 year old tournament, keep that in mind. When younger players are slotted in favor of him it does make me wonder what his chances are at making the team.

Archived