The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Different Team, Same Problems

Headshot

I am soooo sick of this useless phrase.  Hockey is a savage sport played by savage modern day warriors. This soft, weak ass, watered down league we have now where utter wastes of skin like Avery(in the past)  Marchand, Kieth, Carcillo, Cooke  can run around without  the fear of justice.  There really is not a whole lot of class needed or wanted out there on the ice. If guys are targeted it is for a reason. I am not justifying that guys comments on Hodgson but seriously comments like yours do nothing for the thread or the forum. What are you part of the NHL and it's disciplinary team ?  Pff please get over yourself.

LMAO you are hilarious. your lack of knowledge of how this game is played is brutally obvious. Where did I say I  wanted players careers to be ended ? It  is players like those I mentioned that try to end players career or are you completely blind when watching a game ? They need to be policed on the ice or tossed out of  the league to send a message that kind of play will not go unpunished. Your assumptions about every post are so far from the point I truly question your level of reading and comprehension.

Meh...most of these conversations in the off-season need to be taken with a grain of salt anyways.

Half of the threads turn into a battle ground between the over-enthused and the underwhelmed over how next season is going to play out (especially line up threads lol)...and a good portion of the topics never get back on track :P

So I will try to stay on topic....Although I admire the offensive abilities of Hodgson, at this point I'm happy that Vancouver has a player with the potential of Mr. Kassian that also appears to be a character guy and is much less maintenance than Cody was. The last thing the Canucks needed after this Luongo/Schneider debaucle was a major contract fiasco to further demoralize our fanbase.

To be honest, I was wondering how Hodgson was going to fit on the Canucks before he was even traded. I never really felt it to be a shocking trade at all.

I liked the trade. Even if Hodgson proves to be a better player, Kassian still has a better chance at making an impact on this team.

Winter is a total dink.

None of you ever read the BS he pulled with Slats when he was aggressively trying to get his client at the time, Grant Fuhr, re-signed??

Fuhr and his agent, Rich Winter, made headlines during the summer of 1989 because of a protracted and bizarre dispute with Edmonton general manager Glen Sather. Winter and Sather had long disliked each other, dating back to Fuhr's 1987 contract negotiations in which the two engaged in a shoving match. By 1989, Winter was accusing the Oilers of cheating their players by trading Wayne Gretzky so that none of them could earn their projected bonus money for the 1988-89 season (i.e. the team would be unable to win the Stanley Cup without Gretzky). Winter and Sather were already arguing over the contract for another Winter client, Esa Tikkanen, when Winter announced that Fuhr was considering retirement if the NHL and Oilers did not agree to a special waiver of the league's rules on licensing rights. Winter had cut a reported five-year deal with the Pepsi-Cola Company that called for Fuhr to wear the Pepsi logo on his pads, beginning in the 1989-90 season. The NHL strictly prohibited players from selling advertising space on their equipment. Winter told the Oilers that Fuhr would retire if he was not allowed to wear the Pepsi logo. On June 8, 1989, Fuhr presented signed retirement papers to Sather, which, if filed with the NHL, would rule Fuhr out of the 1989-90 season. Convinced the retirement was nothing more than a negotiating ploy -- because Fuhr had asked the papers be held in trust until further notice -- Sather waited until training camp to see if Fuhr was really serious about quitting hockey. Event though five year's remained on Fuhr's contract, Fuhr and Winter vowed that Fuhr would not report to training camp unless he could wear the Pepsi logo. The goalie said he would rather sell cars at an Edmonton-area dealership than play under licensing restrictions. Fuhr claimed that he was trying to win a victory for players' rights, but others were sure that Winter had orchestrated everything to force a renegotiation of Fuhr's long-term contract in exchange for which Winter would drop the logo request. This was the same contract Winter had begrudgingly advised his client to sign two years earlier. When signed, the deal was thought to be worth $500,000 per year, but turned out to be worth closer to $400,000 per year. There was also speculation that Winter hoped to force a trade to Detroit, which was willing to pay Fuhr more than he was earning in Edmonton. Fed up with Winter, Sather cut off his Fuhr talks with the agent, making Fuhr's status for 1989-90 even more uncertain. As media criticism of Winter mounted, and as he acknowledged he really didn't want to retire, Fuhr shifted his legal work to Edmonton attorney Ramon McKall in an effort to get out of his Oilers contract. The situation was finally resolved in a two-hour meeting between Fuhr and Sather on Aug. 24, 1989. Following that meeting, Fuhr announced he was not going to retire and would report to Edmonton's training camp as scheduled. He had no trouble walking away from the Pepsi deal, either, and said he was surprised to find out that the NHL, rather than the Oilers, was responsible for his not being allowed to put the logo on his pads. Winter still argued that the NHL did not have the right to ban the Pepsi pads, but his client had already lost interest in the arrangement. Some years later, Fuhr would drop Winter as his agent, saying he was uncomfortable with Winter's negotiating tactics

It would make sense that some players simply focus on hockey and don't focus on anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if Winters approached him and offered to be his agent. A simple "yes" without research would have made it happen.

Archived