The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Favorite Beer?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Ugh, just moved to Toronto and the beer is just not as good here. No P49 Gypsy Tears, no Russel Angry Scotch Ale, no Stanley Park Nobel Pilsner. Steam Whistle ain't bad but it's just not the same.

If I recall, there's some good brews from Quebec you might be able to locate at least at liquor stores (if not pubs, restaurants etc).

If I recall, there's some good brews from Quebec you might be able to locate at least at liquor stores (if not pubs, restaurants etc).

Yup, McAuslan makes some nice ones, and certainly Unibroue has all their fantastic beers. I enjoyed all the Muskoka brews I had as well, but it's nothing like wandering around Vancouver and practically getting hit over the head by all the craft breweries.

• 3 weeks later...

very raspberry right off the start. the smell is almost of like baby bottle pops' blue raspberry. it's taste is very candy-like, but very raspberry, very smooth, but real tart. the tartness hits you right up front. i would buy this guy again

0715-st-ambroise-fram-01.jpg

I almost find this to be more "cooler" than beer. Don't get me wrong, it DOES taste good, I'm just not sure it tastes like beer lol.

Picked up the summer case from Unibroue ..tried a couple so far (the apple and I think the blonde) and they were both tasty. Might give the strong one a go tonight just before / after the kids go to bed and get my drink on.

I almost find this to be more "cooler" than beer. Don't get me wrong, it DOES taste good, I'm just not sure it tastes like beer lol.

Picked up the summer case from Unibroue ..tried a couple so far (the apple and I think the blonde) and they were both tasty. Might give the strong one a go tonight just before / after the kids go to bed and get my drink on.

on the finish, it's straight up beer. i would agree that the raspberry hits you hard, and it's borderline "cooler" but you do get those notes of beer. there is a slight hoppiness to it with a caramely finish in that mass of raspberry

i'm drinkin this guy right now. dead frog's been real hit and miss over the past couple of years, but i like this one. the hops are just right-- very subtle

11202595_10206196435726554_5927095099016

• 3 weeks later...

i'm quite disappointed with this. it pours a beautiful red, with a pink head-- very pleasing to look at. i think they went a tad overboard with the munich malts here. taste is akin to a euro lager (heineken, etc), slight sourness and the raspberry isn't all that there

11796262_10206339589505309_4667094712401

this guy though

5e7c96845b3122e1b96ef5f408d28d26_320x320

does not eff around on the cherry. it's borderline artificial flavouring with malic acid added, very tart, very sour. surprisingly i loved it

i'm quite disappointed with this. it pours a beautiful red, with a pink head-- very pleasing to look at. i think they went a tad overboard with the munich malts here. taste is akin to a euro lager (heineken, etc), slight sourness and the raspberry isn't all that there

11796262_10206339589505309_4667094712401

this guy though

5e7c96845b3122e1b96ef5f408d28d26_320x320

does not eff around on the cherry. it's borderline artificial flavouring with malic acid added, very tart, very sour. surprisingly i loved it

Love the Parallel49 brews, good call! cheers.

Had the Frambozen last night, not too impressive. Not terrible, just blah with added fruit flavour.

Now this one on the other hand:

11800158_10152930087922601_3671324719146

Yum, even if it is more hoppy than I tend to like.

Also had a few beer while on vaca in Penticton, tasted plenty and picked up a couple of bottles that suited me:

11737869_10152903749582601_6560598446204

I was particularly impressed with the Bad Tattoo brews. I've had Cannery stuff before and went to check out their new location and grabbed one of my favourites of theirs, the summer ale, and a dry hopped maibock that looked interesting.

detail-stumbling-goat.png

Bad Tattoo had the above weisse that was quite good as well as a kolsch and a dark cerveza that I particularly liked.

Muertos-Negra-wet-btl-glass-crop-SM-691x

They have some great pizza too if you're ever in downtown Penticton and want to try something different.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any Innis & Gunn in particular?

I just grabbed a grunt from Strange Fellows brewery in Vancouver. It's called Framboise Noir, so obviously a little bit sweeter with the raspberry taste but it wasn't overpowering at all. Really nice beer to transition from summer to fall.

kronenbourg 1664 is my go-to atm. RIP sleeman honey. you've served me well for so many years D:

My rugby club is changing their sponsorship from Sleeman's to MGD. We've had Sleeman's Draught on tap as well as all their cans for years now. Wasn't happy to hear that at first, but they'll have a couple of rotating craft brews on tap for us beer connoisseurs so I can't complain.

Archived