The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC continues to ignore West and the Canucks

Slegr

It does annoy me when I miss the opening of a playoff game to finish someone else's game. I'm not suggesting that we miss overtime, but is there no other option? Split screens for the duration? Delaying the game for 15 minutes? East Coast/ West Coast split broadcasts for the duration of the overlap?

As much as missing the start of a game irritates people, can you imagine the outrage if they cut off the end of a game? Split screen seems like a reasonable option (and CBC has done it at times). For playoff games in overtime that can go on forever, it gets harder (watching 5 or 10 minutes of split screen is fine, but after that...). Splitting the feed to another channel works if you are watching live - not so much if you are recording it (that has happended to me - watching a recording with a tag on it saying what channel to turn to to watch the game I wanted - not very helpful!).

No, I was referring to the Toronto-centric nature of the whole hockey broadcast, even during the west coast game, to the point of a senile octogenarian running Toronto game highlights between periods. This is a Toronto broadcast, not a Canadian broadcast, run by the publicly paid for CBC. To me, that's embarrassing. I was just wondering, what would Americans think if the NFL rights were given year after year to a network that obsessed over the NY Giants and slagged the other franchises.

I think I know the answer.

Most accurate post here. A Canadian funded station should not show any biased opinion or broadcasting. That is not how they do it though. In all reality the early games should be evenly split between Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa. West should be split between Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton right up until CBC runs itself with no government funding, them they can be as biased as they want.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how the Eastern bias of CBC will handle this special night of recognizing Pavel Bure. Or as Don Cherry called him on our taxpayer funded broadcasts, 'the weasel'. Should be an interesting coaches corner.

posted by Spoosh

"Dunno if you are catching this, but at the TV break, the commentators were laughing at Gino and asking each other wether he was drunk or not :) And then said he should have dressed differently for the ceremony!"

... anyone get video of CBC saying Gino was drunk? I've seen it mentioned but no video?

Spoosh, on 02 November 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I'm in Finland. I get all and every NHL game from an operator called Viaplay. Costs 25€/ month. And they vary from game to game. TSN, CBS, MSG or whatever. Some have our commercials running during breaks, but most don't.

I posted this in the GDT too:

Dunno if you are catching this, but at the TV break, the commentators were laughing at Gino and asking each other wether he was drunk or not :) And then said he should have dressed differently for the ceremony! If this is true, someone NEEDS to find it and somehow post it. That should honestly be enough to get some CBC commentators FIRED. That would be absolutely classless.

It's not the CBC 's fault it's Hockey Night In Canada ( Toronto) they're the bias all Leaf all the time show.

That broadcast last night was about the worst I've ever heard as far as being onesided.

Even when the Leafs were out of it itwas praise the Leafs time.

The CBC is the only Canadian network with the balls to ask the government tough question and investigate these sleezy politicians running canada.

By the way I never realized Kessel was such a whinner.

• 4 weeks later...

This team deserves to be ignored right now, Gillis doesn't have clue how to build a contender.

13 wins in 28 games.One ahead of Winnipeg and Dallas although the Stars have FOUR games in hand.

I figure most everyone is at a loss for words except Tootsie.

I'd rather watch Canucks games on Sportsnet. I hate the play by play and color commentating CBC has. And let's not forget about the intermission crap they play. Sportsnet > CBC

WELL SAID. The play by play announcers on CBC we end up getting are those two sterile sounding, government football analyst. They ruin the game. Glad to see those Government workers finally get what they deserve after 55 years and be thrown out on the street. Lazy good for nothing parasitic - leaches! Once sportsnet takes over and broadcast scheduled are driven by market instead of governmental legislation and bias, we will see changes. What goes around comes around!

WELL SAID. The play by play announcers on CBC we end up getting are those two sterile sounding, government football analyst. They ruin the game. Glad to see those Government workers finally get what they deserve after 55 years and be thrown out on the street. Lazy good for nothing parasitic - leaches! Once sportsnet takes over and broadcast scheduled are driven by market instead of governmental legislation and bias, we will see changes. What goes around comes around!

So you think one company having a virtual monoply over all communication and broadcast rights is better?

Archived