The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The September Camp Thread,list of invitees, cuts etc updated daily

Primal Optimist

When you thin of guys making our team do you only think of how they will do in th Regular Season only? I'm sick of the reg season accomplishments & no CUP. I will take 8th place in west for the CUP. With that being said, WE NEED MORE BITE and Jensen & Gaunce do not provide any BITE......

this is fantastic. comparing him to bonafide top 6 scorer, all star selection; and that is supposed to be a slight on jensen. i realize you're trying to say he looks like grabner while he was here and blah blah blah but your reasoning supports a logical opinion that maybe, just maybe, pre season games are not the end all be all of deciding a players potential.

Actually you're really overanalyzing.

In no way did I say that preseason is the determining factor. It was more about Grabners attitude adjustment that happened when he moved from florida to the islanders, where he is even on record as saying he picked up his effort.

Aside from his hattrick game vs Anaheim he really didn't stand out at the time here in Van. Talented as hell yes but you can't deny he blended in a lot and wasnt really noticeable when he was with Vancouver .

Jensen needs to make things happen rather than waiting for the play to come to him.

but the preseason is what you're basing this on is my point. lets see where he is when he gets his skating legs and the games matter. all the stuff about grabner i have to agree with. It's just not that fair of a comparison at this point. i would really hate to see jensen go the way of grabner, and we're stuck here watching another talented forward lighting up the eastern conference on a rebuilding team in a few years.

if he's not ready this season, why is that even such an issue? we wonder about his focus and intensity, and his ability to make things happen. if those things aren't NHL level yet, why do people think its a failure on his part to play in the AHL? that isn't necessarily directed at you blackberries, just something i've noticed from several posters here.

Guance's skating is not quite NHL caliber yet. I think he could do better with another year of seasoning. Same goes for Horvat.

Corrado and Jensen should be sent to the minors to get more minutes and playing time and then called up later in the year.

Barring something unforeseen the roster with Booth returning from injury is pretty much set.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Edler-Garrison

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Alberts-Tanev

Sestito-Richardson-Weise ,Santorelli

Andersson,Weber

Luongo

Lack

So after preaching that they want kids in the lineup, Schroeder ends up being the only one to make the team?

I don't see it. I think they'll give at least one young guy some leeway to make the team whether people may think they're ready or not.

My guess is it will be Gaunce. He seems to be the most physically and mentally mature out of our prospects. He's just gotta work with our skating coach some more.

I would be shocked if Corrado is not on the team. He has played his way there and shown he can keep up at even a playoff pace.

I'd like for Gaunce to get his maximum before making a decision, but Shinkaruk is the guys that I think deserves a real good look in the regular season, because he has looked absolutely awesome. I don't doubt that he would go back down after his max games played, but I'd love to see his confidence flying sky high going in to this season in the WHL, and then pencil him in for next year.

Horvat will take a couple years before he challenges, but I do like his speed and tenacity. He also has good vision and play making ability. It would have been nice to see some of his finishing ability, but oh well.

The young guys haven't been good enough to push a contract player out of the roster. Its better if they go back to Junior/ AHL. Gaunce is a maybe but I'd like to see him work on his offensive game and really lead his OHL team and also get the chance for Team Canada. Jensen needs to realize he's not going to be handed a roster spot and hopefully he wakes up once he gets sent to the AHL, enough that we can trade Booth and have Jensen step in. If not I'm sure he'll be up for injuries.

Archived