The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The September Camp Thread,list of invitees, cuts etc updated daily

Primal Optimist

So after preaching that they want kids in the lineup, Schroeder ends up being the only one to make the team?

I don't see it. I think they'll give at least one young guy some leeway to make the team whether people may think they're ready or not.

My guess is it will be Gaunce. He seems to be the most physically and mentally mature out of our prospects. He's just gotta work with our skating coach some more.

Never say never....there could be one under 20 guy on the team this year, but I think the fellow above who suggested MG won't rush his prospects is correct, there is always room for exceptional circumstances.

PS: every time I think Schroeder might be able to secure the last center spot, I am reminded that he is 5'8" tall and 175 pounds....and that is very hard to overlook at the NHL level. He is going to be beaten up and pushed around every minute of icetime he has by men who beat people up and push folks around. That eats me up a bit...and makes me really question his top end potential.

I think one upside of all of this folks (that it doesn't really look like any of the kids will make it), is..

1. We know we have some talent coming

2. Some of these kids if on weaker teams would be rushed, which increases their 'bust' probability

3. I think we can all see they have talent, and if a guy like Jensen can't make it yet and maybe not Shink either, it says something

4. That our roster is actually better than people think/give it credit for....

That number 4 is actually the interesting take away here...at least to me..our vets have really showed up to camp and are competing, not giving anyone a 'door'.

That's a credit to them, to Torts for putting some fear in them, for even MG for bringing in guys like Richardson (who has looked like he'll make us forget about Lappy prettty quick), and Santorelli who also seems to be a bit of a sleeper pick,

Would have liked more size brought in for the 4th line (given Weiss and Tostito seem to think they are locks and not doing much)...

but nonetheless, point is...I'd be glad if none of em make it and take another year to work on their weaknesses and gain strength. Just means when they transition they will be that much more ready.

Future looks decent, and present we're still in the hunt...all you can ask for!

go canucks go!

Lol this is amusing... We got the only kid that has an identical skating style to Crosby and can pick corners like Sakic and we wanna send him to develop for 3-5 years???? Okay that's fine if you want a stable 3rd liner developed. But players that dominate the league usually can prove at 18 that they belong in the show, develop by playing against the worlds best & become dominant there by 20ish. Can you imagine if all teams used this philosophy...I'd say give the kid a few games against nhlers once the career ahlers leave and if he can hold his own keep him there.

Archived