The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

-Vintage Canuck-

I liked Cannata, I liked Lack, both were good. I really think Cannata could give Eriksson a tough time to grab that starters spot. Its just as much his as it is Eriksson's IMO, he may even be better than Eriksson. I liked what I saw from him tonight, you can really see how much he has improved since turning pro.

Horvat, Shinkaruk & Gaunce had there moments, it was good games from those guys, Jensen didn't do much, but there was some solid effort there, just gotta translate it into some success,

Kesler looked good, I think it will be a good year for him.

Hamhuis again showed why he's one of our most valuable players.

Tommernes looked good, he's soaring up my list of our top prospects, I think he may see some games this year.

Corrado is ready for the NHL. I really like what we have there, I envision him wearing an 'A' in the future and being a strong, important 2-3 guy somewhere down the line.

There were some real bright spots tonight, can't wait to see Schroeder play in our next one! :)

For next game on Wednesday against Edmonton the players that haven't played yet are: Sedins, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen, Schroeder, De Fazio, Mallet, Friesen, Myron, Stuart, Richardson, Santortelli, Ferriero, Blomstrand. My guess lineup would be

Sedins - Kassian

Mallet - Schroeder - Hansen

Blomstrand - Richardson - Jensen

Friesen - Santortelli - Stuart

On defense we got Andersson, Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Blain, Tanev, Sauve, Polasek. My guess at a lineup would be

Edler - Blain

Andersson - Tanev

Sauve - Bieksa

Want to see Eriksson in the 2nd and 3rd while Cannata continues where he left off

Cannata (1st)

Eriksson (2nd,3rd)

I wanted to see a bit more of Jensen, Cannata before writing that as their first impression.

He obviously meant Gaunce but I hate Kenward, such a horrible Web host.

He's a jerk too. I ran into him once at a Canucks game. He was just chilling there on the concourse. It's not like he was busy or anything. So I went up and said hi and he totally ignored me. Looked right at me and walked away. Doof

And I hate his interviews. Asks the same questions to every player. No new material and never asks what the fans want to know. Just generic crap that always draws cliche answers from the players.

Both goalies played well; I really liked Corrado and Tommernes (and not just because he had 2 points); and Shinkaruk and Gaunce had glimpses. Other than that, I thought we really did have as much compete as the Sharks did.

Oh, and Alberts and Biega looked terrible.

Mike Sullivan is singing Shinkaruk's praises in his post game presser right now. Clearly the coaches like him

If AV were here the young kids would be on a bus to the minors right now. Hopefully they get a longer look with this new coaching staff

I know we are going to hear a lot about how bad AV was with youth etc, but there are some frightening things from last nights game that I don't think would have happened under AV.

I don't know how accurate the stats are for the pre-season but the game sheet shows Kesler played more than 25 minutes and Burrows played more than 23. Guance played 10. That worries me greatly. I know Tortorella was up stairs but things need to be managed better than that. I suspect the coaching staff is going to take a lot of heat today for the amount of minutes the vets played last night. Especially since there is supposed to be a youth movement going on. Kesler needs to be protected this early in the season with his history.

Beyond that its the first game and its really hard to get a sense of who is good because outside of 4-5 players on each squad there aren't a lot of known commodities on the ice. I always like to see Games 3-5 of the pre-season. I feel like that's when the real auditions start. I do think Shinkaruk looks like the best player the Canukcs have drafted in a real long time!

Archived