The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT/PGT | Sept. 16/13 | San Jose Vs. Vancouver | 7:00 PT | SNET-P | Pre-Season |

-Vintage Canuck-

Should have been a game that Burrows and Kesler dominated. A little disappointed to see them disappear.

None of our young guys are really stepping up and taking it right now. Hopefully they settle down and start bringing more next game.

I thought Lack was the best player on the ice tonight. Corrado was also good.

I don't know what you guys are seeing that I'm not. Gaunce played a very solid game, goal or no (at the very least the people who have never seen him before, yet claim he is slow can finally let that untrue rumour die after watching this game). With some solid coaching, this kid will be a solid player for us. I don't think he makes the big squad this year out of the gate but he isn't far off.

Shinkaruk looked like a young Zach Parise :bigblush: . Scored a beauty, fore checked hard and made some good solid hits. He was totally engaged even though it was only exibition. This kid is going to be awesome, and he was our best prospect tonight. Horvat was ok, but I noticed that he lost a lot of important faceoffs. Gaunce was in good position all night which led to his tap in goal. Jensen was invisible.

Thoughts: the team as a whole, for the most part, vanished in the second and third period making it a little tough to properly assess individual players.

- Shinkaruk's the only player that stood out to me throughout the entire game, he was dangerous and that was one sweet snipe.

- Lack and Cannata were both very good as well – Lack gave up a couple of big rebounds but he was very sound positionally.

- Tommernes has some nice offensive instincts, but he seemed shaky defensively at times.

- Weber looks very comfortable on the PP - didn't result in any goals, but he generated some nice puck movement and looked calm out there.

- Alberts was awful, he couldn't catch a break with the penalties and he seemed a step behind, even against non-NHL players.

- Biega was bad too, but he's an AHLer who'll get cut very shortly.

- Gaunce was alright, but he disappeared after the first period like a lot of the team. Was decent in the circle and on the PK.

- Horvat and Jensen were invisible, I only noticed them because I was looking for them.

That being said, it's one game, and preseason at that. Can't put too much stock into it until we have a wider sample size. I'm just glad hockey's back!

My two cents from tonight

Forwards

Vets

Burr - looked slightly lost on the PP, but amazing stickwork on the PK tonight. Love watching him kill penalties. Terrible third period for him tho.

Kes - Looked good early. Looked "OK" later.

Weise - didn't look bad, showed good patience at times, didn't deliver any grenade passes tonight either.

Sestito - ..... yeah...

Non-regulars

Shinkaruk – Looked excellent during the third period

Horvat – Had decent speed, didn’t look out of place

Gaunce – Looked a little off at times but was decent positionally

Jensen – Sadly looked not that great. Ok, but nothing special.

Lain – Good speed and energy in the first. Didn’t see much of him afterwards tho

Archibald – Not bad, limited ice-time.

Hamill – seemed invisible imo.

Defence

Hamhuis – Good ole hammer J. Did a good job holding the line on the PP

Weber – meh, looked good on the PP and was mobile enough otherwise

Corrado – looked good, strong on the puck

Alberts – If he ever manages to stop taking stupid penalties….

Biega – not overly noticeable, which I guess is good as a D

Tommernes – Good breakout passes, looked comfortable.

Shink was consistent for day 1. Juniors, then the young stars tourney, and then he impressed torts in training camp, and look at him tonight. The kid makes himself big, and boy can he skate with the puck!

Just look at my sig, told y'all from draft day ;) almost lost my voice when this kid dropped down to us.

Gaunce looked like he belongs as a "do what you gotta do" type of player

Horvat needs to play with better wingers, we started noticing him more when he was reunited with Shink

Jensen looked alright

Obviously this was a great night for Hunter, that goal was somethin else....but a few other guys had good nights too. Liked Lack, thought he was good enough to be the backup here if that play continues. Liked Corrado, liked a couple of things Gaunce did, liked his hustle to draw the hook. The guy that really stood out that I didn't expect was Tommeres. The kid can play and a little work and he might make this team in the next couple of years.

Thoughts: the team as a whole, for the most part, vanished in the second and third period making it a little tough to properly assess individual players.

- Shinkaruk's the only player that stood out to me throughout the entire game, he was dangerous and that was one sweet snipe.

- Lack and Cannata were both very good as well – Lack gave up a couple of big rebounds but he was very sound positionally.

- Tommernes has some nice offensive instincts, but he seemed shaky defensively at times.

- Weber looks very comfortable on the PP - didn't result in any goals, but he generated some nice puck movement and looked calm out there.

- Alberts was awful, he couldn't catch a break with the penalties and he seemed a step behind, even against non-NHL players.

- Biega was bad too, but he's an AHLer who'll get cut very shortly.

- Gaunce was alright, but he disappeared after the first period like a lot of the team. Was decent in the circle and on the PK.

- Horvat and Jensen were invisible, I only noticed them because I was looking for them.

That being said, it's one game, and preseason at that. Can't put too much stock into it until we have a wider sample size. I'm just glad hockey's back!

Archived