The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Comets 2-5 Oilers

JE14

Eddie is ready.... Stoked for the stork......... Bring it back to Lack?

Best news from thatgame was Definitely Lacks performance. Santorelli looked good also but I still don't think he'll ever be a regular.

Was hoping Kassian would show some more, he looked good at times average at others. Horvat needs time as does Shinkaruk although his offensive skills are very exciting. Gaunce is close it's too bad he can't play in the Ahl this season. Was very sad that both Jensen and Schroeder got hurt, really hoping they're both minor injuries. Schroeder looked very good to me before he got hurt, won faceoffs, showed good chemistry with Higgins and Hansen and made some excellent passes.

Some facts to inject into this conversation and possibly (though doubtfully) dull some of the more opinionated among us.

After fighting majors, PP minutes were 16-6 in favour of Edmonton. Say what you like about discipline or being flat-footed, I don't buy it. Not to the tune of triple the penalty minutes. Then there was just the bizarreness of some calls, like the first 5-on-3 in which Horvat got called for hooking but no arm was up until Weise "elbowed" Hall. And by elbowed, I mean Hall skated with his head down like a moron again. The kid needs to get hurt just enough that he can't play anymore or he's going to be the world's luckiest player until the day he gets killed.

Other interesting data: Santorelli is pretty damn good...at everything. 1G 1A +1 and 2 blocked shots. Weber was interesting. 1 assist which was a slick lead pass to Santorelli but still ended up at -1 because 2 goals were scored by his lost man. Thankfully he's got the speed to fix his positioning issues and has the will to play defense with a team-leading 3 blocked shots.

Huh? How do you figure the Canucks had the disadvantage of being "tired". Neither team has played since Wednesday, and of the Oilers iced tonight 9 played both Wednesday and tonight, while only 8 Canucks played both Wednesday and tonight. Don't see the Canucks having the "tired" card to play?

Also, it's not as if the Oilers iced a full NHL team while the Canucks iced mostly prospects and rookies. Oilers had 6 players with 0 NHL games and 8 that haven't played at least 82 games, while the Canucks had only 4 players with 0 NHL games and 9 with less than a full season under the belt. Meaning it wasn't the number of vets/proven players versus number of prospects/rookies. It was the quality of the players iced.

Yeah, only pre-season and not worth making a big deal of, but at least let's look at the real picture. Canucks lost back-to-back games versus Edmonton fair and square, period. Oh well.

Couldn't catch the game.

Could someone comment in detail? specifically on (2):

-Edler/Tanev. How did they look as a pairing? Does this look like a potential pairing going forward?

(IMO I always reckoned Tan Man could be a good fit for Eddie given his calm defensive presence)

-Gaunce. How does he look? Could he end up starting the year on the 4th line?

It's funny to see how worked up some peeps r getting over our losses to the Coil, come on, preseason who cares, look they iced their top players and we didn't do too bad, have we iced our top two lines at all?? Watch where the coil end up during the regular season, I mean, yakupov is going to be doing his stupid ass celebrations in mean nothing I'm heading to the golf course games in April.... Icing five offensive players n no dmen during the PP, that's not happening during the regular season I can tell u that much, Perron n Hall r continuous injury bench riders...... That is all

Edler looked good, I feel Tortorella is going to get him back in the Norris conversation by making him play more physically. Threw a few hard shots as well and created chances, he looks like he's back.

Alberts had good and bad tonight so really needs to be paired with a fast defenceman who can get back to cover when he gets walked around. Someone like Weber would be a perfect partner or even Tanev. Love his physicality - something we may not need during the regular season but come playoff time I'll take the occasional odd-man rush against for 5 solid injury-causing hits from this guy. That's how you wear down opponents in a 7 game series, not with guys like Weber and Tanev.

Santorelli has IMO played his way onto the team, deserves the 4th line center spot if not 3rd. Gaunce was alright at times, good defensively so should be our 4th line winger if he can get used to that position.

Shinkaruk had a couple of chances but didn't stand out too much. Still deserves a 4th line winger spot over Weise or Sestito.

Kassian has dissapointed me most of all and right now doesn't deserve the Sedin's spot as much as Burrows, Hansen or Higgins.

Weber was strong again, nice passes all night long and played surprisingly physically. Great 6th/7th defenceman.

Archived