The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kessel to recieve under 5 games

Sorry, I didnt really clarify. I dont agree with the jab with the stick by Kessel when Scott was already engaged with another player. That was very cowardly of him.

But I also dont agree with what Scott did. He attacked the opposing teams star player at a face-off...an attack that initiated a line-brawl. That was bush league.

What if Eager or another Oiler thug jumps Daniel at a face-off the next time the Canucks play them? You have no problem with that type of play nor want any punishment for Eager? Or would like to see Daniel do whatever can to get away from the beating of his life?

Punish both or punish neither.

Who was the fight between before the Scott/Kessel incident? Only got to see thier highlight, didnt see the fight prior.

I can understand the point you're making, but its also kinda bush league to send out a goon squad to start a brawl in a meaningless pre-season game.

Kessle should get 0, at worst he will get rest of preseason. The league knows the consequences of a Kessel suspension. Send your goon after their star. Either he takes 20 shots to the back of the head while turtling or slashes the goon and gets a suspension. Imagine the Sedins lining up against (pick your goon), would you suggest they go toe to toe, turtle, run away or give the ass a hack or two.

6'5" Jamie Devane and 6'0" Corey Tropp. Tropp looked like he instigated the fight, so he kinda got what's coming to him, until he hit his head on the ice when devane fell on top of him, leaving him bloodied from the fall. Scott was already fired up from the bench and yelling stuff at the leafs, so when the sabres coach put his line out there, what did the leafs think was going to happen? you don't put your star players in that situation, as it's going to end badly, one way or the other. dumb as hell coaching decision.

He doesn't deserve anything more, my god.

Why? Because you've decided?

Of course he does...how ridiculous. If I go into the street and accidentally bump someone it's a bit different than intentionally going out and knocking them down. My God, if you don't see the difference between malicious stick chops (not one but two?) done with intent and purpose and a high stick due to a reckless play that involved momentum you're honestly missing the mark.

The NHL is quickly plummeting to something very scripted....just not with any foundation of integrity or honesty. This is reaching WWF proportions here.

Of course he does...how ridiculous. If I go into the street and accidentally bump someone it's a bit different than intentionally going out and knocking them down. My God, if you don't see the difference between malicious stick chops (not one but two?) done with intent and purpose and a high stick due to a reckless play that involved momentum you're honestly missing the mark.

The NHL is quickly plummeting to something very scripted...just not with any foundation of integrity or honesty. This is reaching WWF proportions here.

They talked about this on the pre-game show. They made a good point. If you are in a bar fight and hit someone and you both walk away, most likely nothing will happen. But punch a guy and he falls down and cracks his skull, you'd get charged for assault.

I don't agree with it, but it's still a valid point.

The NHL is quickly plummeting to something very scripted....just not with any foundation of integrity or honesty. This is reaching WWF proportions here.

Honestly, I was ok with the length of the Kassian suspension. The issue for me is the lack of consistency by the Department of Player Safety in handing out these suspensions.

I can see it now...

"Sunday night in Toronto, Toronto Maple Leafs forward, Phil Kessel was assessed a 10 Minute Match Penalty for Deliberate Injury towards Buffalo Sabres forward, John Scott.

As the video shows, Kessel initially commits to a forceful two-handed slash at the legs of Scott. Then as Scott is engaged in a scrum, Kessel intentionally targets Scott from behind with a second two-handed slash. As the participants of the line brawl are separated, Kessel again attacks Scott, this time with a premeditated spear while Scott is engaged with a linesman.

In summary:

• This was Slashing and Spearing;

• Kessel has no history of supplemental discipline in his 504 game NHL career;

• Scott suffered no apparent injury during the play.

The Department of Player Safety has suspended Phil Kessel for the remainder of the preseason and one regular season game."

Whoosh![cue the exciting, edgy NHL logo graphic]

It's clear that injury (or lack thereof) is a factor in the suspension.

For those of you who don't believe injury should be a factor, ask yourselves if you thought Keith's hit on Sedin should have been lengthened to account for Daniel's head injury?

I doubt many of you thought otherwise.

While I don't think Kessel should have done what he did, the fact remains that he did not target the head and Scott was not injured. Kassian on the other hand hit Gagner in the head with his stick and caused a serious injury (unintentional yes, but reckless nonetheless) In this case, I can understand why Kassian's suspension was harsher.

As for those citing 'intent' as being a critical factor, I am against that as intent can be difficult to ascertain in many situations. I know that Kessel intended to chop Scott in the legs, but I can't really tell how hard he actually did. For those of you who are offended by the two handed chop, I guess you must have missed the old days with Ron Hextall and Billy Smith. It's not exactly new to hockey.

Archived