The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's been the best prospect at camp/pre-season so far?

CanucksJay

Sorry guys, my apologies for this lazy thread. I've been super busy with work and have not had a chance to watch any pre-season hockey.

I've been trying to get a sense of where our prospects are at through this forum but the information is so wide spread that I was hoping to consolidate everything on this one thread.

From what I read, Gaunce, Shinkaruk have stood out. I havent heard much about Jensen except for young stars tourney.

Who has been performing well in your opinion during pre-season so far and what have they been doing well?

Thanks everyone.

MODS, if this thread breaks forum rules, please delete.

If Lack counts as prospect, then Lack.

Shinkaruk showed hard work and determination to make something happen every shift; he is blazingly fast and has quick first steps.

Horvat not as nearly noticeable as Shinkaruk but very solid. I think Bo is realizing that some of the things he did in junior no longer works in the NHL and once he gets used to the NHL, he will be a very dependable player.

Gaunce, I have a mixed feel. A part of me agrees with Brent Sutter's comment that he is ways away because he doesn't have the naturally given tools like the other two but at the same time it looks like he is nearly ready. It appears that he knows how to play the game in terms of where to be as the play unfolds. He doesn't do anything fancy but shows up at the right spot to pot in the rebound and shows up at the right time to take a scoring chance away. Not a dominant player but can be a great supporting player especially once his skating and other skills develop.

Jensen has some good tools too but I thought his compete level is not nearly as high enough to make the NHL yet. If Jensen had the skating ability of Shinkaruk, he can definitely make the team this year and contribute in a big way. Too bad he doesn't.

Lain is also not ready. Need time to adapt to the NHL.

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen could be a solid line for us in the future if they all develop the right way. Gaunce can be a solid third liner that pots in timely goals. If Gaunce's skating ability improves, he can be a great third line center, if he doesn't, he might be utilized as a winger on a scoring line.

Horvat keeps getting better and better (etc. the 3rd period of last night's game), and Shinkaruk, oh boy, along with the great flashes of skill and physical play for a young man his size he's shown, he's like a ray of sunshine with a contagious smile and so high on life. They definitely both show promise and they should be top-6 players in the league one day!

But for me, it's Gaunce. He quietly goes about his business (in a great way) and he's never out of position. He's knows how to get to the dirty areas and knows how to put himself into the right positions to score despite not being at all that fast/flashy. He's got a great hockey IQ and has been playing a superb two-way game. People have been hard on the guy *cough Sutter cough fans*, but during this whole preseason he continues to show all indications that he has the potential to be that kind of bonafide 3rd line center that every team wants to have, much like Brandon Sutter. He's very humble too and I like that about him. He has the potential to be that guy that every team needs to win in the playoffs.. that Samuel Pahlsson (in his prime with the Ducks) type of player that will munch big minutes against other teams top line players and never put himself in any vulnerable to give the other team lethal scoring chances 5 on 5 during intense playoff style hockey. + he's already got more than enough NHL size ;) He needs one more year in juniors and possibly some time in Utica to work on his skating and round off other aspects of his game, but he's impressed me the most and I can see him getting his 9 games.

I vote for the Gauncer!

last 3 first rounders have looked good. seemingly close to playing at an NHL level. Lack has been good. I really want to see corrado have a good game tonight, i like the idea of him over alberts when we don't need alberts' physicality. corrado is a better player overall he just needs to have another good showing tonight.

Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk are all going to explode once they go back to the CHL to star and captain their respected clubs!

They don't seem to have much trouble at all adapting to the speed of the NHL, so all indications show that they're going to have superb final years in major junior and hopefully showcase their high end talent to all of Canada and the rest of the hockey world during the WJC. ::D

Looks good, looks good.

As others have stated, I have really liked Gaunce's game. Not really noticeable until he makes a smart play from being in the right spot. Banging home goals, making very headsy defensive plays. Definitely needs to work on his skating and foot speed, his big body he uses to protect the puck well and make plays. I'd like to see him get 9 games, possibly as a winger since he kept pace better at wing. Most likely gets sent back to junior and hopefully dominates offensively, no reason to think he can't get more points.

Shinkaruk looks good every game, very dangerous player off the rush, a lot of energy and shiftiness, even tho he's only got 1 goal. Very quick skater, head up all the time looking to make a play. Always gets his chances. Another guy I'd like to see get 9 games and if he can put up points we have no choice but to keep him.

Horvat is like Gaunce, very quiet most games but then flashes a great play here or nice defensive move there. Esp. his hands, he makes very good plays in tight and is able to thread passes through. Yesterday he had a nice shot in front off a puck in the air. Was able to bat it nicely towards the net, and then he made two good passes for his 2 assists.

Corrado looks to have earned a shot at full-time NHL play. He already beat out Alberts, and his only competition is Weber. If he gets sent down its to get #1 Dman minutes in Utica and then he will be the first call up. I think thats the best path for him overall and can't limit his ceiling at this point. Reminds me of Hamhuis in a lot of ways, passing skating. Willing to take a risk to make a play, more offensive upside than Tanev.

Lack looked great last game. He was facing a firing squad in EDM and kept the score close until the last 5 mins of the game. The Canucks were outmatched, and he kept them in it. Edm had a number of quality chances, Lack was very impressive.

Archived