The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My concerns with this team and the way it's managed. A rant.

Brad Bellick^

How many of us REALLY believe the Canucks are gonna contend for the STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR??? Can we even come close to beating LA, SJ, Chicago, Pitt, Boston, REALLY? If properly thought through I'd say NO. Isn't that the way Management/owner should be thinking?

If so, then why not trade The Sedins, Burrows, Booth, & maybe one of the older defenceman (over 30) & start to unload them for TRUE young prospects & DRAFT picks? I mean Philly traded M.Richards & Carter & got some good youth back in return, Toronto has re-build pretty nicely too by doing the same & even Chicago did after winning the CUP to some degree...etc.

With Kesler, Bo, Hunter, Corrado, Tanev, Kassian, Schroeder Garrison, Edler, Gaunce, Jensen , Cassells, Subban, etc. PLUS adding the youth & draft picks from unloading our older guys while they still have value,& drafting Really well in the next 2-3 Years (possibly getting a Mcdavid 2015 draft) could put us at the top of the league in a few years with the emergence of Hunter, Bo, Corrado, etc...

Or shall we just dream with this aging core & then when reality does kick in & you finally wake up from the night mare of our almost 40 yrs old core, then we'll start to rebuild with nothing & start from Scratch which woud take 10 years to re-build if we're lucky.... :shock: :frantic: :rolleyes:

Maybe MG can try to make a trade like Buffalo did with us & getting a #1 centre for a maybe decent 3rd line banger??? If our older guys are as good as you think we should get good return for them eg. Eriksson for Seguin. Why can't MG find us deals like that instead of being on the receiving end of it???

I don't know what happened to Gillis, he used to be good when he first got here. Stealing Ehrhoff from SJ, the Sundin signing (yeah he was overpaid but it was short term so who cares?), getting us very solid depth (Malhotra, Higgins, Torres, Lapierre), and signing Hamhuis. Ever since we lost game 7 against Boston Gillis seems to be one of the many members of this team who is declining.

The Hodgson trade. I agree he needed to be traded, he wasn't patient like a rookie should be. Kesler had no problem starting on the 4th line, working his way up to the 3rd, and now he is the center piece of the 2nd line and one of the most important players on this team. He earned that role, Hodgson didn't. Also I really like Kassian and have confidence that he will develop into a 50-60 point power forward, something that this team could really use. However I find it hard to believe that Gillis wouldn't have been able to squeeze another roster player out of Buffalo. A roster player that we could have really used seeing as how Kassian wasn't ready and we were trying for another cup run. Hodgsons trade value was obviously higher than Kassians.

The Schnieder trade. I agree that Schnieder would have been better to trade than Luongo because he had more trade value. Schnieder really was expendable because we have Luongo right now to hold down the fort and two up and coming goalies that will be studs. However instead of shopping Luongo for like two years he should have started shopping Schnieds as soon as he realized he wasn't going to get the right return for Luongo. Instead he changes his mind at the last second and gets ripped off because he had no time to bargain. Horvat will be awesome on this team, I have no doubt about that. But again I find it hard to believe that we couldn't have gotten a roster player or another pick out of that trade along with Horvat.

And now we have some glaring holes in holes in our line up. Where is our shutdown center? Every good team has a shutdown center, we have Brad Richardson. I like Richardson but the guy is a 4th line center.

Why doesn't Kesler have a legit top 6 forward to play with yet? The guy has been playing with 3rd liners forever, when does he finally get a chance to play with someone that will really compliment his style? Give the guy a playmaker or something, see what happens.

Imagine this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - (Insert Playmaker)

Higgins - (Shutdown Center) - Hansen

Santorelli - Richardson - Dalpe

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Stratton/Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Wouldn't that be nice? Ditch Booth and that gives us some nice cap relief and this could totally be possible. I know being a GM isn't easy but it seems like Gillis isn't even trying anymore.

I wanted Bo and Hunter to make the team but they were not ready.

Beyond the rest of that, the cap shrunk this year and we can't just make NHL14 moves. Other teams have a say in what they want and they are not trading top picks and a young cheap big strong talented roster player for Edler, Booth or Luongo. The youth in our line-up is suspended and recovering from surgery.

If none of the above applies to you and you are still complaining, then please tell us what moves you expected done and why the other team would take that trade.

No, but from what I heard and saw, they proved themselves and everyone said they were impressive. I will say this 18 year old Hunter Shinkaruk is the best pure scorer in this entire organization and no one has a shot like him.

So please tell me how they are not ready and what they need to work on. The organization thinks they know how to develop players, but clearly they do not and I know you can agree to that.

No, but from what I heard and saw, they proved themselves and everyone said they were impressive. I will say this 18 year old Hunter Shinkaruk is the best pure scorer in this entire organization and no one has a shot like him.

So please tell me how they are not ready and what they need to work on. The organization thinks they know how to develop players, but clearly they do not and I know you can agree to that.

Do you really want 18 year old shink, at his whopping 180 go into the corner with Thornton, Burns, Marleau etc? Sure, he looked ok in pre-season when vets were holding back, but he would have been demolished last night, and the rest of the division isn't much smaller than SJ

They have a better coach now but he is saddled with a mediocre team at best. Gillis got rid of any character guys they had. Kessler seems burned out. There is no depth at forward. Luongo was good last night at times but I think he will never be at the level he was once. The team played OK for 20 minutes but then the Sharks wore them down. Canucks didn't keep skating, but it is only one game.Edler was at his most brutal again. Its like he doesn't want to play, but Hamhuis was off last night too. OK its a new system that relies on hard work. Guess who was the Canucks best player last night= same old Alex Burrows. So much needs to be done to rebuild this team. It is not enough to just put fancy lights on the stansions. They need players that can play along side some of the big goons other teams have.

At this point we're pretty much fracked. We know that Gillis won't admit to ???? up and he isn't concerned about how this team pans out this season because the blame can be pinned on a new coach with a new system. He's given every player on this team a NTC or NMC so we're stuck with them. Hansen and Higgins on Kesler's wing makes me want to puke.

In the entire duration of the Sedins becoming legitimate bonafide 1st liners (since 2005-2006 season) the best player we put them with is Alexander Burrows (I love Alex but he's a fringe 2nd liner). This is after terrible predecessors including jason king, trent klatt, anson carter (made him a 30 goal scorer), taylor pyatt, steve bernier and (in the future) zack kassian. I would be appalled if I'm the Sedins. Those are all players, who after leaving the Canucks either became 4th liners or couldn't find other NHL jobs. Could only imagine them with a premier player (a hartnell, franzen, brown type of player) which I understand is hard to find but seriously, 8 years and the best we found is Burrows?

Then the secondary scoring, which has been, again since 2005-2006, non-existent. Only two players, Kesler and Naslund, could be considered decent secondary scoring, but even then they got most of their points while playing with the Sedins on the PP. Jannik Hansen was our 3rd leading scorer last year. I love Janny but when he's 3rd on your team in scoring you have some serious scoring depth issues.

I feel we also made a bad decision on defence. We basically guaranteed the top four spots to Edler, Garry, Bieksa and Hamuis with NTC's. Why even compete? Its terrible news for younger players, who even if they play well have little chance of bumping one of those players off the top four. What happened to earning your ice-time? Sad part is they are all signed for the foreseeable future. What really irked me this year was acquiring Stanton a few days before the regular season started, same with Dalpe. It seems like a slap in the face of those players who came to training camp, competed hard but lost a job to players who no one has ever heard of and walked right into the lineup. I guess systems don't matter that much if you can get regular joe-schmoes to come in and start opening night.

I love this team but I feel its going to be a long year, were not bad enough to get a great pick but not good enough to play with the best. My guess were going to be a just above .500 team. I truly truly truly hope I'm dead wrong, but I'm getting sick of the same excuses "we played hard but were unlucky tonight we will regroup and come back next game".

How about we get our game together now, instead of the next game...

Hmm, you knock Dalpe because he "couldn't crack Carolina's roster on what is supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league this year".

Carolina has had two Staals and a couple 1st round picks playing for them at center in the last while. I wonder if Dalpe had a spot, or maybe even a full shot to make the team. I suppose he could have been a winger in Carolina, or Carolina could have just left him in the AHL to continue to get playing time and to develop as a center while their higher profile assets get the NHL time.

I'm not too concerned that Dalpe hasn't had a lot of NHL experience. It's not always an indication of the ability of the player. You yourself have noted in the Trades, Rumours and Signings section, with regard to Alexander Urbom, that the "... Caps need Urbom to stabilize their top 4." It could be said that Urbom couldn't crack the Devils' line up (only 14 career NHL games in four years) and yet he is good enough to be a top-4 d-man with the Caps.

regards,

G.

These are the most ridiculous arguments. " DOn't play a young guy 'cuz he might get hurt"??? WTF is that? Are you guys their mothers or something?

Despite MG's few early successes, he has since pretty much ran the canucks into the ground and turned Vancouver into the new Calgary. We don't have the NW division skinny kids to beat up on this year and our team is worse than it was last year, when it was worse than the year previous. Add that shhit up.

Goalie Fiasco which lasted over 2 seasons and resulted in a complete crapshow and now we have no backup and an unhappy, aging Lu

Bonafied prospects GONE for peanuts Grabner/Hodgson

Draft Picks GONE 1st/2nds

Held onto the previous regimes coach for 5 years. Remember before MG came to town, AV was pretty much on his way out the door.

Trying to pass off all these reclamation projects and washed up never was's as astute GMing maneuvers. Plug/Plug/Plug/Plug/Plug/Booth/Plug/Sturm/Plug/Plug/Plug/Barker

Letting all the wrong players walk. Mitchell/Torres

Treating quality guys like dirt. Malhotra/Lu/Samuelson/Mitchell

Right from the start with the 20$ million contract offer to Sundin, MG has been in way over his head. His contracts have handcuffed the team to the point where we are employing half our forwards who should actually be ahl'ers.

Some here might say "But but but the talent pool...." It's nothing, 1 or 2 might make it, the rest will turn into BAumgartners and Cannaughtons, nobodies.

Aquiliini needs to get MG's sweaty, lying, condescending ass outta VanC if he knows what is good for the Canucks.

Archived