The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My concerns with this team and the way it's managed. A rant.

Brad Bellick^

TLDR,

however in the first paragraph you said 'the window is closing' and yes, the twins and kesler have reached, I think, the apex of their assent to NHL powerhouse status, and that means they are in retrograde now, the good thing is there are years of that to go, the window is closing, but the twins would be top six players in 5 or 6 more years still, if they are still in the league, so the thing of it is that the team needs to inject new top six guys to cover off those spots on the top line, and NO, teenagers are not the answer. Develop the talent pool we have and bring them in naturally, not rushed, the window is on its way down, but it is not anywhere near closed.

edit: also torts was brought in to extend that window of opportunity, and he will. We may not win a cup this decade, but we will be a winning franchise that will compete year over year. Did you watch the team from 94 to 2001? Just curious, as you mention 'dark days' hahahaha

@FrankSedin being that we just saw guys like Bobby Ryan, Loui Ericsson, Tyler Seguin, Marian Gaborik, Rick Nash etc all moved over the last while perhaps free agency isn't the best route? Not saying the Canucks had a shot at landing any of these players or even that they're fits here, but top 6 players are moving...

Not only is it game one, there are a couple of key players that are not in the lineup tonight that we will have to count on to bring us our secondary scoring. Right now we have Kassian out of the lineup and he provides a lot of the top 9. If placed with the twins his physicality awards them space to work around their cycle. It also would allow Burrows to line up with Kesler and potentially Booth. Is Kassian the savior, no but he adds a part to this team that makes it far more dangerous that the team that iced last night.

D.Sedin – H.Sedin - Kassian

Booth – Kesler – Burrows

Higgins – Santorelle – Hansen

This is a far more dangerous line up compared to what we iced last night.

We also have Jensen waiting in the mix. He’s at the point in his careers where he will be called on to provide some offence on this team. It’s the cap era where you have to rely on young players to score and currently him and Schroeder are out of the lineup.

People need to relax its one game. Wait till we are dressing a complete line up and then make judgement calls on how you all hate Gillis.

Great post. It's time for a GM who makes moves instead of excuses. And there will be lot's of excuses from ownership, management, Gillis board lemmings and media hacks this year.

It's not Mikey's fault it's hard making moves etc etc. THAT'S HIS JOB AND WHY HE'S PAID MILLIONS A YEAR. If the job is too hard quit. Other GM's are able to make moves and draft a NHL player at least once a decade.

My concern would be that unlike Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa, who went to the finals and then started a long, pitiful decline, this regime was supposed to be different. Supposed to emulate Detroit, as advertised. Supposed to draft and develop well. Supposed to build from within.

My concern is that we have been tricked. My concern is that we won't ever, ever be like one of those historic teams. And my concern is that we won't be allowed to win it's first cup until after several other teams do so.

My concern is that this fanbase will lose it's patience and abandon this team with it's high ticket prices and this will make us look bad across the nation.

My concern is that we're the Oakland A's of hockey. A small market team that pretends it's way to any glory, while remains ultimately uncompetitive compared to the legit powers in that league. (But even they have 9 championships)

Fine. But quit advertising we're gonna be Detroit in any way then.

Oh wait. One game. Nevermind.

It's a process.

I understand people's concern...I have more of a "wait and see" attitude about it all. You need to have a bigger sample size and can't use previous years, because you have to consider all the factors related to that if you do (injuries, different coach, etc.).

We have some talented (veteran now) players on this team...don't underestimate that. Give SJS their perks - they're damn good, but that doesn't make them invincible. They came out strong in a home game and are hard contenders to battle with. I just think it's a little early to set the bar...yes, they've got our number and we didn't seem to have a response...doesn't mean that can't be adjusted for. They tend to come out blazing and then, admittedly, peter out as exhaustion sets in and they can't keep that frantic pace up. Sure, impressive except you also have to pace yourself for longevity's sake.

I remember this: the Sharks' top line of Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski has been stifled as of late. The three combined for 36 points over the first five games. Since then, Pavelski has three goals, but Marleau and Thornton have just one assist each.

"There's no way we could keep up the pace we did in the first five, individually and collectively," said defenseman Dan Boyle, whose absence from two games with a bad cold is cited as one reason the power play dropped off. "The puck was going in, and now all of a sudden guys are cold. That's just the way it goes."

Any team can run hot/cold...the Sharks had struggles of their own in the past and it isn't always a "given". Giveaways, PP struggles are things they've gone through rough patches with. They haven't even made the finals, so their success isn't "guaranteed - no teams' is". The Blackhawks have proven success and we've beat them, so this isn't mission impossible. Sure, there are things to be concerned about (scoring is a big one), but it comes in bunches at times. I'm not giving away my jerseys quite yet (ever). Yes, cheerleader, rahrahrah, homer stuff...but is there a point in even watching if you've already decided? I haven't.

I love Gillis how he says "we have been tracking Dalpe for 2 years". He couldn't crack Carolina's roster on what is supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league this year.

How he is a big acquisition for the Canucks who are supposed to be a legit contender still. Richardson has no offensive skill he shouldn't even be on the third line period.

They might as well see what Dalpe can do before they make a decision on to keep him or not.

I wanted Bo and Hunter to make the team but they were not ready.

Beyond the rest of that, the cap shrunk this year and we can't just make NHL14 moves. Other teams have a say in what they want and they are not trading top picks and a young cheap big strong talented roster player for Edler, Booth or Luongo. The youth in our line-up is suspended and recovering from surgery.

If none of the above applies to you and you are still complaining, then please tell us what moves you expected done and why the other team would take that trade.

@FrankSedin being that we just saw guys like Bobby Ryan, Loui Ericsson, Tyler Seguin, Marian Gaborik, Rick Nash etc all moved over the last while perhaps free agency isn't the best route? Not saying the Canucks had a shot at landing any of these players or even that they're fits here, but top 6 players are moving...

The window has closed I'm afraid. Now the Canucks are on the outside looking in, and if they have any chance of winning a Cup in the next couple of seasons it will be by playing the underdog. Either that or MG wins the sweepstakes in the big free agency period next off-season.

Hopefully the Canucks can play well enough to draw some UFA attention, because there will be a lot of quality UFAs and the cap is going up quite a bit. If we're lucky we can snag a 2C or 3C for some depth, a depth defenceman and a top-9 forward.

Very true. Meant to say that trades are an option but that mortgages the future even more so. To land a guy like bobby Ryan we would have had to trade at a minimum Jensen, 1st (shinkaruk), and a 2nd/top prospect. If we had done that ppl would be even more upset. Look at the Roy fiasco...he is a legitimate top 9 centre and CDC was upset we gave up a 2nd and Dman that would have never cracked the roster.

We would all love another great second line wing...but who? Look at free agency lately, you either way over pay for a legit top 6 (which we don't have the cap for) or hope someone steps up from your own players. I would rather have Hansen and Higgins than one Clarkson. We have 4 great top 4 guys (sedins, kes, burr) and a few tweeners (Hansen, Higgins, booth, Kassian...we just need them to step up and score more). Is gillis infallible, no, but the team has a great tender, great top 5 d, and a a good top 9. Last night too many turnovers and missed chances. They will get it together.

OP,

I get where you're coming from. I know its no knee jerk but this post did occur after game 1 so you'll be 'branded' as that by some vs them 'reading and comprehending some very valid points', others debatable, sure.

But, I think the key here is this. Post 2011, MG has done nothing to make this team actually BETTER, they came one game from winning a cup and never had the type of players that Pitts (Crosby/Malkin/Letang), Boston (Chara,Bergeron,Lucic,Marchand), Chicago (Toews/Kane/Hossa/Seabrooke/headhunter) had in their runs.

That being, SUPERSTARS just entering the prime of their careers. Instead we had a couple of superstars at the peak of their careers.

Therefore, it was INCUMBENT ON MG, if he wanted to get back to IMPROVE the team vs expecting it to be able to raise its game even further. This is the biggest issue in my mind. Those teams were able to compete again with the same players because they were YOUNG SUPERSTAR loaded groups, we were a great team full of veterans.

MG has done nothing since to improve his holes. How is it that 4 years after the run we're still talking about size on the 4th line, a 3rd line center (a real one as much as I love Schroeds, he's a second line playmaker), real secondary scoring etc.

These are all issues we had post the run. So your post can be argued is very very fair.

My concern last night, and I can accept some of that loss was because the team is adjusting and 'thinking' too much, you can actually see that...but my concern was how we were manhandled physically.

We NEED:

1. Kassian back and on the top line and he MUST PLAY WITH A PHYSICAL PRESENCE. If he can't bring that well we really lost that trade (and I love Kassian but its time he used his assets, skating and size and started intimidating, this is not hard, ie its not like he's being asked to pot 40 goals where elite talent is needed, this is just effort and drive, and he has to show it if we have any chance this year).

2. A real 3rd line center

3. A REAL SET OF 4TH LINE WINGERS VS THESE 2 USELESS PLUGS IN WEISS AND TOSTITO.

Address those and we have a chance.

We can win the Stanley cup this year as long as Kassian turns into a 40 goal scorer, no one gets injured or sick or suspended, the veterans play like its 2011, the whole team instantly learns Torts system, and Luongo doesn't choke once.

Sounds good to me.

Archived