The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My concerns with this team and the way it's managed. A rant.

Brad Bellick^

3. Why does Col and Cgy have no problem playing their young kids that got drafted in same draft as Hunter? MacKinnon may have been the 1st overall pick but he is the same size as Hunter....So how is he any more physically mature or ready than Hunter? Skills aside and although Shinkaruk was highly touted as a top 10 prospect.

1: Fair enough but on a team that needs scoring and supposedly needs to inject youth into the lineup and prepare for the future, if not now, then when? Injuries are always a risk, from ball hockey to the NHL so I'm not buying it. If a kid is ready and fulfills a need on the team then when do you put him in?

1a Brule is a perfect candidate for an MG reclamation project but no, I would not sign him.

2:Aging core, handcuffed by bad contracts and an All-world goalie who has given everything to the franchise. Combined with a GM who appears to have no plan or foresight.

3: /topic/337664-schneiderman-trade-value/page__hl__%2Bschneiderman+%2Btrade+%2Bvalue">http://forum.canucks...n +trade +value

There is a thread I mad almost a year ago. I don't get into trade proposals because I have no idea what other gm's are willing to offer.

4/5(3): 2 words Asset Management. These are 3 premier prospects and a 1st round draft pick we are talking about. What do we have to show for Schneider/Grabner/Hodgson/1st? If you are an NHL GM there is no excuse here. Squandered is another word that comes to mind.

6: Even after Gillis finally did relieve AV of his duties, the replacement coach, by all accounts, was the choice of ownership, not Gillis. Did AV make the team or did the team make AV?

7: I don;t see Malhotra or Torres as reclam's. They both came in and played their roles extremely well and made huge positive impacts on the team. I don't recall Malhotra being "given up on" by his previous teams and Torres still has a great impact on his team today.

8: I'm shooting from the hip here, can't remember every detail but Ehrhoff wasn't going to work here anyway with the money he commanded from Buffalo.

9: I would have signed Mithchell and Torres, we are talking about 1 year diff on the MItchell and a few 100k on Torres? Gillis is willing to spend 10mil on goalies and have Booth and Ballard eat up another 8 mil while doing squat but the Stud Mitchell walks over a few mil and Torres walks for peanuts?

10: Gillis came in and made some good contract moves in the very early part of his tenure but now, it's not looking so good. It's almost like he is still part player agent the way he sets these guys up for life.

11: We can't expect anything decent from the draft with Gillis at the helm and him frittering away draft picks on midget rental players.

12: I assure you I am assuming with my assesment of MG's swass.

Cheers

Its actually good Burrows is out for a bit because it will expose the teams futility. For years Burrows was the glue that got them by and now he is gone for a while. Its going to be a soap opera off ice this year, but a little more entertaining.

Brad I agree with u! Since the end of 2011 playoffs Gillis was wrong about 1 huge and detrimental thing...his vision for the future of this team. The guys from my hockey team thought I was crazy but hear me out. We didn't lose to Boston because we weren't tough enough; we lost because of hamhuis,Kesler, and maholtra getting hurt waaaaaah injuries right but here's the big one. Rome hits Horton. Big bad team with 3 monsters on it get mad and thump us...literally! Bye bye hodgson, grabner, erhoff etc and hello meatheads and slow players with little to no skill.

What we should have done since we were at the time the best in pp and penalty kill or close to it, and built for speed, quick puck movement and brains is: get this...drum roll please...add 1-2 more skilled players and say to the league ok now catch and chase us and take penalties getting frustrated and will continue to kill u on the pp.

Gillis didn't fail us cause he got kassian for cough cough for I'm going to cry hodgson; he failed because he took the best(besides Boston because they won) team and decided to play a game that were not built for

This loss just exposed a lot of the concerns this team had going in the season. Any Realistic Canuck fans know this current team just isn't good enough, we don't need to wait for a loss to point this out. Try to argue the facts that he talked about instead of pulling the " if we had won " card.

Maybe cap space?

For all we know the Canucks have been in contact with Gagne.

How much do you anticipate Gillis would have to put on the table to sign Gagne? (serious question) The Canucks have just under $1.2 million in cap space (adding in Schroeder etc). I suspect Gagne would want a bit more.

And what about term? What if he wants two years, or more?

I'm good with Gillis picking up Dalpe, who wasn't acquired for his offensive potential but rather as a bottom-6 player.

regards,

G.

I understand it's one game and everything and the players are still getting used to the system, but this concern has been with me since the middle of last season and this is not a "one game knee-jerk reaction"... I feel as if the "dark days" have begun or to put it more simply, "the window is closing" ... does anyone really have confidence this team has ANY shot at a championship anymore? Is anyone actually expecting this team has a shot at winning a cup?

The Sedins are not even close to as good as they were in 2011, Daniel seems to be declining, Bieksa is nothing like his 2011 self, Edler would give the puck away to a peewee player, Gillis is too incompetent to recognize the Canucks need a 3rd line center and secondary scoring, among other things....

I see the Canucks being good as Dallas, Phoenix, Winnipeg etc, but I don't see them being any better than that... so let's say I see them as a "bubble team".

The California teams are just simply better teams than the Canucks.

If only AV moved Hodgson up to the 2nd line center spot and put Kesler on the third... we wouldn't even be complaining about the Canucks. Hodgson >>>>> Kassian, I don't care what anyone says, the Canucks' biggest problem after trading Hodgson has been secondary scoring.. no one can doubt that so don't come here and cry that i'm complaining about the Hodgson trade because it does factor in to the Canucks' failures over the last two years....

This is not a thread based off of tonight, it's based off last years season and playoffs because this is the exact same team we've seen from last season... no changes, no "youth movement", can't even put a rookie who's impressing in the first game of the season to see how he does.... and we need secondary scoring... Shinkaruk >>>>>> Higgins.

I feel Mike Gillis has ruined this team's chances from the mistakes he's made over his tenure as GM. I love the players, but I think the 2013 playoffs were the last chance for this core... we can't expect to just coast into the playoffs beating teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, etc for a playoff spot.

The Canucks need to have luck on their side if they want to contend without ANY changes to the core, or even addressing simple secondary scoring needs from free agency instead of signing grinders or bargain bin players EVERY year from free agency.... since Sundin, when is the last time the Canucks have picked up a legitimate scorer from free agency? Yeah, I thought you'd have a hard time figuring that one out...

This team NEEDS secondary scoring, NEEDS a NHL Caliber 3rd line center, and NEEDS a youth infusion... Get Hunter at least into the lineup and see if Gaunce or Bo have what it takes to come up and compete for a spot. If they earn their time through hard work, they're ready for the NHL.

I'm tired of these BS excuses that are made every year we get destroyed in the first round.... "Oh, we were injured", "Oh, our travel schedule is too tough to come in energized for the playoffs".... This is why you get DEPTH. This team has NO depth.... Say Kesler goes down, who the hell comes in for him? Richardson? Santorelli? Schroeder? Give me a break....

Gillis, your waiver pick ups and mediocre projects aren't going to cut it... We're going to sustain injuries under Tortorella's system this year, that's expected... But does he even have a PLAN if say a Kesler, or a Hamhuis, or even Daniel goes down?

Listen, I understand there's a cap, I understand certain players have NTCs, and I understand that it can be difficult to make a trade in today's NHL.... but please, for the sake of the fans, like myself, who have been watching this team for a very, very long time, I just wish Gillis wasn't such a "play it safe" GM.... This is why I love GM's like Shero, Jarmo Kekalainen, even Holmgren, (despite how bad he is on other categories of being a gm)... these are GM's that aren't afraid to do whatever they can to make their team better...

I personally think it's time for a change of face for the representative of the Canucks' organization.. I think it's time they bring in a guy who will have the drive to do what it takes to bring this city a cup... a GM that will make tough decisions and not scrounge the depths for "Steve Bernier or Taylor Pyatt 2.0 projects" like Gillis does..

Whether you agree with me or not, or whether you're the guy that comes in and calls me a "band wagoner" or a "troll" or whatever other names you come with, just know I've been a fan of this team for as long as anyone has been a fan of this team, watching the Canucks' very first game as a child and instantly getting hooked to Canucks hockey, no matter how bad they were. But in a positition where I see so much potential in this team if they're just managed right, even a Stanley cup, it frustrates me to know we are going into the season where the only real change is the coach..

/endofrant

(Wanted to express my concerns and again, this is not because of this game, I would have posted this if we won)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, when you trade (or give) away all your first round picks like Hodgson, Grabner, Schneider, and the 2010 1st round draft pick, you are bound to have some dark days ahead! Just saying. The dark days will be here for a few years now. It's going to get worse before it gets better. To have had a chance to have the core we did, with the youth coming in as we did, is a missed opportunity. Gillis fracked that up royally. He needs to go.

Well, when you trade (or give) away all your first round picks like Hodgson, Grabner, Schneider, and the 2010 1st round draft pick, you are bound to have some dark days ahead! Just saying. The dark days will be here for a few years now. It's going to get worse before it gets better. To have had a chance to have the core we did, with the youth coming in as we did, is a missed opportunity. Gillis fracked that up royally. He needs to go.

Hodgson trade brought a first round pick, 13th overall in return.

Grabner returned Ballard, who was an 11th overall pick.

Schneider for the 9th overall.

That 2010 pick wasn't the player the Canucks wanted - and hasn't scored a point in the NHL.

When you bring in 3 first round picks, there's bound to be bright days and sunshine for years to come. Not really that simple or 'logical', right?

You're kidding, right? Look at what went OUT as far as assets I listed there. Now look at what the "IN" in exchange for those assets is doing for us right now? There is no defending it. There'sno way even the best homer glasses could look at that and somehow think we got equal value out of all those outbound assets. If you do, you don't know hockey.

Kassian is so far a no show. Ballard was bought out! Horvat looks promising but was not worth an asset like Schneider straight up.

if you really look at it, we werent really owned in most of these deals-- even the raymond thing. he's doing well in TO and good for him. he's on a team that actually needs him.

....but most of the players we let go are on different teams and can grow on then, but that doesn't mean they'll be successful and that we lost any deals we made letting these guys go

Maybe we should add in Pahlsson,two -fourth rounders,Sulzer,Gragnani,Roy,Connauton and a second.

It's about winning(selling tickets) by trading up in real time and this team has gone from 1st overall to middle/bottom third regarding the PP and goals scored.

Many trumpet the Gillis.org FA additions as usurping/superceding the loss of the Canucks draft picks/trades but the team would have to be equivalent contenders the last two years for that to hold true.

We all know this team is not an NHL #1 contender-as they were.

Archived