The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

Can anyone guess what Lindy Ruff had to say to the DAL players headin' into the 3rd after coughing-up a couple of quick goals to BUF before the end of the 2nd? Something very Tortorella-esque, no doubt!

I usually want an eastern team to win when they're lining-up vs our western-conference foes....but in this situation, maybe not. The BUF vs VAN expansion-rivalry, Kassquatch vs Coho, Ehrhoff jumping ship...these are reasons enough (in this game) to root for RUFF!

Ok heads up question.

What are the following players now on our team worth knowing Buffalo just set the bar so very high in terms of rentals??

Sedin

Sedin

Kesler

Edler

Burrows

Hansen.

Kesler edler and Hansen aren't rentals...Sedins are obviously worth more together but no team has the space to trade for both that are contenders.

By the looks of it Regier almost did something very stupid.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24151403/report-sabres-were-willing-to-make-thomas-vanek-highestpaid-in-nhl

Fortunately Vanek wanted to get the heck out of town so he could go to a better team.

If turning down the largest contract in NHL history doesn't scream "I want to play for Minnesota" then I don't know what does!

Lol

What can Vanek do that Moulson can't

Plus they give up a 1st and a 2nd

and Vanek is a rental!!!

I guess they figure he'll want to stay in NYC and playing with Tavares is a pretty good carrot to dangle. All will depend on if they can resign but regardless still an overpayment.

30 goal scorer (granted party bec of the great center) but Buffalo has good young centers so he will keep performing pretty well and the 1st and the 2nd! steep

Moulson and a 2nd would have worked in my mind. I guess NYI has so much young talent they really dont need the picks right now.

*** Edit

Didn't realize Moulson was a rental too....still don't get it. Why give up and first and a second and roster player for that?

I think they could have waited to the deadline and got away with the 1st and 2nd if they are in the hunt and kept Moulson for the playoffs.

Makes little sense to me for a team that really isn't a contender yet, unless they REALLY feel they will re-sign him.

Considering I have Vanek in my fantasy league I'm pretty happy with this... My dark confession is that I also have Hodgson so I'm glad he already hooked up with Moulson...

In all seriousness though - after reading the reports Isles are a "right now" team and Vanek is the superior player. If he enjoys the year playing with Tavares (who wouldn't) it's a fairly even deal as Buffalo wasn't going to get more than a 1st and a 2nd at the deadline anyways.

Isles are not a right now team! lol that's absurd!!

They have no defense

Terrible goaltending

And no depth past the 2nd line

No significant playoff experience

You're suggesting this move was to make a 'run'...yes I agree, its the type of move a team making a run makes, but they are in no position to compete for a cup yet, which is why everyone is suggesting giving up that much for a rental makes zero sense.

You do that when you're 'one piece' away...not when you have 3 pieces and need 7 more!

Not sure if already reported on here, but more details of the trade have emerged. The Sabres are to retain $1.4M of Vanek's salary for the remainder of the year. Also, if the Islanders draft pick ends up being a top 10 pick in 2014, they have the option to defer the 1st rounder until 2015.

Not sure if already reported on here, but more details of the trade have emerged. The Sabres are to retain $1.4M of Vanek's salary for the remainder of the year. Also, if the Islanders draft pick ends up being a top 10 pick in 2014, they have the option to defer the 1st rounder until 2015.

Yeah, read that about the Vanek salary, but didn't see the part about the pick changing? Interesting.

Here's hoping the Sabres end up with the 2015 first rounder instead of a 2014. 2014 is shaping up to be a less than stellar draft.

By the looks of it Regier almost did something very stupid.

http://www.cbssports...hestpaid-in-nhl

Fortunately Vanek wanted to get the heck out of town so he could go to a better team.

If turning down the largest contract in NHL history doesn't scream "I want to play for Minnesota" then I don't know what does!

Wow. Was thinking Regier had turned a corner and managed a damn good deal despite teams knowing that Vanek had one foot out the door.

But, it appears his judgement is as questionable as ever.

Even with retaining 1.4 million in salary, I still think the Sabres still won the deal.

I'm surprised that Snow did this tbh.

If ever a player did his team a favour by wanting out....

Archived