The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella on Sedins reputation: 'it's so undeserving and so disrespectful'

TheRussianRocket.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/11/01/canucks-extend-the-sedins-with-twin-28-million-contracts/

Four more years. Four more years. Four more years.

The Canucks have signed the Sedins to matching four-year, $28 million extensions. After the deals were announced, head coach John Tortorella did not disappoint.

He went to town on those who ascribe to the theory the twins are soft players when asked about the subtleties of their game.

“I’m not sure who started it but I’m sure there are a couple of know-it-alls out there who always talk about it,” Tortorella began. “But they don’t have a clue what these guys are about.

“In our league, I think we act like idiots sometimes when that (stuff) sticks with them after you watch them play.

“I’m glad you asked the question because I’ve been dying to talk about that. These aren’t soft people. These aren’t soft players.

“I’ve had the honour, in this short time, to be with them, up close and personal and see how hard they work and see what they do on the ice.

“It pisses me off, the reputation that’s still out there. It’s so undeserving and so disrespectful.”

Asked to expand, Tortorella was more than willing.

“They play underneath the hash marks in the tough areas,” Tortorella said. “I just think people pop off who don’t have a clue what they are saying and it sticks.

“You watch how hard they play on the boards, how they protect pucks. You kind of get lost with their skill, and you think that’s what they’re about and you say ‘Oh, they’re soft people.’

“It is so wrong, because they do so many little things. Don’t make a comment without really looking at what you’re saying and looking at the people you’re talking about.

“That’s the way I feel about it.”

Tortorella has obviously let the Canucks management know how he feels about the Sedins, and GM Mike Gillis suggested getting his new coach’s approval was one of the factors in convincing the brass to sign two players, who will be 34 next fall, to four-year extensions.

Damn right. Better start giving the Sedins the respect they deserve and have earned. Eakins wouldn't have said a work about this, another reason why Torts is the best thing that's happened to this team as of late....Bolland probably took back his remarks on the Sedins after Torts gave him a call and a heads up before tomorrow's game :lol:

Sedins leading the way, ftw :towel:

Kinda sickening to think, but Tortorella has done more in the media to stick up for this team in a few months than AV did in the whole time he was here.

It blows my mind. Remember when people thought Torts would be a hard ass and call out our players and create a gongshow? Instead he sticks up for every single one. I can remember specifically times where he defended/commended Edler, the Sedins, Kesler, Higgins and Lu when there were leading questions from the media about their shortcomings. The guy is a champ.

Torts is crystal clear. That's the impression I get from interviews, from player reports - everything about his way of dealing with people is clear. No ambiguity.

This team needed that. Badly. He's a passionate guy, he wants to win, and will COACH his players to the best position to where they can do that.

It starts again by beating the leafs. If we go 4W-1L for the whole season I'd say we're in pretty good stead, wouldn't you? (Yes, I know that's not REALLY realistic but stranger things have happened)

Not only was Torts the right hire, the thing everyone was afraid of, namely how he deals with the media, is turning out to be the best thing about him. That and actually coaching, teaching players what he expects of them and how to deal with situations. Shanahan is buthurt about what Torts said about Edler's stupid suspension. So the corrupt league head office is already on the defensive, which is a good start. We need someone to start telling it like it is, and Torts is definitely the guy to do that.

The biggest difference between Torts and AV is that Torts learns from his mistakes and adapts. His biggest perceived weakness was dealing with the media and his players which has actually become one of his biggest strengths. I believe that all along the Sedins wanted to prove that they can be badass but AV sheltered them like they were wounded puppies.

Archived