The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to put Kassian with the Sedins?

Bananas

A bad game and your calling into question their 2 way play? Talk about jumping to conclusions

I honestly don't care about their defensive reliability. This team has struggled to score for 3 years now and that is still the case. The Sedins are our offense as MG has not seen fit to bring in a legitimate secondary threat. They get top minutes and PP time to generate offense. If we have to rely on them to be our best defensive players, then we are destined to major failure. Hank's poor showing the last couple games may indeed be due to being over-worked (top minutes, PP, PK). IF so, Torts needs to start trusting other players and using his personnel differently. The season is only 1/4 done and our top layers looked bagged already.

Daniel has looked rough. I don't expect him to win the Richard, but his prime self could very well be on top of the league in goals right now. He's had so many chances, the guy has just stopped shooting. He was one of the most accurate shooters in the league, now he throws weak pucks into the crest. No finish, no authority, no confidence. He's missed a lot of easy tap ins since his concussion. Hopefully he can snap out of it, but if not.... teams in trouble. We will no longer have a real goal scorer, and will continue to rely on grinding out goals, goals that wont come often vs larger faster teams.

Anson Carter has really improved his skating abilities and might be open for a new contract, have you seen him on Battle of the Blades?. In all seriousness, I like how Torts has essentially stacked the first line with players who should actually be playing on the first line, but I did enjoy Kassian's ability to cycle the puck with the Sedins and know when to hit the front of the net. I would give him another shot for a few games again, after all he was toted to play on the first line before the season even started.

This

Sedins tend to get going when they get a new linemate and have to adjust their game to suit him. Burr's looked good; he's just getting unlucky. Santorelli has had success playing with Richardson; maybe somehting like this might work:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Kesler-Burrows

Archibald-Santorelli-Richardson

Tostitos-Dalpe-Welsh

I'm liking that 2nd and 3rd line, let's do it

Had him slotted in there to start the season, the only reason Kesler took his spot is because Kesler was slumping and needed a boost. Now he's struggling even with them.

I'm sick of watching players like Kesler and Burrows get given a gift of an opportunity to play with the Sedins, thrive for a bit but when they're off the top line they struggle and go pretty much scoreless.

Meanwhile, harder working players like Santorelli, Higgins, Hansen and now even Kassian manage to out-score these guys while playing far fewer minutes with far worse linemates. It's time to give someone a chance who's earned it. Kassian has been scoring great goals from in front of the net where he needs to be playing with the Sedins. He is the only player in the NHL right now on pace for 20 goals while playing with 4th line ice time (12 minutes average). In terms of goals-per-minute, he is by far our best player.

No. If you had eyes and a brain you would see that Kassian had neither the IQ or the tenacity to be effective with the Sedin's. His work ethic on ice is pathetic. He only moves his legs when he feels he can cash in on an odd man rush. Down low he uses his body to protect the puck effectively but slows the game down to a standstill. The whole game of the Sedin's is quick efficient cycling in order to spread the defense. Not a good match unless Kassian makes some drastic changes to the way he approaches the game.

This post is so full of crap. Just another Kassian hater and a blind one to boot.

So the idea is to bring in a big, banging body that can put the puck in the net. Is this not what Kesler is suppose to be? Unfortunately the Sedins need room in order to set up the big body in front of the net. Against the bigger, back checking forwards of the league they have always had issue because they rely more on the cycle game, and they just don't get the time or space against these types of teams.

Had him slotted in there to start the season, the only reason Kesler took his spot is because Kesler was slumping and needed a boost. Now he's struggling even with them.

I'm sick of watching players like Kesler and Burrows get given a gift of an opportunity to play with the Sedins, thrive for a bit but when they're off the top line they struggle and go pretty much scoreless.

Meanwhile, harder working players like Santorelli, Higgins, Hansen and now even Kassian manage to out-score these guys while playing far fewer minutes with far worse linemates. It's time to give someone a chance who's earned it. Kassian has been scoring great goals from in front of the net where he needs to be playing with the Sedins. He is the only player in the NHL right now on pace for 20 goals while playing with 4th line ice time (12 minutes average). In terms of goals-per-minute, he is by far our best player.

IMO you are a little off base with the Kesler and Burrows comments. Burrows is coming off an injury and has played on the 2nd which has been providing secondary scoring and been the top line on some nights. During his time with the Twins Burrows was always a top level scoring RW in the NHL. Kesler played well with the Twins with a dry road trip but decent YTD numbers. It is foolish to put Kassian back into a pressure situation playing with the Twins. Let a vet like Kesler handle that job. I love the way Torts has been bringing him along. 3rd line LW with an experienced C like Richardson is great for him. They were getting 10 minutes of TOI and Torts was gradually upping that. He even had Kassian on the PP for some shifts. Let this kid mature without being the focal point of Van's offense. Just because Kassian is showing flashes of what he could be doesn't mean that he is a finished product. If Torts brings the 3rd & 4th lines along with increased minutes the team should mature through the season and be a better contender next spring. I would be more concerned about the d-core's inability to get pucks on net more consistently than the 1st line going dry.

This post is so full of crap. Just another Kassian hater and a blind one to boot.

Why bother replying if you don't intend to back up your argument. The fact that you used the word "hater" for me is even more laughable. If you knew anything about me you'd know I want Kassian to succeed more than anything. He's just not the right fit for the Sedin's. Just look at the type of players that have had success with the Sedin's and you'd probably already have inkling as to why SSK is a failed experiment.

Why bother replying if you don't intend to back up your argument. The fact that you used the word "hater" for me is even more laughable. If you knew anything about me you'd know I want Kassian to succeed more than anything. He's just not the right fit for the Sedin's. Just look at the type of players that have had success with the Sedin's and you'd probably already have inkling as to why SSK is a failed experiment.

I Agree. Although the sedins have a reputation of great set up cause of the images of Kesler standing infront of the net scoring flash up in our heads but keep in mind those images are from the power play. In 5 on 5 play these men they need support along the boards to cycle and kass can't do that and go to the front of the net at the same time. We don't want kassian to become that type of player since its hard to get in front of the net that way. In 2011, guys let the sedins move the puck on the power play because they had to watch Kesler in front cause the sedins could pass the puck to him at any moment. Maybe try him on the power-play with the sedins cause Kesler and sedins suck at 5 on 5 play they both make each other worse it seems.

Zac Kassian is a bad skater, doesnt have a great shot, doesnt have great offensive sensibility, isnt a great back checker.

Where are all these tools people think he has to be a great power forward? People's expectations for this kid are unrealistic. If he ever hits 30 goals I'll be shocked.

Oh, well in that case we should just bury him the minors. Of course he is still quite young, is a decent skater, has a decent shot, has good offensive sensibility and can back check with aggression. If he scores 30 goals at some point in his career I won't be surprised. Other than all that, your comment is great.

Oh, well in that case we should just bury him the minors. Of course he is still quite young, is a decent skater, has a decent shot, has good offensive sensibility and can back check with aggression. If he scores 30 goals at some point in his career I won't be surprised. Other than all that, your comment is great.

I see what you did there :bigblush:

Most certainly! I am a long time reader of, but This is my first post. I dont want to get off on the wrong foot, or go out of my way to cause any grief or loss of sleep over this subject but, you would have to be a fool to not think kass will get there, and do what half of us expect! Will it take time..yes. Will it take patience..yes! Two things not alot of people that tend to comment on these forums seem to have, but seriously if you have played hockey in your life competitively..you know what its like to play against a mug like that! When this kid figures it all out..watchout!!! Quote me! Zack kassian will make the sedin line before they are gone and will continue to carry the youngsters who will be up and coming. This kid is smart and he knows exactly what hes doing. 3 years from now he will be a dominant force an a leader! Bet!

Ive been a true fan for 20 years, solid. Kass is going to be a beast and its exciting to see not only him but all the other YOUNG talent coming into our system.

Go nux

Your description is exactly why they need someone like Kesler. The twins like playing the possession game at the expense of shots. Put another player on their line like them and all you have is keep-away. If was Torts, I'd put a stop watch on them and tell then they have 8 seconds from touching the puck to generating a shot on net (when in the O zone). At the start of the season, Torts preached "shots" and how that generates secondary chances. IT worked for awhile but lately, the Sedins are back into their old cycle til you cough it up routine. Not coincidence their production has dropped at the same time.

This is 100% dead on. In After Hours there with Drew Daughty he made a comment that summed it up for me. He acknowledged they're super tough players to cover but he made a good point about their cycle. He said they like to pass it where you've just been and you're going to end up missing a lot of those passes. So don't panic if you miss one just get the next one, just stay in the lanes basically because you know another pass is coming up, eventually you'll get one. It's like you said it's just keep away with very little shooting. He kind of chuckled too when he realized what he said.

I also noticed a huge increase in shooting from Henrik ... Daniel although he already shot more. It is dwindling again though.

Most certainly! I am a long time reader of, but This is my first post. I dont want to get off on the wrong foot, or go out of my way to cause any grief or loss of sleep over this subject but, you would have to be a fool to not think kass will get there, and do what half of us expect! Will it take time..yes. Will it take patience..yes! Two things not alot of people that tend to comment on these forums seem to have, but seriously if you have played hockey in your life competitively..you know what its like to play against a mug like that! When this kid figures it all out..watchout!!! Quote me! Zack kassian will make the sedin line before they are gone and will continue to carry the youngsters who will be up and coming. This kid is smart and he knows exactly what hes doing. 3 years from now he will be a dominant force an a leader! Bet!

Ive been a true fan for 20 years, solid. Kass is going to be a beast and its exciting to see not only him but all the other YOUNG talent coming into our system.

Go nux

Good post! I agree! And I love your profile name lol.

Can't remember who but there was a suggestion to put Hank on a line Kess and Kass (Hank, Yank, Tank line?)

I wouldn't mind seeing that given a try while Daniel sets up the red hot Santorelli with Higgins for a good secondary.

Hank, Yank, and Tank.. LOL I love that! Why not try it out?

Kass Hank Kess

Danny Santo Burr

Higgy Ritche Hansen

Booth Schroeder Sestito

When healthy

A young physical scorer with the sedins....playing with them will teach him to play a physical game on the wing nd want to score from the slots wich is where the sefins try to throw the puck thing a rwally young johan franzen ppl...this could be good for his already established devolopement....

Personally I think lines should be

Daniel.henrik.hansen

Higgins.santorelli.kesler

Burrows.richardson.kassian

Sestito.dalpe.weise

Hamuis.garrison

Edler.bieksa

Stanton.tanev

Archived