The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alexander Semin the elite sniper we need?

DeNiro

So looking at Carolina's situation this season, they're currently 10th place in the East and have the second worst goals for in the league.

Alexander Semin signed a 5 year 35 million dollar contract last season and is under performing quite a bit. He has 9 points in 20 games, albeit on an offensively challenged team.

If I'm the owner of the Canes I'm getting kind of worried already. They spent alot of money to be a contender this season and aren't seeing the results.

So would Rutherford trade Semin as a pre-emptive move to avoid the buyout? Would this be a good move for the Canucks who could easily afford to buyout the last 3 years of his contract?

There's no doubt that when Semin is on he's a world class talent. Only problem with him is motivation. Is he worth the gamble?

I wouldn't take the gamble just because his cap hit is too high

Booth would be going back the other way, and they'd have to retain a portion of Semin's salary until we buy him out at the end of the season.

Short term solution to our scoring problem. But at least if they'd willing to take Booth we upgrade our offense.

That's the only way I see us dumping Booth is if we retain part of his salary, or take back a buyout candidate like a Ruutu, Semin, or Richards in a trade.

He is too enigmatic. He used to be more of a sniper in Washington in Carolina he has become more of a play-maker.

However he like many Russians don't play defence these days. With the exception of Datsyuk.

I think Semin is type of player Tortorella hates. Has lots of talent but is lazy defensively and only tries on offence when he is not confronted by physical contact.

He is too enigmatic. He used to be more of a sniper in Washington in Carolina he has become more of a play-maker.

However he like many Russians don't play defence these days. With the exception of Datsyuk.

I think Semin is type of player Tortorella hates. Has lots of talent but is lazy defensively and only tries on offence when he is not confronted by physical contact.

I agree, I'd be hesitant to take him, but my point is if we wanna dump Booth it's not gonna exactly be the best trades. You gotta work with teams wanting to dump contracts.

If it comes down to Booth or Semin, I'd take Semin.

So looking at Carolina's situation this season, they're currently 10th place in the East and have the second worst goals for in the league.

Alexander Semin signed a 5 year 35 million dollar contract last season and is under performing quite a bit. He has 9 points in 20 games, albeit on an offensively challenged team.

If I'm the owner of the Canes I'm getting kind of worried already. They spent alot of money to be a contender this season and aren't seeing the results.

So would Rutherford trade Semin as a pre-emptive move to avoid the buyout? Would this be a good move for the Canucks who could easily afford to buyout the last 3 years of his contract?

There's no doubt that when Semin is on he's a world class talent. Only problem with him is motivation. Is he worth the gamble?

Hot damn!

You've been a grumpy buzzard lately. Good to see you on board with suggestions and proposals. It'll help ease your tension; it does mine.

As for Semin (for Booth presumably by your post below); possibly exactly the player we need. Very few, count on less than two hands world class talents around with speed, the dangle and the snipe like Semin. He would go a long way in bringing up the temp and calibre of our play. It will take a creative proposal, but could work!

Booth would be going back the other way, and they'd have to retain a portion of Semin's salary until we buy him out at the end of the season.

Short term solution to our scoring problem. But at least if they'd willing to take Booth we upgrade our offense.

That's the only way I see us dumping Booth is if we retain part of his salary, or take back a buyout candidate like a Ruutu, Semin, or Richards in a trade.

But I don't understand bringing in anyone specifically to buy them out? I think he has 4 years left, plus this year, also?

How do we make money, it is more than a sideline interest for Aquaman I assure you, in one play off year if we pay $18.5 mill over 8 years for nothing. FTR it only "saves us $3.1 mill in Booth bucks." So call that a $15.4 mill dead loss.

Thats a dead end nobody but Snider in Philly takes on. Your either in or out on Semin? That said, I'm looking at our cards for an in. I do like Semin.

So structuring the deal... If Carolina picks up $3 mill worth of his salary, hmmmn. Well he would be worth $4 mill; scored a point a game last year. Then what exactly does Carolina get out of giving us a $4 mill top line (?) player? Plus take on Booth's salary?? So far that deal is a big ask...

We could probably have him in a straight cap dump for Dalpe & Booth with no salary retained? Close anyway if they are (and they might be) nervous about the bucks! Add Jensen if they retain that money???

Only person i'd target on carolina is skinner

And what do we have that they'd want?

The point is we don;t have many assets to give up, so Gillis is gonna have to get creative.

I don't think teams are gonna take booth off our hands and give us a top 6 player cause we add in a 2nd round pick. Good top 6 players like Cammaleri can easily fetch good packages without having to take cap dumps like Booth back.

And what do we have that they'd want?

The point is we don;t have many assets to give up, so Gillis is gonna have to get creative.

I don't think teams are gonna take booth off our hands and give us a top 6 player cause we add in a 2nd round pick. Good top 6 players like Cammaleri can easily fetch good packages without having to take cap dumps like Booth back.

Cammalleri is 31 and a UFA at the end of the season. There is a pretty good chance he just walks away at the end of the season and whatever we traded for him is gone even if he resigned he is, like i said, 31 so he has maybe 2-3 years left.

The problem lies with these NTC that everyone has, honestly I would being saying Burrows, Alberts, Corrado & 1st for Skinner. If Burrows was willing to waive the NTC I believe we have the assets to acquire Skinner without giving up Shinkaruk or Horvat.

I like it. What I would like to see is Carolina retain whatever amount of salary that he makes more than Booth for this year, and then for the remainder of his contract they retain 1.5 million of his cap hit. That way he's still making less than the Sedins and is making around the same as Kesler which I think is very fair for what he has to offer.

We'd probably have to throw in a nice prospect for them to bite on that though.

Archived