The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alexander Semin the elite sniper we need?

DeNiro

I said we should have gone for Semin when he was a UFA. Very underated defensively, if you've ever watched him back-check he's probably one of the better ones in the league in that department, and pretty good positionally (ie. covering the points), both thanks to his speed. Think a better Mason Raymond in the defensive zone. He's come a long way from the shocking defender he was to start his career, and deserves the credit for it. He may not block shots but his stick work defensively is excellent, which would help him in a Torts-based system.

That being said that contract isn't coming to Vancouver. His skill, and a right handed shot, would be ideal for the Sedins or Kesler on either line and would almost single-handedly fix our powerplay problems, but we'd have to give up Booth and Edler to get him (plus a pick or something coming back)

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Santorelli - Kassian

Weise - Richardson - Sestito

And what do we have that they'd want?

The point is we don;t have many assets to give up, so Gillis is gonna have to get creative.

I don't think teams are gonna take booth off our hands and give us a top 6 player cause we add in a 2nd round pick. Good top 6 players like Cammaleri can easily fetch good packages without having to take cap dumps like Booth back.

they would want edler... they have no D

I agree, I'd be hesitant to take him, but my point is if we wanna dump Booth it's not gonna exactly be the best trades. You gotta work with teams wanting to dump contracts.

If it comes down to Booth or Semin, I'd take Semin.

I think he'd thrive in Vancouver. For Torts, the choice would be Booth or Semin, which is an easy choice.

Edler+ Booth for Semin (retain 2 million in caphit), + 1st

Edler: they need some better defense since they lack defense and is hopefully worth Semin and a first

Booth: To give them back some offensive depth and hopefully enough for them to retain 2 million in Semin's cap

If you are going to trade Edler and a first you might as well go after Kane, much better fit to play in this division. Booth is redundant and will be a buyout next year.

Interesting idea but I don't think the Aquilini's will got for that at all. We should get some cap room next year anyway to hopefully target someone else. As mentioned he would be a perfect right winger to play with the Sedins or Kesler. Definitely the type of player we need to add to this team to push us into elite status. Of course this would be a very big mold and not in MG's wheelhouse.

I was interested in signing Semin for the one year deal when he was a UFA.

People that call him a lazy Russian are out to lunch and have probably seen him play less than 10 times. He is not lazy, he has one of the highest skill sets in the NHL.

The player I'd be targetting is Glencross.

Calgary hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of making the playoffs anytime soon.

They'll probably be looking to rent Cammalleri as has been speculated, but the player on that roster I'd actually be willing to pay for is Glencross.

He's got a good balance of grit, speed and ability to finish. He also has a damn cap friendly contract.

He also doesn't make the Canucks an easier team to play against, as the likes of Semin, Cammalleri and a number of other one way wonders do.

Booth (with a million in retained salary to balance these contracts) and a quality prospect or pick for Glencross.

Archived