The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

The last thing we need is another guy with a 4m+ cap hit that cant buy a friggin goal in a wide open eastern confrence style of play.

Isn't he playing 3rd/4th line there? And he did pretty well for himself on the defensively gritty Nashville team. Booth for Erat changes almost nothing for us cap wise and we get a player who at least can play some defence.

I don't know if I personally would want Erat though. I am an avid trade booth for whatever guy, but Erat just plays the same role as most of our team and doesn't add anything. In my opinion.

The point people seem to be missing here:

Booth hit the 20 assist mark once in his career.

Erat has averaged 34 over the last 8 seasons. Between 28 and 41 every season (and on pace for 39 last year in Nashville).

He's on pace for 21 this year, despite 11 minutes a game in a depth role, etc.

There seems to be near unanimity that Kesler needs a playmaking wing.

There's also the matter of Booth needing to recover from injury, whereas Erat appears to be healthy, as he almost always is, just haven fallen out of favour, for whatever reason.

Erat Kesler Hansen

Erat Kesler Kassian

Erat Kesler Burrows

Nothing wrong with these lines. Not as 'soft' as suggested.

Besides, Erat throws a hit a game. Booth 1 to 1.5 when he's healthy. Not really that significant a difference. Booth doesn't exactly block more shots than him.

That being said, I do like Booth's game when he's able to play it (aside from not appearing to have great awareness of his linemates). Perhaps a Booth Kesler Schroeder (who I think is going to be a hell of a player) combination could remedy the needs of Booth and Kesler - problem being of course, Schroeder's injuries.

Erat has averaged 34 over the last 8 seasons. Between 28 and 41 every season (and on pace for 39 last year in Nashville).

There's also the matter of Booth needing to recover from injury, whereas Erat appears to be healthy, as he almost always is, just haven fallen out of favour, for whatever reason.

Erat Kesler Hansen

Erat Kesler Kassian

Erat Kesler Burrows

Besides, Erat throws a hit a game. Booth 1 to 1.5 when he's healthy. Not really that significant a difference. Booth doesn't exactly block more shots than him.

That being said, I do like Booth's game when he's able to play it (aside from not appearing to have great awareness of his linemates). Perhaps a Booth Kesler Schroeder (who I think is going to be a hell of a player) combination could remedy the needs of Booth and Kesler - problem being of course, Schroeder's injuries.

Agreed. Erat on the 2nd line wouldn't make it a soft one imo. If anything, it would be one of the better two-way scoring lines in the whole league. Playing 6 assists this year playing 4th line minutes and no PP time doesn't really scream "significant drop-off" to me. Erat is a perfect fit.

Erat Kesler Hansen

Erat Kesler Kassian

Erat Kesler Burrows

Erat is an upgrade over Booth! He's been a consistent player throughout his career, except for his brief time in Washington. Most ppl have been at a job where they didn't either get along with the staff or boss or felt under used. Erat was traded for a top prospect in forsberg. If they're going to trade Erat to us, it sure wont be for Booth. The fact that some of you are actually saying that you wouldn't even take him for Booth shows your lack of hockey intelligence. Is Erat perfect...no but he would play top 6 here and if you decide to widen your intelligence a bit and look at a players overall career and his effective 2- way play rather than this anomaly that's happened in wash so far that may be because of other intangibles we don't know you'll realize that there's no way we get Erat for an often hurt, useless guy like Booth

Erat is an upgrade over Booth! He's been a consistent player throughout his career, except for his brief time in Washington. Most ppl have been at a job where they didn't either get along with the staff or boss or felt under used. Erat was traded for a top prospect in forsberg. If they're going to trade Erat to us, it sure wont be for Booth. The fact that some of you are actually saying that you wouldn't even take him for Booth shows your lack of hockey intelligence. Is Erat perfect...no but he would play top 6 here and if you decide to widen your intelligence a bit and look at a players overall career and his effective 2- way play rather than this anomaly that's happened in wash so far that may be because of other intangibles we don't know you'll realize that there's no way we get Erat for an often hurt, useless guy like Booth

You really think we would give up anything special for a guy with 0 goals in 23 games? Even Booth has scored this year and he has been a healthy scratch as many times as Erat. Adding an ok prospect and a 3rd to Booth should be more than enough to get Erat.

I appear to be in the minority here and think that Booth is unmoveable, even in an Erat trade. At least Erat was doing fine up until he joined the Caps last year. Whereas Booth has been absolutely brutal on the Canucks since he joined, years ago.

Yes, Erat's value has gone down a bit; but he was performing just fine on Nashville as recently as the shortened 2012-2013 season (21 points in 37 games). He has only played 32 games with Washington, and just isn't clicking with them.

Then you have Booth, who has played 82 games with the Canucks (over 3 injury plagued seasons), and has a whopping 35 points to show for it. Over the same period of time, Erat has played 139 games and has put up 88 points.

Erat will be leaving Washington, there's no doubt about that. Will he come to Vancouver? Possibly. Will it be in a trade involving Booth? Unlikely. Gillis isn't stupid. I'm sure he's approached every single team in the league about finding a creative way of unloading Booth. If Booth were not injured this last off-season, he would have been bought out.

You really think we would give up anything special for a guy with 0 goals in 23 games? Even Booth has scored this year and he has been a healthy scratch as many times as Erat. Adding an ok prospect and a 3rd to Booth should be more than enough to get Erat.

3rd and a prospect in itself may be too much. But the fact that Booth is on the 2nd line tonight is clear that he's not only getting his last shot, but its a clear indication of showcasing him for a transaction while scouts watch.

Didn't see these quotes from McPhee before.

http://www.washingto...s-to-trade-him/

Erat has a full no-movement clause in his contract and would need to approve any trade, but McPhee said he doesn’t expect that to be a problem because the winger has been “flexible” and “accommodating” with what teams he would be willing to move to. McPhee said he has been talking to some teams and is working to find a trade.

“We’ve always told our players, and our policy for 15 years or so, if you don’t feel like you fit in, if you feel like it’d be better for your career to be someplace else, let us know and we’ll try to accommodate you,” McPhee said. “I admire him for it. He’s been professional, he came in and he’s not pointing fingers or anything like that. He said, ‘These things happen and it’s not working out for me. I’d like an opportunity someplace else.’ No promises on when it happens. We’ll see how long it takes.”

Although he can put up points, I would rather not take in Erat. He is clearly passed the prime of his career. We shouldn't take on another reclamation project, we have enough of those already. We need a proven top 6 winger who can score goals right NOW!

There are three types of top-6 players:

1. Those who are productive, and right in their prime.

2. Those who are not yet productive, but are young and likely to improve.

3. Those whose production has tailed off, due to age, injuries, and/or other factors.

Everybody wants the first one. As such, they are rarely traded. And when they are, you have to pay a LOT for them (see: Bobby Ryan). We probably don't have the moveable assets to get a player like this (assuming one is even available), short of selling the farm.

The second type is more available, and less expensive... but they are still by no means cheap. And if you need someone who can produce RIGHT NOW, then they probably aren't the best to spend assets on (this was my only real issue with the Hodgson trade at the time it was made).

So what does that leave us? Getting a guy whose production has fallen, who will hopefully find a way to turn it up with a fresh start. Worked for us with Samuelson. Was also seeming to work with Booth, until Porter cheap-shotted him back into a cycle of injuries.

Erat would be a safe move that could help us, without hurting our future. The problem is how to unload Booth though, because I just don't see anyone wanting him.

It would have to be Erat for Booth, there's no other way. So it's how bad do the caps want to get rid of Erat, especially if there are no other takers. If we have to sweeten the pot a bit, then what is the cost? Who do we have to include, or can it be turned into a bigger trade.

That line would be buttery soft and would get manhandled in the playoffs.

I'd like to see a bigger trade like this:

To Washingon:

Edler, Booth, Schroeder

To Vancouver

Laich, Erat, Orlov

Solid hockey trade filling needs for both clubs, and allows both GM's to save face for questionable trades.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Burrows-Laich-Erat

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Weise-Richardson-Kassian

Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Stanton-Orlov

Corrado

I like this trade! I think booth is a hard sell for anyone though; wash would have to think that there's a chance he comes back to decent form. Otherwise, from Canucks side I love it!

I think I explained myself quite well! Booth has no trade value period! If Erat had been struggling in his last year in Nashville as well, I may tend to agree with you. Some guys get traded and they just don't fit for whatever reason; family reasons, personnel reasons; hate the head coach etc. you don't write off a guy like Erat you played in a defensive first system for yrs, and put up decent pts, all because of his minimal time playing 3rd line mins in Washington; especially comparing it to a guy like Booth, who's game has been declining for years and has had one injury after another. If you were their GM would you take Booth back or look for a better option? Exactly

The thing is:

It's news to no one that Erat wants out of Washington - under normal circumstances he may have more value than Booth, but a publicized trade request, being a healthy scratch and in Dale Hunter's doghouse, as well as not quite producing up to expectations (part of which is obviously limited minutes and situational use) - all these things reduce McPhee's leverage to where moving him for a comparable cap hit and a player who is also struggling or recovering from injury isn't really unreasonable. Not many teams have cap space and not many teams are going to be willing to fork over much in assets under the circumstances imo.

Archived