The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

That's fine with me - they need to cut a deal, the Canucks don't.

That's the extent to which I'd go, and only because the Canucks have a wealth of young prospect centers - otherwise, Dalpe imo would be a more important asset than he's generally considered on these boards.

I just haven't been impressed enough with him to see his value over someone like Schroeder. Then we have possible future centers in Horvat, Gaunce and Cassels that I'm even more impressed with, putting him further down the totem pole.

That's fine with me - they need to cut a deal, the Canucks don't.

That's the extent to which I'd go, and only because the Canucks have a wealth of young prospect centers - otherwise, Dalpe imo would be a more important asset than he's generally considered on these boards.

Washington won't want Dalpe as he would have to go through waivers. This is the problem with Orlov, Caps have too many players that would have to clear waivers.

I just haven't been impressed enough with him to see his value over someone like Schroeder. Then we have possible future centers in Horvat, Gaunce and Cassels that I'm even more impressed with, putting him further down the totem pole.

I don't consider Dalpe in a class with Schroeder either - which is why I'd be willing to deal him for a guy in the doghouse, wanting out, and on the block like Orlov - I wouldn't consider for a moment dealing Schroeder for him. But in Dalpe's defense - he was only dealt because he'd have been lost to waivers, he has produced quite well in the AHL and is a legitimate prospect with NHL potential, and all we've really seen of him is a handful of games at 5 minutes of ice time on the fourth line...

Washington won't want Dalpe as he would have to go through waivers. This is the problem with Orlov, Caps have too many players that would have to clear waivers.

No, that's not the problem with Orlov.

Orlov is waiver exempt.

The problem with Orlov is documented throughout the Orlov thread. it's pretty much the opposite case - Washington can freely send him back and forth, but are compelled by a clause in his contract to fabricate roster presence - in which case he neither plays in Washington (where he can't crack the lineup) nor in Hershey.

And what Washington would want isn't really something sampy or anyone else here really knows either.

I don't consider Dalpe in a class with Schroeder either - which is why I'd be willing to deal him for a guy in the doghouse, wanting out, and on the block like Orlov - I wouldn't consider for a moment dealing Schroeder for him. But in Dalpe's defense - he was only dealt because he'd have been lost to waivers, he has produced quite well in the AHL and is a legitimate prospect with NHL potential, and all we've really seen of him is a handful of games at 5 minutes of ice time on the fourth line...

Oh, he's had very little chance with us so far, where he had some with Carolina in the past. Even then, considering value, I'm not sure Washington would take Schroeder for Orlov.

Oh, he's had very little chance with us so far, where he had some with Carolina in the past. Even then, considering value, I'm not sure Washington would take Schroeder for Orlov.

If you want to call 15 games as a 20 year old, or 10 or 16 game stints since then that - in which case he's had three grand opportunities and scored 3 or 4 points in each of them - hardly amounting to decisive indications of his potential.

We'll see what they manage for him - imo Schroeder would be pulling a rabbit out of a hat - I personally wouldn't consider it.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a team where Orlov could step onto the roster. Perhaps Calgary would be a good fit.

Yup, thanks.

Dalpe can't be sent down, Orlov can. Washington needs a non disgruntled player on a 2way that can clear waivers.

Fixed. But that was how I read it.

If you want to call 15 games as a 20 year old, or 10 or 16 game stints since then that - in which case he's had three grand opportunities and scored 3 or 4 points in each of them - hardly amounting to decisive indications of his potential.

We'll see what they manage for him - imo Schroeder would be pulling a rabbit out of a hat - I personally wouldn't consider it.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a team where Orlov could step onto the roster. Perhaps Calgary would be a good fit.

I did say it was only 'some' rather than anything significant. He looked ok from what I've heard on the wing in the top 6 at times, but we don't really have that spot for him now. Other teams might have the room to give him a shot in that regard but then so could others for Orlov. I agree we don't really have a spot for him either - unless we're moving someone else from our defence in another move that could bring back more scoring talent to help our forwards.

You really think we would give up anything special for a guy with 0 goals in 23 games? Even Booth has scored this year and he has been a healthy scratch as many times as Erat. Adding an ok prospect and a 3rd to Booth should be more than enough to get Erat.

I'm not saying we would have to give something special for Erat, but what I am saying is that Booth with that contract, his lack of production for several yrs, and his injury concerns is essentially a non starter from wash perspective. If we added an ok prospect and a 3rd then perhaps they'd do it but trying to get someone who's played well for his whole career except a quarter of this one, while being on a new team, doesn't = Booth. There's no doubt that Erat's value is at an all-time low but Booth is much much worse

I'm not saying we would have to give something special for Erat, but what I am saying is that Booth with that contract, his lack of production for several yrs, and his injury concerns is essentially a non starter from wash perspective. If we added an ok prospect and a 3rd then perhaps they'd do it but trying to get someone who's played well for his whole career except a quarter of this one, while being on a new team, doesn't = Booth. There's no doubt that Erat's value is at an all-time low but Booth is much much worse

My issue with this is as follows.

Erat is on the wane in his career.

Booth is still young and could improve again.

Erat higher cap hit

Booth bigger faster body

I just don't see Erat as being the end all be all for trades. If it is Booth for Erat it is barely a sideways trade in my opinion. But if it is a package deal that sees us netting Orlov/Brouwer/Johanssen than welcome to the team Erat.

Again, With Booth we have future potential. with Erat we see a person who might stay steady in production, but could possibly be on the wane as ti is. I think the worst possible outcome is a trade happens, Erat doesn't produce and Booth catches fire back in the skate happy east

Here's some ideas on the Erat and Orlov situation from a 'Caps Insider'

@CapsJohansson90 Who are the Caps looking at to trade for [Marty] Erat? Any specific player?

Can we agree the Capitals should not look for anything other than a hard-edged defenseman who can log big minutes alongside Mike Green? TSN reported a few days ago that the Vancouver Cauncks are interested in Erat. The Canucks’ top four defensemen have no-move clauses, but if there is any way the Caps can pry left-handed Dan Hamhuis away, it would fill a gaping hole. Including this season Hamhuis has three years remaining on his contract with a $4.5 million cap hit, one more than Erat, who is also at $4.5 million. Would the Canucks take Erat, Dmitry Orlov and Michal Neuvirth for Hamhuis? If not, here is a list of defensemen who may be available, a few of whom fit the above description: the Panthers’ Dmitri Kulikov, the Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto, the Flyers’ Anrej Meszaros and Luke Schenn, the Blue Jackets’ Niikita Nikitin, the Kings’ Alex Martinez, the Canadiens’ Francois Bouillon and the Maple Leafs’ Paul Ranger. The Caps would prefer a left-handed shooter, so that limits the field to Kulikov, Del Zotto, Meszaros, Nikitin, Martinez, Bouillon and Ranger. At 23, Kulikov is the best of the bunch and has tremendous upside. He would require a lot more than Erat in a deal. Del Zotto, also 23, is in his fifth NHL season but has not impressed new Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, who recently made him a healthy scratch. He’s also more of an offensive defenseman with a history of making bad turnovers. Meszaros, 28, hasn’t played for the Flyers since Nov. 7. Two seasons ago he was a reliable top four defenseman but he’s had shoulder problems for the past two seasons. Nikitin, 27, is a solid 6-foot-3, 196-pounder who is in the final year of a contract that pays him $2.5 million. Not a bad option. Martinez, 26, has two years remaining on a contract that pays him $1.1 million. He’s a solid skater and has won a Stanley Cup, but the Kings would want more for him than Erat. As for Bouillon and Ranger, Bouilon stands only 5-foot-8 and is 38 years old. Ranger left the game for nearly three seasons for personal reasons but has a history with Adam Oates; the two spent one season together in Tampa.

@JoshJanet Something’s got to give [with Dmitry Orlov], right?

No disrespect to Nate Schmidt and Alex Urbom, but has either defenseman played so well that the Caps couldn’t give Orlov even a single game? Orlov’s agent, Mark Gandler has made it very clear Orlov has no future in Washington and the fact he’s been recalled and re-assigned to AHL Hershey five times indicates he’s probably right. It sounds to me that George McPhee would like to see Orlov get some NHL action and Adam Oates does not. I can’t see this ending any other way but with a trade.

@Robostop10 Laich has had more TOI than Erat, yet is a puck possession black hole and trails Erat in pts. Any chance #21 sits?

Well, it’s pretty clear now that given the choice between Laich and Erat, Adam Oates has chosen Laich. Maybe that has something to do with the fact Laich has three years and $12.5 million remaining on his contract beyond this season and Erat has one year and $2.25 million remaining on his. Trying to fit Erat, a career right winger, into the role of second-line center or left wing has been like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It has been suggested to me on more than one occasion that Erat could have been used as a left wing on a line with center Mikhail; Grabovski and right wing Troy Brouwer. That’s one of the few combinations Oates never tried, but I personally think the fact that Erat shoots left and wanted to play right wing was a major issue with Oates, who tried to use him on the left side. As for Laich, with 17:51 of ice time, it should be a major concern that he has just four goals and two assists and is a team-worst minus-10. All of that said, I don’t see Laich getting a seat in the press box, especially now that Erat has put himself there until there’s an injury or he’s traded.

@CapsYapp Do you believe [Caps reaction to Martin Erat] its genuine or just refusal of the team to bash a guy going out the door?

That’s a good question but it’s an easy one to answer. If Erat was a disruptive force in the locker room, the Caps would have told him to wait at home until they trade him. Erat has shown every indication that he’s a class act and it’s the reason the Caps are showing him the respect they’ve shown. As to why he went public with his trade request, my guess is that Erat was hoping to be moved shortly after his first request two weeks into the season. When an entire month went by without satisfying that request, Erat decided it was time to turn up the heat and what better way than to go public?

http://www.csnwashin...s-do-erat-orlov

Here's some ideas on the Erat and Orlov situation from a 'Caps Insider'

http://www.csnwashin...s-do-erat-orlov

That's a VERY interesting take on the situation. hammer alone for Erat Orlov AND Neuvirth gives us endless options. If there is a way to skip Neuvirth and somehow pry Johanssen away that shores up 3 of the 4 major areas of attention that are needed on this team and gives us another option. If the original trade is in question than is it out of the realms of possibility to see Lack/Neuvirth share netminding duties if Luongo is indeed traded to one of his 5 teams at either the end of the season or even; if the team is out of the playoff picture, to a playoff team at the deadline?

This is a seriously intriguing possibility and while I love Hammer, the good of the team and the long term success dictates that at the least 2 or 3 pieces of our core players from forward to blueline will indeed have to be traded. both for cap space and to free up roster spots for either new blood in our system or more productive bodies.

This is a serious something to ponder, thanks for the post Bookie

An old, soft, playmaking winger for Kesler. Where have I seen that before...

Oh right.

Sammy:

2009–10 Vancouver Canucks NHL 74 30 23 53 64 12 8 7 15 16 2010–11 Vancouver Canucks NHL 75 18 32 50 36 11 1 2 3 8

Kesler:

2009–10 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 25 50 75 104 12 1 9 10 4 2010–11 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 41 32 73 66 25 7 12 19 47

1c837ee7-0ec0-4bf7-b3e4-76b83340c362_500.jpg

This was my initial thought too. Sammy was an hugely under appreciated piece of what made the 2009/10 and 2010/11 Canucks teams offensive juggernauts.

Erat would look good in Blue.

Archived