The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you read an analog clock?

Mainly Mattias

Telling time  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No one has been willing to admit not knowing analog. I don't think we are at the point where people have stopped learning analog... printing vs cursive, that is another story.

Anyways, we use military time at work since it is a 24-hour operation and I can only foresee it becoming more and more popular and common in the future. There is no reason for it not to.

I can tell time on an analog clock but it takes me a sec to make sure I have the hour right. And I do wear a watch, mainly for fashion, but when I have it on I do refer to it for the time.

As for military time, I don't have any of my clocks set to the 24 hour system but i can do the math and figure out the time.

You bring up a good point though OP. I wonder how many kids these days know how to tell time on an analog clock. It might be a lost art, which would be a real shame

Three years ago I was shocked when I asked my 8 year old nephew the time. He got up and walked to the computer and took a look in the bottom right corner.

I asked him why did he do that when there's a big clock on the wall. He said he didn't know how to tell time the "old way".

I couldn't believe it as he's a very smart kid (not just saying that because I am his uncle).

I quickly found a website designed to teach kids manual time and forced him to learn. He was not amused but now he can read time the "old way".

I suspect the only people who answer no are very young. Sadly that percentage will only grow over time.

I have a friend who recently started working at the airport and has started using military time in all situations. It's annoying when he asks to meet at "17:30", not because I can't understand it, but because he thinks it's cool to talk like that now. I can understand if you're used to using it on a regular basis, such as in cadets or the military, but just because you work as a customer service rep at the airport, it doesn't make you special by using military time nor does it make you sound any more sophisticated.

/rant.

That being said, I love watches and analogs. My brother is just over a decade younger than me and he can barely read analog clocks because he is so used to digital. I guess it's a generation thing.

LOL it's a superior system and should be encourage. You will be assimilated.

On that note whenever you have to spell something out over the phone I always make a point of using Nato Phonetic Alphabet. It's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot not Willy Thomas Frank!

1. Yes, although I had several friends in high school who couldn't. Not sure if they've learned since then.

2. Usually no, sometimes I do wear one if I'm going somewhere fancy.

3. Yes, I'm working on my private pilot license so I need to know military time.

Archived