The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you read an analog clock?

Mainly Mattias

Telling time  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone mentioned that people nowadays don't know how to read analog clocks because they just read the digital time on their phones. I HAVE noticed that fewer people wear watches now but I didn't believe that people didn't know how to tell time anymore!! Is this true??

I have a watch and wear my watch. I prefer the analog mainly because digital are made out of plastic. Having the numbers on the analog face are a bit cramped so I prefer just the lines indicating the hour.

On a secondary note, I was curious as to how many people use military time. I keep pretty nuts hours so I like being able to look at my phone and knowing if it's 4 in the morning or 4 in the afternoon (16:00). Hence, the polls!

I can tell analog time but I'm from the pre-cell phone generation (got my first in high school, it was the newest, smallest at the time - roughly the size of a brick).

I don't wear watches because I never liked the feeling. I have an old analog watch I got around the same time as the cell phone, as a gift. The band broke on it awhile ago, so I pulled it off and tossed it, but I keep the watch itself in my pocket while I work.

I like military time too, although I never called it that. Got used to it while living in Europe, where most people use it. Have my phone set to display what I always called "24 Hour" time.

I have a friend who recently started working at the airport and has started using military time in all situations. It's annoying when he asks to meet at "17:30", not because I can't understand it, but because he thinks it's cool to talk like that now. I can understand if you're used to using it on a regular basis, such as in cadets or the military, but just because you work as a customer service rep at the airport, it doesn't make you special by using military time nor does it make you sound any more sophisticated.

/rant.

That being said, I love watches and analogs. My brother is just over a decade younger than me and he can barely read analog clocks because he is so used to digital. I guess it's a generation thing.

I can read 'em all, but never use military time unless someone else does when it concerns me.

I've two analog wall clocks and all my watches are analog. Every other time device in my home are digital; appliances, electronics and my ipod alarm clock.

I'm a Me Gen. Baby Boomer. Most peeps I've encountered who cannot read analog are Gen Y and later; my 23 yr. old god daughter one among many and a few that I work with. It's astonishing actually.

I have a friend who recently started working at the airport and has started using military time in all situations. It's annoying when he asks to meet at "17:30", not because I can't understand it, but because he thinks it's cool to talk like that now. I can understand if you're used to using it on a regular basis, such as in cadets or the military, but just because you work as a customer service rep at the airport, it doesn't make you special by using military time nor does it make you sound any more sophisticated.

He probably does that because airlines use military time. I fly 2-3 times a week, every ticket you get, every display of time is always in military time, I'm not sure why, maybe its easier to understands for people from different cultures I dont know?

I love watches, its really the only piece jewlery a man should ever wear(besides wedding ring). A nice watch is kind of like status symbol I think, and you have respect for another guy with a nice watch. I'd love to own a Breitling one of these days, just can't justify spending the 5-10k to buy to one yet..

Yes some people wouldn't know that reads 9:55

My head hurts now :(

Cannot tell if serious or just missed daylight savings time. That's 8:52.

To the OP. I am teaching my daughters all about analog everything. They'll be able to survive a world that isn't digital. The only thing my 5 and 2 year old get on a near regular basis is TV. they don't even know how to work a computer yet

Archived