The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There were a lot of games last year where Santorelli outplayed Kesler at the C position. That said he also did well at wing. Like the Twins and Kesler I thought Torts overplayed him. If Kesler is traded

then the whole question is opened up. Who takes the 2C?

That's a pretty good question, Santo isn't really a top 6 player but can fill if necessary, yes we all keep talking about how we need to keep spots open for the young guns, but they have to fight and earn it like anyone else on the team.

Really want to see this guy re-signed. However, I don't see how its possible with all our prospects moving up. We have to get rid of some center depth, or move a lot to the wing. I'm not quite sure he would be able to fit on our second line quite yet, but would be an excellent 3rd liner for sure. With Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, etc, we would have to probably move someone to wing. As I'm pretty sure Kesler will be traded, I don't know what our second line center will be. I'm assuming only two of our rookies(Jensen and Horvat) will make the jump too.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Horvat Jensen

Booth Matthias Higgins

Hansen Richardson Santorelli

Thoughts? I know it looks weak :sick:

Hansen could be replaced..

Absolutely we should sign him. We need more hometown players who will put their bodies on the line, not less. Santo had a hell of a season, and I believe he will sign for less than $1m and will be a great bottom 6 player who will fill out our line-up. How he played last year, he was one of the best free agent signings of last year, at the league minimum.

Really want to see this guy re-signed. However, I don't see how its possible with all our prospects moving up. We have to get rid of some center depth, or move a lot to the wing. I'm not quite sure he would be able to fit on our second line quite yet, but would be an excellent 3rd liner for sure. With Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, etc, we would have to probably move someone to wing. As I'm pretty sure Kesler will be traded, I don't know what our second line center will be. I'm assuming only two of our rookies(Jensen and Horvat) will make the jump too.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Horvat Jensen

Booth Matthias Higgins

Hansen Richardson Santorelli

Thoughts? I know it looks weak :sick:

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen/Burrows

Burrows/UFA/Trade/Prospect, Kesler, Kasian

Higgins, Horvat, Santorelli

Kenins, Matthias, Richardson

The thing is which prospect is going to make the jump? we can only speculate.

You'd have to wait until Training Camp to see that, so as Santorelli was playing a very solid game, brought passion and energy along with production its quite obvious the team should re-sign him.

If there is a prospect or veteran that can push Santorelli or another player for a spot than so be it, but Santorelli is a solid player that the Canucks do need.

As long as Santo doesn't want too much money I think it's a no-brainer that he's re-signed. I wouldn't give him a long term deal, maybe 2-3 years. If there are plans to trade Kesler now or in the short term that only reinforces the need to re-sign Santorelli.

better. i would assume burrows is staying though, while kesler will be traded right?

That would be a terrific bottom 6. If Horvat struggles during the season, there are guys that can take over the 3C role. Both lines are defensive and can score. I take it Hansen, Booth and Schroeder are traded?

Top 6 are the real problem for this team. The 1st line success is dependent on whether Dan and Burr return to form. Without Kes the 2nd line looks very weak. Hopefully Kas and Jensen can step up their game, but if they don't, we will see more 3rd liners playing on the top 6.

better. i would assume burrows is staying though, while kesler will be traded right?

That line up is with Kesler and yes, I don't see Burrows going anywhere.

If Kesler is traded that 2C spot becomes a battle between Santorelli and Schroeder (barring signing a UFA or trading for someone to fill that role). That's a bit of a "worst case" scenario. Then one of Richardson/Matthias moves up to the third line or perhaps we don't move Hansen (which I anticipate happening).

That would be a terrific bottom 6. If Horvat struggles during the season, there are guys that can take over the 3C role. Both lines are defensive and can score. I take it Hansen, Booth and Schroeder are traded?

Booth bought out or traded, Hansen traded and Schroeder as 13th forward or in Utica (I know he'd have to clear waivers).

That gives a LH and RH C on both bottom two lines as well.

Please. Santorelli should be priority #1 IMO. Tanev & Kassian being Restricted, can wait. Santorelli being Unrestricted, makes me a bit nervous....

If Booth stays and Santorelli isn't re-signed, I would be very disappointed.

If you go on Botchfords article, there are people in the comments that say they rather keep Booth than Santo, I clearly they have no idea what they are talking about and its kinda making me nervous that I didn't hear any contract talks yet..

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli? If so why and for how much money and how long of a contract? If not why?

I chose yes because.....

Look how he came into Training Camp. He finished first in the two-mile run, edging out the Sedins, which apparently was considered an upset.

Santorelli plays strong on his skates for a guy his size and works incredibly hard along the boards. I remember that one shift against Calgary earlier this season where he outworked 3 Flames on the boards, that really caught my eye. Santorelli's not extremely fast like Hansen is but he's quick on his feet, shifty you could say. Santorelli's also pretty good at faceoffs, in the shootout and plays well in the defensive zone. Santorelli doesn't have the best shot but has come up clutch at times and he has made some pretty decent passes to set up some goals this season. He can play any FWD position and has shown he can help make something happen on whatever line you put him on.

Santorelli was also born in Vancouver (not that it matters).

Santorelli is currently 4th in scoring among all Canucks, tied for 1st in +/- and has the best faceoff winning % of all Centres of the Vancouver Canucks.

I think we should re-sign him because he is the type of player you want your rookies to look up to. To me he is a good example of how hard work and dedication to the sport of hockey can lead to success.

Santorelli by far was my best player last year with richards and zack excited me near the end.

I would let hansen go make a deal for him as he is not consitent enough. I really dont know about horvat he did not look good in the memorial cup...got me worried...even kessler did not play as well plus his attitude is wearing on me.. I truly think its time for him to move on...they keep talking about a player that can play with kessler really good players make better playera around them..if you get my drift. I think kess is not a team player yes heart and soul but when it doesnt work out he blames his line mates.

sorry but hard decisions are going to have to be made and Grarrison can go as I think other players can do what he does..

Burrows has been our best player for years last year was not good but I believe he can be that player again. He does not get the respect that he deserves..sedins this sedins that hey Burrow s allot of time s made nothing out of nothing while sedins were doing nothing.. Togeather they are even better... I sure hope the whole team plays better this oct 2014 season.

Santorelli stays

burrows stays

zack stays

Horvat|Gaunce|

really would like to see Hunter shinkaruk as he is our scorer

and Jensen i see big things from these 2 guys.

Hansen out

Garrison out

kessler out

we do need youth as they will have more energy or should during playoffs we need that energy

Archived