The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli? If so why and for how much money and how long of a contract? If not why?

I chose yes because.....

Look how he came into Training Camp. He finished first in the two-mile run, edging out the Sedins, which apparently was considered an upset.

Santorelli plays strong on his skates for a guy his size and works incredibly hard along the boards. I remember that one shift against Calgary earlier this season where he outworked 3 Flames on the boards, that really caught my eye. Santorelli's not extremely fast like Hansen is but he's quick on his feet, shifty you could say. Santorelli's also pretty good at faceoffs, in the shootout and plays well in the defensive zone. Santorelli doesn't have the best shot but has come up clutch at times and he has made some pretty decent passes to set up some goals this season. He can play any FWD position and has shown he can help make something happen on whatever line you put him on.

Santorelli was also born in Vancouver (not that it matters).

Santorelli is currently 4th in scoring among all Canucks, tied for 1st in +/- and has the best faceoff winning % of all Centres of the Vancouver Canucks.

I think we should re-sign him because he is the type of player you want your rookies to look up to. To me he is a good example of how hard work and dedication to the sport of hockey can lead to success.

Yes.

He's had a bit of a top-six role here but assuming we use FA to address that, he's more than capable of being an effective bottom-six player. He's versatile at every position, gives 100% every night, and adds a decent two-way game.

Only reason he doesn't come back is if management lands a better version of his type of player or we have a big number of rookies and AHLers graduate to the team (Ex. Combination of Horvat, Guance, Shinkaruk, Archibald, Jensen, etc.)

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

Deniro got it right. Last thing I want is handing out another 2 or 3 million to a 3rd liner (a good 3rd liner) and a no-trade clause. We need the room for the rookies and potential free agents. Theres a lot of redundancy on this team, somethings got to give.

Santorelli would probably re-sign for less than either of you expect. Santorelli is currently outplaying every forward not named Sedin. Hard to argue that Kesler has outplayed Santo because Santorelli plays less minutes and never had a stint with the Sedins. I would move one or two of Burrows, Hansen and/or Booth if they don't start playing consistently well to make room for rookies or potential FA's and to re-sign Santo.

Yea. I think he would sign cheap too. We need to upgrade our top 6. Any way you look at it. Not enough skill imo.

I never said we don't need to. We will probably have to make moves at the draft to make room for some rookies, that's when we can either trade for one or move up in the draft. Other than that we could take our chances at FA.

Santorelli would probably re-sign for less than either of you expect. Santorelli is currently outplaying every forward not named Sedin. Hard to argue that Kesler has outplayed Santo because Santorelli plays less minutes and never had a stint with the Sedins. I would move one or two of Burrows, Hansen and/or Booth if they don't start playing consistently well to make room for rookies or potential FA's and to re-sign Santo.

It's not only about salary, it's about the roster spot.

He's not a top 6 forward on a contending team, we need to upgrade there.

So is he our third line center? Possibly, although I would put money on Gaunce or Horvat taking that spot. And we already have Higgins, Hansen, and Kassian as third liners. So that bumps him to the fourth line. Where I would argue we need to get bigger and tougher, not smaller and more skilled.

I just don't see him being a regular next season unless it's as a cheap depth forward.

I want to say yes right now but.... let's see how the ball rolls once playoffs roll around

That's unfair, Santorelli has not ever been to the playoffs and barely any of our forwards have shown they can perform in the playoffs the past two years. That and there's a possibility we don't make it.

I would hope we wait until the season's over before making any decisions. I kinda wish Gillis had done the same with the Sedins but that's done now. IF santorelli can keep up this play i would have no problem handing him another 1 year contract and only a 1 year contract. Be it 2 million or less. A multi year deal would be very poor management by Gillis.

Archived