The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gut feeling says he won't be back. He played well, but he isn't size and he isn't youth. Journeymen of his ilk are available all over the place.

Name one center that we can get as cheap as Santorelli who was on par for 51 points and can play any position.

Gut feeling says he won't be back. He played well, but he isn't size and he isn't youth. Journeymen of his ilk are available all over the place.

Name one center that we can get as cheap as Santorelli who was on par for 51 points and can play any position.

+1. Santorelli was one of the few bright spots this write off season, like the above poster who can play a variety of positions like Santo? Consider this: what happens if some of the prospects aren't ready to make the jump? He proven himself and he will again, I'm sure Benning will give him a offer of some kind and I'd really like to know who can replace him and at the price point we have for him now.

Pace, and points are not quite the same. He hasn't broken 50 points previously.

If Kesler is moved, I say keep Santo. Not a building block for the future though...no NMC, no term, low caphit is what we should offer.

He said we need to play bigger, and no one played bigger than Santo until he got injured.

I know. That is why I originally voted to keep him. In retrospect I decided that we need to get bigger to be competitive in our division. Playoffs is where it counts most and I believe that he may be rendered ineffective with a large body leaning on him in a 7 game series. Schroeder, Shinkaruk, and Santo are smallish players. Benning and Trevor have some tough decisions to make.

This teams season went downhill as soon as Santorelli was injured. Up until then we were a playoff team. He was essentially our utility MVP - played any and every line, any sort of shift and was our best player on many nights.

Re-sign him to a 1 or 2 year, 2M deal.

Re-sign Tanev and Kassian for a combined 6M. Sign Weber and Alberts for depth (or any UFA really) for a combined 1.5M. That leaves us a tiny bit of money for 1 UFA splash (ie. Vbrata for 3M if we move pieces around).

The real dead-weights on this team that Benning has to move are Burrows and Booth, maybe even Edler if he doesn't get his game back. That's about 14M tied up with our 3 worst players.

Oh really? Burrows?

Oh really? Burrows?

Burrows, I think, is a guy to have help set an example for the young guys. He has a great work ethic and plays well in both ends.

Also he managed to turn his season around when it looked like he lost all confidence. He never gave up on himself.

I know. That is why I originally voted to keep him. In retrospect I decided that we need to get bigger to be competitive in our division. Playoffs is where it counts most and I believe that he may be rendered ineffective with a large body leaning on him in a 7 game series. Schroeder, Shinkaruk, and Santo are smallish players. Benning and Trevor have some tough decisions to make.

Agreed, GMJB needs to find the deadweight that's on the team and needs to make some serious choices, I'm down for signing Santo, but size doesn't always mean you have an advantage,

I want to say yes, he's awesome but someone has to go. The log jam of middle six depth guys can't continue if we are to get prospects in the lineup.

There were a lot of games last year where Santorelli outplayed Kesler at the C position. That said he also did well at wing. Like the Twins and Kesler I thought Torts overplayed him. If Kesler is traded

then the whole question is opened up. Who takes the 2C?

Really want to see this guy re-signed. However, I don't see how its possible with all our prospects moving up. We have to get rid of some center depth, or move a lot to the wing. I'm not quite sure he would be able to fit on our second line quite yet, but would be an excellent 3rd liner for sure. With Matthias, Richardson, Horvat, etc, we would have to probably move someone to wing. As I'm pretty sure Kesler will be traded, I don't know what our second line center will be. I'm assuming only two of our rookies(Jensen and Horvat) will make the jump too.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Horvat Jensen

Booth Matthias Higgins

Hansen Richardson Santorelli

Thoughts? I know it looks weak :sick:

Archived