The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone that doesnt want a rebuild, and doesnt want to resign him is an idiot. He was arguably our best player last year till he got injured. I frankly dont care cause im in favor of a mini rebuild. If we arent doing a re-tool then yes, they should 100% sign him.

I just read the article by Botchford,(pretty good read) and some of the comments after by other posters:

Santorelli for me is the ideal 13th forward. Someone you can plug in anywhere either for injury, or to get a spark. If the Canucks are counting on him being a major roster piece, theyre in trouble. And if theyre not going after a big fish via UFA, I'd keep Booth around. The guy had a significant injury and was told it'd be a full year before feeling normal again, which coincidentally resulted in notably better and consistent hockey from him. Still not worth his contract, but he's one of the more physical forwards on the team when hes going.

Another person: You have to be careful about doling $2M to another under-sized player. We all have seen the contribution he made, but his play levlled off. I think that will be his steady level of play and on the occasion he will have an offensive explosion where he will surprise people and put some pucks in the net. If they can nab him for less, good depth signing. But I would rather see them keep Booth then sign Santo if it comes down that.

so apparently David Booth is the better player than Santo, ( I really think they should re-sign him) but comparing him to Booth and could do way better than Santo?

Thoughts?

The biggest problem with Santorelli is that unless he's a depth forward, I don't see a spot for him if the Canucks are finally getting serious about giving the kids a chance. He'd be a nice luxury, but I don't see much ice time for him unless we get into injury trouble.

The biggest problem with Santorelli is that unless he's a depth forward, I don't see a spot for him if the Canucks are finally getting serious about giving the kids a chance. He'd be a nice luxury, but I don't see much ice time for him unless we get into injury trouble.

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows/Jensen

???/Burrows, Kesler, Kassian

Higgins, Horvat, Santorelli

Kenins, Matthias, Richardson

The guy can play both Centre and Right Wing..pretty versatile

I'd be happy to see him get signed, but not for over 1.5. We need to see more of him before committing more money and longer term. His injury may have contributed to the decline last season, but Santo being out of the lineup is only one piece of why we stunk in the second half.

Well any young guy that played his heart out like he did, at least deserves an offer, providing he shows he is fit. Let's face it some nights he was our best player. I'm not for holding spaces open for prospects when there is someone who has proved he can cut it on any line.

Prospects have to fight their way into the team imo, just like anyone else. The way Santorelli played reminded me a bit of how Gallagher played in the SC for the Habs.

We want 3rd and 4th line shifts in the offensive zone right? Forecheck tenacity? Gives it hard every shift?

Santorelli

The one who almost but not quite does those things who needs to go... probably Hansen (even tho I've been a big supporter of his)

Well any young guy that played his heart out like he did, at least deserves an offer, providing he shows he is fit. Let's face it some nights he was our best player. I'm not for holding spaces open for prospects when there is someone who has proved he can cut it on any line.

Prospects have to fight their way into the team imo, just like anyone else. The way Santorelli played reminded me a bit of how Gallagher played in the SC for the Habs.

+1. Everyone is talking about how its important we bring in youngsters(which is true), also a lot of posters claim that he can be easily replaced(I feel he punches his weight way more than hansen) but your bang on.

This teams season went downhill as soon as Santorelli was injured. Up until then we were a playoff team. He was essentially our utility MVP - played any and every line, any sort of shift and was our best player on many nights.

Re-sign him to a 1 or 2 year, 2M deal.

Re-sign Tanev and Kassian for a combined 6M. Sign Weber and Alberts for depth (or any UFA really) for a combined 1.5M. That leaves us a tiny bit of money for 1 UFA splash (ie. Vbrata for 3M if we move pieces around).

The real dead-weights on this team that Benning has to move are Burrows and Booth, maybe even Edler if he doesn't get his game back. That's about 14M tied up with our 3 worst players.

Benning said we need to get bigger and faster. Santo is fast, but he is small. I'm not sure if he will fit here. I like the guy, but we need to start thinking long term. I change my vote to no.

He said we need to play bigger, and no one played bigger than Santo until he got injured.

Archived