The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you guys deal with a loss?

Pouria

Everyone grieves differently, lost a best friend in 2009 and it still hurts to this day at times. Huge hole in my friend circle that no one thus far has been able to fill.

"Time heals all" is bullcrap, sure you go on and don't remember as much but depending on how significant of a loss it is, it'll always hurt a bit

In that circumstance I'd say you honor his memory by working hard in your studies, which seems to be the main commonality you two shared. Try and bring some of what you found his best quality to be into your own practice - IE his friendliness and kindness which are admirable if not necessary traits in dentistry.

You have to allow it to run its course, however that may be for you. Sudden losses catch you off guard, so there's a bit of a settling in period.

Tough when you have commitments and responsibilities...that's when you just tough it out the best you can. Hang in there. :(

Sorry for your loss OP

I guess it depends on the nature of the loss. If the passing of a loved one was expected (ie they were sick, old, etc) I would try to make an effort to celebrate their life and remember them in the good times.

If it were to be a sudden and unexpected loss of someone close to me, I think I would shut down for a few days, at least until that initial shock had passed. I'm not one for public grief - I'm not a person who will go on facebook and change my profile pic to a pic of the deceased person and post a tribute message to them or anything like that. I'm a private person and prefer not to let others witness my grief. I'd probably just retreat and be alone until I figured out my own thoughts and feelings.

I still can't focus on my studies. I attended his wake today and saw his body in the coffin and it brought tears to my eyes. I just can't believe he is gone while he was so young. The fact that I was with him and was talking to him 3 days ago is still fresh in my mind and am still in a state of shock. Its really difficult to study. Thanks guys for the support and tips on how to deal with this.

That whole celebrating life is bs to me, When it actually happens to you especially when the person is young it really is the hardest thing to deal with.

When my dad passed away in the summer of 2010, It really messed me up. I didn't know how to accept it, I didn't want to..You spend all your life sharing it with someone you really care about and all of a sudden you can't talk to them, tell them how much you love them and you can't apologize for the times you messed up, I felt 'ripped off' like he didn't deserve it.

I had dreams of being really successful and repaying my dad for all that he has invested in me, emotionally and financially, I feel terrible that I'll never get that chance to finally enjoy it with my him, it's heartbreaking.

The only advice that I can give is that you just have to give it time..there's really nothing else you can do, just try keep yourself busy and give it time, hang in there.

I lost a close family member many years ago a week before Christmas. We went through all the motions of Christmas, just because, however our hearts were truly not in it. The following year was easier and each year after that.

I heard some great advice at a funeral service once. To keep the memory of a loved one cherished and "alive", you should take the quality that you admired the most about them and work hard to live up to that quality. That way you honour the person and keep what made them special to you going strong.

And cherish people you care about while they are alive. Let people know that you love them.

Usually I end up hanging around people that knew the same person.

I listen to a lot of music when I'm mourning, particularly music that I used to listen to with said person, or music that reminds me of them.

Time will heal the wounds.

A major loss for me happened back in high school. I ended up skipping a ton of classes after that during the year and failing 3 of them. I just didn't know how to deal with it and whenever I went to class I wasn't into it at all.

Time went on though, and I eventually accepted it.

Good thing I read the OP before replying.

Beer would not be a good idea... but you could celebrate their lives having beers FOR them. Yeah, there you go.

I went for beers and liquors and pour a little bit of it out in his honour.

No such thing existed in 2011, So it's kind of hard now.

I just think of something different and look forward to the next game.

I have never laughed harder on this forum in my entire life.

Freaking archive this right now 8 lieks,

Archive right now

My response: I am next.

Archived