The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who Would be the Best Trade Partner for McDavid

Warhippy

You should trade for 14 non playoff team first rounders so we have an 100% chance.

Yes, I'm on it. I'm running out of players though. I do have Burrows, Shinkaruk and Gaunce to give away and the 1st and 2nd picks for the next 5 years after the McDavid draft.

I honestly think the best way to acquire McDavid is to pry a 1st round pick from a good team that expects to compete for the cup in 2014-2015.

In order to grab a 2015 first from a bottom feeder, we would likely end up improving their team enough that their pick is not a lottery pick. The only feasible way to go that route is to do what Boston did to Toronto, trade a blue chip prospect for picks, the prospect will be young enough not to help the other team right away and thus their pick may end up a lottery pick.

I would question whether we would want to do this, we do have some decent prospects and if we lump a few of our best together we may get a 2015 1st out of it, and those prospects likely wouldn't immediately improve our trade partner enough to affect their place in the standings. However, we would basically be trading our farm for one good prospect, who we only have a small chance of getting anyways. I see this as a step backwards. How would Pittsburgh have done if in order to get Crosby they had to make moves which would cost them Malkin, Staal, Letang and Fleury?

However, I do feel that we could pry a 2015 1st from a team that has an ego and expects to be in cup contention next season. Find a team looking for that extra piece at the trade deadline. With realignment, and with an interesting free agency coming up, we may find a few surprises in the standings next year, and I bet at least one top team won't make the playoffs due to this. So even though its unlikely we end up with a lottery pick, we would at least have an extra chance. Plus, it would mean having two 1st round picks, so then just before the lottery occurs we could potentially flip our two 1st rounder's for a lottery pick, perhaps from the team with the least chance to win the lottery. We may have the opportunity to do this if we have two decent 1st round picks (not #29 and #30 or something like that). This is because if anyone makes moves and it results in them getting McDavid they will appear to be a super genius, however the teams that make big sacrifices and don't end up getting him will look really stupid and probably have their GMs fired. Imagine being the lottery team with the least chance of getting 1st overall, it you had a chance to flip your pick for #7, #20 + something else, you would be eaten alive if decline that offer and only end up with #5 overall.

My idea would result in a fairly small chance of getting McDavid, but I think its the only shot we have without destroying the team to the point where McDavid wouldn't help anyways.

Honestly, I think it's the Islanders. Nabakov is getting old and losing his touch and Poulin isn't exactly the best option for a starter. Hypothetical: Edler, Hansen, Schroeder, 2014 2nd for Strome and their 2015 1st. If that turns into Strome+McDavid...potential 2015-16 line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Shinkaruk - Strome - Kassian

McDavid - Horvat - Burrows

Higgins - Cassels - Archibald/Jensen

Yes please. Second line is a little small but the skill more than makes up for it.

Teams that will probably give up their 2015 1st round pick

Chicago

Pittsburg

Boston

St Louis

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

teams that could chance it .........

Phoenix

Dallas

Toronto

Montreal

Vancouver

Minny

Teams that will be hard pressed to give up their 2015 pick

Tampa

Rangers

Devils

Winnipeg

Detroit

Colorado

Philadelphia

Teams whose GMs would be fired if they gave up their 2015 without a huge overpayment

Buffalo

Columbus

Calgary

Edmonton

Florida

Ottawa

Nashville

Carolina

I left out Islanders Snow may have to hop a jet out of long Island in April 2015 before they lynch him and hang him from a tree.

Honestly, I think it's the Islanders. Nabakov is getting old and losing his touch and Poulin isn't exactly the best option for a starter. Hypothetical: Edler, Hansen, Schroeder, 2014 2nd for Strome and their 2015 1st. If that turns into Strome+McDavid...potential 2015-16 line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Shinkaruk - Strome - Kassian

McDavid - Horvat - Burrows

Higgins - Cassels - Archibald/Jensen

Yes please. Second line is a little small but the skill more than makes up for it.

This as I stated is the most realistic team.

I do believe Edler and a 2nd might get us the prospect and 1st in 2015. Just my opinion

I seriously think people need to read the original post.

We are talking about trading for a single draft pick. Not a player. Not a prospect. but a pick.

We are talking about trading for a pick in a draft that hasn't even been held. In a season that hasn't even begun.

We are talking about trading a small package for 1 pick, 1 team.

Stop comparing the Lindros trade, stop giving away half a team. Schneider got us 1 first round pick and that is what I am talking about.

What does it take to get 1 first round pick, Please stop assuming you're trading for crosby. Vanek got 1 single 1st round pick. Schneider got 1 single first round pick. That is where we are.

What do you trade to get 1 single first round pick. not Crosby but a single pick in a season that hasn't even started yet.

so if we're trading for crosby what kind of package do you think it would take? you only covered proposals for 2015 1st rounders

This....is surprisingly the best proposal you've ever written....You don't really give up much in the way of role players or prospect depth, yet give the team a plethora of decent picks. To bad you're still giving away half the team for decent picks but, that's the spirit of this debate is getting the 1st overall next season.

Not bad.

Thanks you for the compliment. Anyways lets say the Buffalo trade works out and we get 1st overall then we have 4 other picks that we can "Trade Away" We can get Great defenseman top nhl proven wingers we will have other teams coming to us and will have to over pay. Plus lets not forget we will be later 1st round picks from all these teams

so if we're trading for crosby what kind of package do you think it would take? you only covered proposals for 2015 1st rounders

We aren't talking about Crosby, those threads have been done to death. This is a trade scenario of a hypothetical trade for a 2015 first round pick.

Thanks you for the compliment. Anyways lets say the Buffalo trade works out and we get 1st overall then we have 4 other picks that we can "Trade Away" We can get Great defenseman top nhl proven wingers we will have other teams coming to us and will have to over pay. Plus lets not forget we will be later 1st round picks from all these teams

Uhhh keep in mind you're literally giving away the entire team for nothing but "draft picks"

Buffalo I think has the best chance. I say at next years trade deadline if Buffalo is in last place in the nhl This year and next year I would package taking a gamble that they will get 1st overall

Edler,Horvat,1st , Shinkaruk,2nd, Luongo for hoping and praying to god that its first overall

How can you so foolishly throw away half our future team for one player? Do you see how "well" Edmonton is doing right now with all their 1st round picks that actually panned out? Max we should want to do is Horvat and a 1st.

Oh yeah throw in the fact that you don't even know if Buffalo will win or not....

Teams that will probably give up their 2015 1st round pick

Chicago

Pittsburg

Boston

St Louis

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

teams that could chance it .........

Phoenix

Dallas

Toronto

Montreal

Vancouver

Minny

Teams that will be hard pressed to give up their 2015 pick

Tampa

Rangers

Devils

Winnipeg

Detroit

Colorado

Philadelphia

Teams whose GMs would be fired if they gave up their 2015 without a huge overpayment

Buffalo

Columbus

Calgary

Edmonton

Florida

Ottawa

Nashville

Carolina

I left out Islanders Snow may have to hop a jet out of long Island in April 2015 before they lynch him and hang him from a tree.

Hahhha ah ah ah /thread

Watching the Nashville game and realizing how poor their offense is and wondering if a package of forward(s) and or prospect like Burrows Schroeder or Hansen Schroeder/Jensen nets us their 2015 first because as solid as that defense looks with Jones Weber and rinne...my god they're terrible

Watching the Nashville game and realizing how poor their offense is and wondering if a package of forward(s) and or prospect like Burrows Schroeder or Hansen Schroeder/Jensen nets us their 2015 first because as solid as that defense looks with Jones Weber and rinne...my god they're terrible

I think Nashville keeps that 1st and trades Weber for 2 top six forwards, a top 4 left handed defenceman, a prospect and a 1st. It just seems like the logical thing to do.

I think Nashville keeps that 1st and trades Weber for 2 top six forwards, a top 4 left handed defenceman, a prospect and a 1st. It just seems like the logical thing to do.

Seriously? you REALLY think Weber garners that much return? I think he nets an awesome return but really gotta be more reasonable than that. He's still not a Norris winner, still not a game changer in Nashville and even less of one without Suter

"Again, you're not trading half the team for a player....you're trading a small package for 1 single pick, not a player not a prospect a pick that hasn't even been handed out yet.

Hansen to Buffalo might get a pick out of them, probably have to add more though "

From the post you replied to:

" I don't want to trade half the team for a lottery chance at a single player that is one blocked shot way from retirement-like all players all.

If McDavid is all everyone thinks he is no other team will trade a good chance on drafting him without a massive overpayment on the canucks part, and I truly don't think the team has the depth.

"Again, you're not trading half the team for a player....you're trading a small package for 1 single pick, not a player not a prospect a pick that hasn't even been handed out yet.

Hansen to Buffalo might get a pick out of them, probably have to add more though "

From the post you replied to:

" I don't want to trade half the team for a lottery chance at a single player that is one blocked shot way from retirement-like all players all.

If McDavid is all everyone thinks he is no other team will trade a good chance on drafting him without a massive overpayment on the canucks part, and I truly don't think the team has the depth.

Again though, you're not trading for a player. You're trading right now. NOW not in 2015 but NOW for a simple pick. Not in October 2014, November 2014 December 2014 or January 2015 but right now.

Nobody knows what happens in the coming season. buffalo Winnipeg Nashville Calgary New York Edmonton and even Phoenix could be at the top of the standings come next December.

You're talking about trading a single, 1st round pick. There should be no major overpayment needed at all.

We technically don't need to tank the season, just need to miss the playoffs. Best case scenario is that Florida or Buffalo gets the lottery pick, we trade them Kesler, Edler, and our 1st overall pick (has to be somewhere between 10th-15th) for McDavid, should do it.

Reason why Buffalo or Florida needs to win the lottery, is because they both have amazing depth at center (FLA has Huberdeau/Barkov and Buffalo has Hodgson/Grigensons/Grigorenko).

Archived