The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When we say we need a Top 6 Winger, we should mean an All-Star 1st Line Winger

CanucksJay

I think the Sedin's should be split up for a prolonged period of time. It will force them to develop something other than just a cycle game.

They can always be put back together on the powerplay or when we play teams where the cycle game is effective. It would also balance our scoring better.

Santorelli can play the middle on the third line and Richardson can anchor the fourth.

I think its worth a try. The only issue would be if the twin's would buy in to the change.

I think the Sedin's should be split up for a prolonged period of time. It will force them to develop something other than just a cycle game.

They can always be put back together on the powerplay or when we play teams where the cycle game is effective. It would also balance our scoring better.

Santorelli can play the middle on the third line and Richardson can anchor the fourth.

I think its worth a try. The only issue would be if the twin's would buy in to the change.

Almost every team, even the flames, have figured out their game and know how to stop it. They aren't scoring goals off the cycle as much as they used too. They can still tear apart bad defensive teams but there are fewer and fewer teams in that category.

MG when asked about his trading inability to make trades replies: I have made a deal at the deadline every year since I got here. Might mean there is a trade in the works we don't know about.

Yeah but we dont need anymore deals like Derek Roy.

You need to give up something to get something.

I'm ok with losing someone like Edler or Horvat if it means that we are getting back a young top tier forward.

it doesnt have to to for a UFA or RFA.

I'm saying make a good hockey trade. Wait until Horvat lights up the WJC and do something like...

Edler, Horvat and a 1st for Giroux and Simmons or even add another piece if need be.

All I am saying is, as it currently stands, the Sedins have been on the losing end in the last 3 playoffs. I don't expect things to change unless we significantly change something that will alter their style of play.

The fastest method would be by acquisition.

Yeah but we dont need anymore deals like Derek Roy.

You need to give up something to get something.

I'm ok with losing someone like Edler or Horvat if it means that we are getting back a young top tier forward.

it doesnt have to to for a UFA or RFA.

I'm saying make a good hockey trade. Wait until Horvat lights up the WJC and do something like...

Edler, Horvat and a 1st for Giroux and Simmons or even add another piece if need be.

All I am saying is, as it currently stands, the Sedins have been on the losing end in the last 3 playoffs. I don't expect things to change unless we significantly change something that will alter their style of play.

The fastest method would be by acquisition.

You want a young top 6 forward... so you trade a young, projected to be, top 6 forward that you obtained through trading a goalie.

That trade is trading future for now, something an aging Canucks team can't afford to do.

And to say the Sedins are on the losing end of Play-offs is just wrong as well, they are close to .9 PPG players in the play-offs in the last 3 years. They needed more support from the rest of the team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is how I see it once everyone's healthy:

Sedin - Sedin - _____

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Burrows - Kassian

Archibald - Richardson - Weise

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Stanton - _____

Luongo

Lack

Burrows can play center and if he can transform into that third line center we have lacked, and forms chemistry with Booth and Kassian, that could be on nasty line to play against. If a Edler, Schroeder, Jensen, Hansen, 1st package could get us a top line forward that puts us over the edge, Gillis needs to pull the trigger. To fill that hole on the third pair for this year I'd look at bringing Salo back. Him and Garrison teeing off on the powerplay? Yes please.

The only wingers that I'd be interested in on the market this year is are Matt Moulson and Evander Kane. The problem with this team is that it has too many redundant, perennial 3rd liners that are asked to step it up and play top 6 minutes.

Examples are: Higgins, Hansen, Santorelli, Booth, Kassian...

These guys take up a lot of roster space, making it seem hard to add another roster player because of the oversaturation of utility guys that can crack the team.

If a trade goes down this year, It will more than likely happen in the offseason. Buffalo will want picks going back if Moulson is discussed. I'd rather not give up draft picks or top prospects as I think we should slowly start inserting them into the lineup to give the team some much needed youth and speed, ala Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh. Heck most of the better teams in this league...

When the season's over, Edler is the guy that has the most value to land us something good. It should be him and a roster player, or buy out of Booth as a potential starting point for a package deal.

Exactly. With the Sedins getting older, they're around 60-70 point players now and no longer stars in the NHL like Crosby, Kane, Getzlaf etc. The Canucks need at least one of these types of players to complement the twins and bring their game back up to where it can be. They can no longer carry a 3rd line checker like Burrows.

I hate the "window is closing" logic. Hockey is a team sport. We can balance our lineup properly to offset some of our top offensive stars aging. Hopefully because guys like Henrik and Daniel have taken less money to stay, we can have a true four line team, with a strong fifth line in Utica next season. 2014-15 looks even stronger than this one when you factor in the cap room and the kids we will have on the farm. Having an aging Sedin's around is crucial to helping the development of younger player like Horvat,Shink,Gaunce,Schroeder, Kassian, Gaunce. The window will only close if we trade these guys for a so-called all-star winger and then lose in the first round again. Stop thinking in such black and white terms about the so-called window. Detroit's window lasted 20 years.

The cap is going to get higher for every other team.. Chicago will get better, Boston will, LA will. It isn't like we are going to become the top team next season, we most likely won't add any stars to our team.

We need a player to play with the Sedins because Sedins can play with anyone right? Holy, it isn't NHL14. Let's trade since we are winning and doing very well, let's trade Edler even though he has a NTC.

Let's trade Edler + Hansen + all of our prospects for 1 player! Relax people, wait till around February-March to make some moves and go panic mode. We are doing well.

We finally develop a good prospect pool and all you guys propose trashing it for 1 player. Sedins are declining, face it, but you people just want to trade for a top 6 player just so Sedins can become PPG again? That's just stupid let our team run with this, in the locker room they'll feel less confidence in themselves because Gillis had to trade for another player because they weren't good enough to get it done.. It does something to our players. All we would be doing is putting a band aid on a cut.

Will the 1 player make us a Stanley Cup team? No. Until we are a top team in the regular season, then Gillis can go out and make us better not to make us better when we aren't even a top team.

Archived