The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk shut down for season/ needs surgery

Tangerines

In the Team 1040 interview, he says that he consulted with the Canucks about his injury. They must have agreed to let him try to make the Canadian WJ team just like they let Kesler keep going in the 2011 playoffs. Maybe there isn't much additional risk in doing so. Anyway, his numbers before and after the Portland game tell the story. He nearly made the NHL at 18 and was showing top form in junior until he got injured, and then his play fell off. Whatever the reasons he fell to 24th in the draft, I doubt his health was one of them.

He's not going to make the team next year, he will be too rusty. Shinkaruk is probably going to Utica next year to get big minutes along with Gaunce, Fox, Subban and others. I think it's good that some of our better prospects will be making the jump to the AHL together.

People play with injuries all the time. The question is was the injury at a point where playing on it would only get worse, or was the injury going to stay where it was or potentially heal over time. In this case there was a chance it'd heal over time but they decided once the WJHC was out of the question that surgery would be the best bet.

He's not going to make the team next year, he will be too rusty. Shinkaruk is probably going to Utica next year to get big minutes along with Gaunce, Fox, Subban and others. I think it's good that some of our better prospects will be making the jump to the AHL together.

The rust will get taken off in the Rookie tournament followed by the month long training camp/pre-season.

Guy's a bust. Too small to begin with and now proven to be significantly injury-prone right out of the gate.

Oh, thank God we have the great Jordan Schroeder though. Pfffffft.

Stop banking on midgets.

Are you just THAT stupid? or a complete moron? Have you ever heard of a player named Steve Yzerman? 5'10 @ 187 pounds... 1 inch shorter than shin and only 7 pounds heavier.. DUH! Oh and another guy by the name of Gretzky 1 single inch taller than shin and 2 pounds lighter... sheeesh.. why do some people seem to turn off their brains before posting on threads?

I retract my previous inflammatory response to this subject. Of course i wish Hunter all the best and if Lack can recover from this and be better than ever, then what the heck.

Team Canada sure could use Hunter's skill-set right about now, that's for sure. He's in the top-half of that group, skill-wise, and that's saying something.

So let's hope he recovers and has a boom year in 2014-15.

Initial reaction was more about being ticked off about most of our skilled top draftpicks getting hurt fairly regularly. Knock on wood re: Horvat.

Archived