The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Dane Fox

cs2016

Last couple days I've been trying to figure out how excited to be about this overager. I guess if your going to sign one he might as well be leading the entire country in goals and second in points. I guess he may very well be the best 20yr old in the world that hasn't turned pro yet.

If he was just on par with Horvat and them I'd be like meh whatever. It's kinda hard to not be optimistic with how much he's dominating. I doubt our best prospects would have many more points than him if they played as a 20yr old.

Last couple days I've been trying to figure out how excited to be about this overager. I guess if your going to sign one he might as well be leading the entire country in goals and second in points. I guess he may very well be the best 20yr old in the world that hasn't turned pro yet.

If he was just on par with Horvat and them I'd be like meh whatever. It's kinda hard to not be optimistic with how much he's dominating. I doubt our best prospects would have many more points than him if they played as a 20yr old.

You don't expect much. If he is on par with Hovart? Meh? Who are you? If he's on par with Hovart, Gillis has got a steal, again!

This kid isn't going to step in. Gillis got him for nothing,he's taking a chance. Some other GM gets him and many would be whining about hos Gillis and Co missed him.

You need to think your posts out. Move out of your mother house.

You don't expect much. If he is on par with Hovart? Meh? Who are you? If he's on par with Hovart, Gillis has got a steal, again!

This kid isn't going to step in. Gillis got him for nothing,he's taking a chance. Some other GM gets him and many would be whining about hos Gillis and Co missed him.

You need to think your posts out. Move out of your mother house.

Lol get over yourself.. EVERY YEAR there's a BUNCH of 20yr olds in Canada on par with the last draft class. RARELY do any of them pan out... If you actually payed attention to junior hockey you would know that. I didn't even diss him in my post and I'm actually excited about this player because he's blowing the last draft class out of the water. I said IF he was on par with the last draft class it would be nothing special as there's always high point overagers. He is exceeding all those guys by a lot and that is very intriguing.

You need to think your burns out, the move out of your mothers house was never a good one and no matter how many times you use it, you just sound like a loser who recently got his first apartment.

Grenier was 19 when he was drafted, right? As was mallet. I'd probably rate Fox higher than these guys as far as overage junior production goes. I know he's 20 but I doubt either of those guys would score a 2 point a game pace in the ohl if they were a year older.

Another point is Fox is only 5 months older than gaunce. So less than a half a year of body maturity and almost 30 more points.

This is interesting signing for sure. My guess however, would be that he's another bust. Generally undrafted JR players put up big points in their 20 year old bodies vs a bunch of 16/17/18 year olds.

He can only be a bust if you're expecting him to progress like a 1st round pick. If you're expecting him to be an undrafted free agent signing, then even success at the AHL level with perhaps a few NHL games as a call up is a reasonable outcome.

Different players mind you, but Grenier would be the closest to be able to achieve the goal scoring Fox has if he hadn't been delayed in his development.

Ya I'm just trying to gauge value and googling stuff on my phone. Also looked at Tanner Pearson was taken in the first round 30th overall as a 19 year old. He had similar point production.

Either way it's as if we replaced a late second or third round pick we traded away a couple years ago. All undrafted guys are a long shot but the fact we have 3 on our team right now leaves me very optimistic. especially since the guys got more goals than games played.

Great job MG

I tend to look at a signing like this as though he would and should have been a late second or likely a third round pick. He had some issues (I was a teenager and boy did I have issues) and may well have grown up a bit. We signed him without using a pick.

If we sign him and he turns into a solid player, heck, maybe he is that diamond in the rough that comes along once in a while. It's a huge bonus.

If we don't sign him and someone else does we lose the opportunity to find out if he is. Worst case scenario he should at least be a serviceable AHL player. We need some of those, I've seen the Comets play.

I like the signing. He has skill, a two way game, he is apparently gritty and he has something to prove. I like those ingredients.

This kid would have went in the 2nd or 3rd round in the draft, but teams didnt want to take a chance on him because of his off ice issues. He's only 5 months older than Gaunce and is scoring points at 1.97 per game. Yes he's an overager, but the last 2 overagers to score 70 goals in the OHL were Tavares and Lindros and he's on pace for that. Just saying..

Also just a side note he was pretty much a PPG player in the OHL before this breakout season.

This kid would have went in the 2nd or 3rd round in the draft, but teams didnt want to take a chance on him because of his off ice issues. He's only 5 months older than Gaunce and is scoring points at 1.97 per game. Yes he's an overager, but the last 2 overagers to score 70 goals in the OHL were Tavares and Lindros and he's on pace for that. Just saying..

Also just a side note he was pretty much a PPG player in the OHL before this breakout season.

Neither Tavares nor Lindros played in the OHL as overagers.

They were just the last 2 to score 70 but they made the jump to the nhl as 18 year olds.

Lindros probably would have had 150 goals as a 20yr old haha

Brett Maclean put up insane numbers with Tavares and had no NHL career.

That said, Maclean cost the yotes a high 2nd round pick. And I wouldn't exactly call him a bust either, 30 goals as a second year AHL player are solid numbers. Despite being the top scorer on their AHL team, putting up better numbers than high first round picks Turris and Boedker he was given only 13 games in the NHL (scored 2 goals).

His career was cut short and he was forced to retire at 23, so it is possible he could have still panned out.

Big difference between the two is Fox projects more as a bottom 6 player. On offensive skill alone he would probably end up as an AHL tweener.

Archived