The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT van loses to queens

Cucumber

You clearly have never played hockey, since all I've ever heard from coaches playing 20 years of hockey, is get the 2 points. Nor do I ever tell the team I coach to ever lose sight of the 2 points, Sure they've/I've preached push back, don't let them push you around. But the emphasize get the bloody 2 points, ESPECIALLY when it's a division game, ESPECIALLY when you're literally 2 points behind them in the standings, ESPECIALLY when they're a strong playoff team.

So they send a message, whoptee doo. They also send a message that they also can't sustain pressure and create good scoring opportunities playing this sort of style with teams who push with the push. In the playoffs what matters to you, the pushback or the win? Exactly.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Want to hang out with Blackberries and I?

This loss doesnt hurt as much because at least they did not lose AND get physically humiliated.

A few points:

1. This team needs a legit pp QB and a 30+ goal scorer. Edler may be able to fill in the QB role but they do not have a game breaker. A guy that can float for 58 minutes but get you the goal when you most need it.

2. Good on them for gooning it up tonight. They lost with pride and they humiliated a guy like Brown on his own ice. First he chickens out with Kassian - he knew why Kassian was challenging him and he didnt answer the bell. Then Kesler fed him his lunch in front of his fans. They stood up for Luongo and Sedin. A great way to build team Chemistry and to build confidence in themselves.

3. Diving. I thought the Canucks were supposed to be the diving champs? Brown dove to draw that initial penalty and then Quick acted like he got shot when Weise went through his crease.

4. LA is big, but they are not that tough. Goon Sutter has them playing a 5 man box and he knows how to use their size to wear teams down in the o zone. I mean they have willie mitchel and dana regher murzyn on their D - slow and slower.

5. Bieksa in front of the net and Weber on the point is not a very good first line unit, Torts makes some genius moves sometimes but tonight's pp looked like a desperation move. Why not put Kassian in front of the net?

The refs treat the Sedins like 4th liners. The moment our guys after their top players they get misconducts and thrown out of the game. This is why the Canucks get the 'soft' team image, the refs have been successful neutralizing us by giving bs penalties for defending ourselves. Tonight was not that night even though the refs tried their best.. and for that I call it a moral victory for the team.

hey dufus was this the playoffs?

you think this didn't bring the team together a bit

you think they didnt just send a message to the league?

you didn't notice how few shots LA was getting and that the team that plays us dirty all the time was initimidated?

umm...it was called a statement game...you think torts didnt tell the boys someone go feed brown off the first faceoff?

this was the strategy, go play hard, in their face, and I dont care what happens, but goddamit man up

and they did....and now la knows if they try their crap they will be fed

intimidation matters, it gets in your head, it makes you less patient with the puck, it makes you avoid hits

that matters in the playoffs

Yes, but they know they will still win anyways so do you think they care? no

Yea, those crazy shoves. Causing dimes all over the place.

Also, you can't call a charge on a missed hit. I kind of see where you are coming from, but that's just a fact. As an example, I can't remember who it was now (I'm thinking Lupul?) but somebody missed a blatant elbow attempt on a Canuck player. If that makes contact he gets the book thrown at him but you can't call a penalty if he doesn't actually do anything to the guy.

Nice one on the edit. There were a lot of things going on in this game, but hooks and interfering plays were few and far between.

Didn't miss him...he hung a leg and got a piece of him, at the very least he got as much as Weise got on Quick.

Canucks came out like a team possessed for the first two periods, too bad they couldn't keep it up for one more though.

Terrible reffing doesn't help anything though, well, unless you're the LA Kings...

Even though they lost I'm still proud of the push back they showed, the bad reffing really took it's toll on them mentally I think.

Just a quick question: How stoked where you when Torts came to the Canucks? :P

Very happy :D

I think he was the best option available. I never jumped on that Dallas Eakins bandwagon and for good reason..

This loss doesnt hurt as much because at least they did not lose AND get physically humiliated.

I agree with this actually. For how negative I've been about this game they have shown up to a few games with little or no effort and that's even more frustrating.

2. Good on them for gooning it up tonight. They lost with pride and they humiliated a guy like Brown on his own ice.

Have to disagree with this point though. Reminds me of Team USA vs Iceland in the final game of Mighty Ducks 2. Sure, Dwayne can lassoo the guy and Ken Wu can become the 3rd bash brother but they were still down in the game after 2 periods. Maybe the Canucks needed a nice Gordon Bombay speech tonight?

The refs treat the Sedins like 4th liners. The moment our guys after their top players they get misconducts and thrown out of the game. This is why the Canucks get the 'soft' team image, the refs have been successful neutralizing us by giving bs penalties for defending ourselves. Tonight was not that night even though the refs tried their best.. and for that I call it a moral victory for the team.

I agree. The twins get little respect from refs.

But the twins aren't alone. Sid the Kid takes a ton of crap and cheap shots.

This league just does not take care of its stars.

This game just made me dislike Gillis more. It's time for him to do something and give this team some help.

Exactly! The team is playing as hard as they can and doing what is asked of them but they lack the talent to finish teams like LA and Anaheim off. Gillis has know for 3 years the top 6 is missing a sniper. I know it's not easy to make deals in the NHL at times but the twins and the core of this team are being wasted away trying to pull off the impossible. Torts has re-invigorated them in many ways and has them playing a more intense style but the missing piece(s) are still evident.

You clearly have never played hockey, since all I've ever heard from coaches playing 20 years of hockey, is get the 2 points. Nor do I ever tell the team I coach to ever lose sight of the 2 points, Sure they've/I've preached push back, don't let them push you around. But the emphasize get the bloody 2 points, ESPECIALLY when it's a division game, ESPECIALLY when you're literally 2 points behind them in the standings, ESPECIALLY when they're a strong playoff team.

So they send a message, whoptee doo. They also send a message that they also can't sustain pressure and create good scoring opportunities playing this sort of style with teams who push with the push. In the playoffs what matters to you, the pushback or the win? Exactly.

While I agree about the 2 points, I think the Canucks out played the Kings tonight, it just so happens that we hit the post and Quick made some good saves. If the Canucks continue to play like that (Minus the 67 PIMS) they would beat LA in a 7 game series. I seriously hope this is the spark that gets this team going again.

My stars of the game

#1 Sestito

#2 Kesler

#3 Edler

Guest Gumballthechewy

Very happy :D

I think he was the best option available. I never jumped on that Dallas Eakins bandwagon and for good reason..

I always wanted Torts, he has a fire in him that I knew this team needed.

If the Canucks continue to play like that (Minus the 67 PIMS)

BINGO! Too many bonehead plays that led to the penalty minutes. This is what most people on here are happy about tonight and that's why I disagree. Their "push back" tactics were idiotic, but when they actually tried to play the game they did play solid and pretty hard-nosed.

Tell that to the Stanley Cup winning coach who wanted them to play this way during this game. Sometimes games in the regular season mean much more than just "two points".

I agree with this actually. For how negative I've been about this game they have shown up to a few games with little or no effort and that's even more frustrating.

Have to disagree with this point though. Reminds me of Team USA vs Iceland in the final game of Mighty Ducks 2. Sure, Dwayne can lassoo the guy and Ken Wu can become the 3rd bash brother but they were still down in the game after 2 periods. Maybe the Canucks needed a nice Gordon Bombay speech tonight?

For me, after watching LA push them around for the better part of three seasons, the fact that they went out and instigated taking the game to the gutter instead of waiting for LA to run them was highly rewarding.

THe very first time the Kings played the Canucks with sutter as coach he tried to get his team to go after our good players. Its a strategy he has used successfully in the playoffs and in the regular season.

The canucks showed they are physically equipped to deal with teams that try and take the game to the gutter. I am pretty sure that this will give them a big mental boost.

I blame Gillis for not doing something to get this team immediate top 6 scoring help - he had assets like Schnieder and Hodgson and he turned them into long term projects instead of getting immediate help. They have a legit window here to do something and he trades for 5 years into the future. (This is a side rant though...nothing to do with our original discussion)

You've got to hand it to Darryl Sutter..It was on his arrival that the Kings imposed their will on the Canucks,batting the Sedins around with impunity with no retaliation..Even though I do think that AV is a good coach,it always bugged me that he instructed his players to take 'higher road' and let the refs sort it out

Fortunately,Tortorella had finally seen enough....I think he told his players before the game to forget about the score and stand up for each other....We all hate losing,but I think that it gives us a preview of what the Canucks will be like come playoff time.

Archived