The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Identity Crisis

Kanucklehead10

I don't see how we traded skill for toughness.

Canucks traded skill for less skill when they traded Hodgson for Kassian.

traded useless old players with expiring contracts for a useless younger player with a bad contract in Booth.

You can't tell me these trades made us any tougher.

I don't believe it has as much to do with a new system as people think. Sure you can angle it that way, and I'm not saying there isn't fallout from Gillis, but this team has struggled to score long before Torts rolled into town.

Pretty much, as it stands, this team is now producing in the exact same manner as the last couple of seasons. So take away any approach to toughness or a new coaching system and you're left with the exact same issue as the last two seasons ... goal production and our inability to put the puck in the net.

Can these players score? Yes, they can. Why aren't they? There's a reason. If this was just a slump with a few players here and there, it would be different. But it's the entire team. Not just this season but the past couple.

Me, I just think it's a deeper issue than what it appears to be. And these last few games have been extremely revealing. This identity crisis has less to do with Torts and AV and more to do with the players themselves.

I've been glass half full this year with Torts here, but for the first time this season I'm starting to look at our core differently. And I really hope they can turn me around in this.

I'm not sure Gillis sold out skill for toughness. He added toughness, but our skilled players need to step up and play their roles. It looks like we are gooning it up since our skill is non-existent/dried up. I am like most of you pray they find it within themselves to pick themselves up and find the confidence to start playing like pros again... GKG!

I don't know why everyone is so shocked, this team lacks the skill and the depth to be a contender. Most of the roster is fairly useless against anyone even mediocre. Now you see Torts using said useless players in larger roles because he has no choice, the results are not exactly shocking. Is it really shocking that Torts rides 5 players and those players are now gassed mid season? Not really. Is it his fault? Not really.

The OP is just simply wrong, this is not a skilled team anymore because they are trying to goon it up. Most games they barely hit....ever. It's not a skilled team because it barely ever was. AV does not get credit for the innovations he made to this team. The zone entries, set plays, and powerplay schemes he brought in worked insanely well for quite awhile, but as they always do...people caught on. And it had a fatal flaw, big skilled teams.

Should Gillis be fired? Yep, because he didn't rebuild during the best draft in nearly a decade. Because if you aren't rebuilding you need to go for it, which means you don't trade Hodgson who would be Kes's center right now and then make up a bs story about why. You also don't pass on Nichushkin because you have no balls to take a russian, when he's the exact type of player the teams been desperate for forever. Not to mention it's the first time you can get your star twins who've carried this organization the player they've been waiting for their entire careers. But you're scared for your job so you take another defensive center that will always struggle to score, but will be a safe nhl'er for years.

Safe doesn't win sh*t. But kudos to gillis for his bargain signings and for sending out a league wide memo yesterday that Weise is available for trade. Seriously I howled, bet his phone is going bananas.

Well that's just it though, if we're not a high scoring team, with an excellent power play and a group of guys that annoy and draw penalties, and we're not a team that is solely commited to D first, winning a game 1-0 or 2-1 and we're comfortable in those situations, and we're certainly not a physically imposing team that is going to literally beat you, then we're just a team that is at the mercy of what the other team wants to do. We're not dictating the play, because we don't know what direction we want to take the game in.

The team is built on the cycle down low when they resort back to that like they tried in the last game they get clobbered.

At best the Sedins have average quickness. If they are both playing on the same line that pretty much takes two man fore check away from that line.

Time to make some changes and split them up! In this type of NHL they really don't have a chance on the cycle given all the well coached teams know how to play them.

As far as the way the game is being called on a daily basis, this is something the team has to figure out.

Its pretty obvious the new model for the NHL is BIGGER TOUGHER MEANER,

What ever! I think it is just a phase. Unfortunately the way this team is built is on the wrong side of that phase

Gillis went to trade for toughness over skill, but how could he not? He just watched the most skilled team in DECADES (since the Habs really) get embarassed by a team full of goons.

Hindsight is everything, but Chicago proved that skill and SPEED can beat big hulky toughness, we just didn't have much speed in 2011 (Sedins were slow, Kesler was playing on an injured hip so much slower, Samuelsson was slow etc.)

The sorts of teams that are winning right now are big, physical teams with skill and speed mixed throughout the lineup. Take the Kings, Ducks and even Blackhawks and Bruins. They all have giant forwards up in their top 6 like Brown/Kopitar/Perry/Getzlaf/Hossa/Lucic, but their top-6 also has some purely skilled guys like Williams/Selanne/Kane/Krejci and a LOT of speed in their bottom-6 instead of useless checkers or goons.

umm...this is correct but not just right now, this is nothing new to hockey...its simply mg is a baffoon....that mix you suggest has been what's won since the invention of the game...

I don't see how we traded skill for toughness.

Canucks traded skill for less skill when they traded Hodgson for Kassian.

traded useless old players with expiring contracts for a useless younger player with a bad contract in Booth.

You can't tell me these trades made us any tougher.

Toughness comes in different forms. Tough in driving to the net hard and crashing over goalies. Tough in crazy don't know what this kid'll do stuff. So it doesn't have to be fisticuffs tough...just an edge or in your face play that can cause a bit of chaos.

And you don't really know how players will fit in or if they'll live up to what your expectation of them is. With Kassian, he's a work in progress. Booth is a fairly solid player when he's on and connected.

It's funny, pretty much every single person on CDC wanted Gillis to do exactly that after 2011.... <_<

We didn't win the president trophy that year with our toughness. We beat teams with our skill and our puck possessions, not by beating up the other team.

We didn't win the president trophy that year with our toughness. We beat teams with our skill and our puck possessions, not by beating up the other team.

While you have a point, there is a point to the side that will mention those were regular season games and we needed to win 16 playoff games more.

Are you sure you were watching the same game?

The same ones I was watching. Our lack of scoring in part due to injury was the single biggest factor in us not winning that elusive 4th game.

Well that's just it though, if we're not a high scoring team, with an excellent power play and a group of guys that annoy and draw penalties, and we're not a team that is solely commited to D first, winning a game 1-0 or 2-1 and we're comfortable in those situations, and we're certainly not a physically imposing team that is going to literally beat you, then we're just a team that is at the mercy of what the other team wants to do. We're not dictating the play, because we don't know what direction we want to take the game in.

I'd have to question the ability of this team to choose any of those identities and be successful with it. The pieces simply aren't there.

While you have a point, there is a point to the side that will mention those were regular season games and we needed to win 16 playoff games more.

We won 15 playoffs games that year, which is better than 29 other teams.

The fact is we lost because of lack of scoring, not because we were getting manhandled by Boston.

Archived