The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to make your stand on the 2013/14 canucks

ForsbergTheGreat

I %100 believe in this team.

This team is full of stars. Natural talent does not disappear. It's a long season and we're under a new coach who still doesn't understand what it means to hold a lead.

We've blown 10 or more leads or something ridiculous. Hopefully he can figure it out. If not I'm sure the players will - they still must remember AVs ways.

This team has shown time and time again they can beat the best teams in the league.

Plus we have the greatest goalie of all time.

We'll make the playoffs and if the refs don't fix the games like they have been all of 2014 then we'll have a chance to go to the promise land and bring home the cup.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks miss the playoffs, if they can't even eke out a win against the Coyotes then IMO it's kind of dire. Which is sad because on paper (and shown in some games) honestly I think we have the potential to take any team except for Anaheim in a 7 game series, 1-5-2 in the pretty-much pacific stretch of games.

Also screw you, just because I'm critical of the team doesn't mean I don't support them. Who are you to determine who is, and isn't a true fan? Just because we aren't blindly cheering on the glaring flaws, and mediocrity the team puts forward? Get off your high horse, been a Nucks fan since '93 and always will be, I'm just realistic so my general demeanor isn't centered on a Nucks W.

Part of being a fan is having the ability to see the shortcomings of the team. I'll back you up there Lychees. The Canuck's play as of late has been toothless. They've sucked. Doesn't mean that I'm going to cheer for the Leafs though.

If the offense can be addressed, there is no reason to think this team cant make it.

IF Luongo is healthy and plays well, our defense (Normally) is quite solid, If not one of the best.

Gillis lands us a Sniper,and yes,I believe we can win.

No moves, and our current offense remains in tact... then no, 1st/2nd round of playoffs

I love how these epic 'rally the troops' threads pop up now and then only to vanish a day or two later just like every other thread.

As if one joe blow user on cdc determines whether or not other users are 'real' fans.

Most of us who've seen long periods of winning and losing? Yeah, we don't need to be babysat.

I love how these epic 'rally the troops' threads pop up now and then only to vanish a day or two later just like every other thread.

As if one joe blow user on cdc determines whether or not other users are 'real' fans.

Most of us who've seen long periods of winning and losing? Yeah, we don't need to be babysat.

But how will I ever know if I'm a true fan? I thought I needed a CDC stamp of approval.

I have cheered for this team forever, through thick and thin and I will continue to do so. They have heart and soul. They are my team.

Just because I am realistic and think they are not up to going beyond the second round, or maybe miss the playoffs altogether does not kick me "off the wagon"------ got that OP?

The core is tired. 33 year old legs are starting to fall behind 21 year old legs. The toughest thing for me is to see that some of the best players ever to lace up skates may never get to hoist the cup.

If we miss the playoffs or get thrown out early this year, then a major blow out is needed.

BTW, I don't blame the officials, the league or any one else. It is just that our core is getting past its prime, you can see it more and more as the season progresses.

It's not whether you think canucks will win the cup or not this year or even go past the 2nd round. It's more about if you've already wrote them off and have given up hope. There's countless people in CDC stating how terrible Gillis and this team is this year. Yet when canucks start winning they hop right back on the wagon. It also has nothing to do with who's a true fan and who's not. How many statements are they that gillis has wrecked this team. People saying canucks will miss the playoffs, we need to trade everyone and rebuild

Its as simple as if you think Gillis is terrible and doing a terrible job and you go out of your way stating this, there should be consequences if the team proves you wrong this year. Again the "Burrows do we need him thread" is a great example. Someone thinking they are smarter then the people in charge go out of their way to state this opinion, even insult others. Then as time goes by the players/team often proves these people wrong and usually there's no consequences.

I'm in. I do (believe).

Because I know this game is unpredictable. That how a team plays in January doesn't reflect play in March. That injuries and illness can weigh in, as will scoring droughts.

Sure, blah blah need this/that.....but I think that Kes, Burr, Bieksa, Lu, Sedins have something left in the tank. No spring chickens, but bring experience with them and have seen it all at this point.

I won't change my mind, as usual.

I am a full blown, bonafide homer. Doesn't make me irrational, as I am aware that we having pressing issues that have shown themselves for awhile now. But I believe despite them.

People who write off a season now shouldn't have bothered in the first place is my opinion.

I don't believe the Canucks can go far this year. Even with a couple of big trades. They have essentially given up.

I understand why they would too. How can this team make any headway when there are refs like Devorksi and O' Rourke officiating the games?

Both the biased officiating and woefully inadequate Department of pffftt...Player Safety rulings are painting a very clear picture. The Canucks are fighting an impossible uphill battle against not only other teams in the league, but the league itself.

Tom Sestito was given a game misconduct for trying to make Nolan pay for his charge on Daniel. Nolan proved to be nothing more than a coward. Sestito was doing the honorable thing. In the next game against Anaheim, Devorski allowed his bias to shine through by penalizing the Canucks in a lopsided manner I've never witnessed before.

Martin Hanzal attacked three Canucks with his stick, injuring all three. He received a double minor and a paltry $5,000 fine. He was given free reign to use his stick as a weapon, and only when he made contact with Booth's head did he pay for it. What that scumbag Hanzal did was far worse than anything Edler has been suspended for. There was clear intent by Hanzal on all the accounts. Yet the league has no consistency and is actually moving in the opposite direction.

The Canucks are a marked team. They show push back and allegiance to each other? They get penalized.

The Kings do it? Half the penalties.

Now I'm not making an excuse for the sloppy, pathetic road trip. The team should be ashamed. But maybe they are tired of the obvious bias against them and feel they have run out of options.

Yeah Tortorella could say something but that would incense the league and other players around the league. The ires would be raised and the Canucks would be labelled whiners for trying to draw attention to what is an actual problem. The NHL can't be considered a relevant sports league when such clear inequality is present.

As much as Gillis' track record for trades and FA acquisitions leaves something to be desired, he should be commended for calling out this long standing inequality during the 2011 series against Chicago.

This

Hmm I am not sure I can commit either way so I will make a compromise

1: I will support this team as a devoted fan

2: I pledge to consume more bottles of beer during the playoff season then the amount of games they win

No offense but you have to up the ante. A cup win is only 16 beer over a period of a month and half.

Part of being a fan is having the ability to see the shortcomings of the team. I'll back you up there Lychees. The Canuck's play as of late has been toothless. They've sucked. Doesn't mean that I'm going to cheer for the Leafs though.

Thats the point though, OP was implying unless you don the pom-poms and hurrah the Canucks instead of using your knowledge of the game to yes, support the team, but also recognize the issues and be able to deal with the reality that hey, only ONE team can win the cup, and the odds the Canucks do is not very high at this current moment with our team composition, and overall play over this past 2 1/2 weeks than you are a bandwagoner and not a fan of the team, which is utter bullcrap

Im down its a slump everybody has them...If our core is "past its prime" and on the "decline" is getting ridiculous...Lose a few games not the end of the world...Never saw these comments in December...Make the playoffs we have a 1 in 16 chance at the cup nobody else has better nobody has less...Did anybody expect the Pens to get pushed to game7 against the Islanders? Or Boston shutting the door on them? Did anybody expect the Kings to be aces and beat the 1st seed Canucks...2nd seed Blues... 3rd seed Coyotes? Never write off a team if can make the playoffs anything can happen

Hoping coaching will make this a different team in the playoffs.

Defensively, the team is equal to the past squads. Good sign IMO. Vigneault/Tortorella making no difference there.

Offensively, it's looking worse. But a healthy line up and a bit more time are what's needed to make an accurate assessment. What to keep in mind is that regular season offence hasn't equalled playoff offence for this team. So we need to see the team in the playoffs at least once to see where they stand.

Overall I feel VAN can compete. Pessimist see a team that has failed in the playoffs in the past, I prefer to see it as a team with plenty of playoff disappointment experience. Like every other team, the players needs to rolling at the right time. And as mentioned before, we need to see the playoffs to make an accurate assessment. Trading before that, especially when it comes to parting with prospects, is blind IMO.

Hoping coaching will make this a different team in the playoffs.

Defensively, the team is equal to the past squads. Good sign IMO. Vigneault/Tortorella making no difference there.

Offensively, it's looking worse. But a healthy line up and a bit more time are what's needed to make an accurate assessment. What to keep in mind is that regular season offence hasn't equalled playoff offence for this team. So we need to see the team in the playoffs at least once to see where they stand.

Overall I feel VAN can compete. Pessimist see a team that has failed in the playoffs in the past, I prefer to see it as a team with plenty of playoff disappointment experience. Like every other team, the players needs to rolling at the right time. And as mentioned before, we need to see the playoffs to make an accurate assessment. Trading before that, especially when it comes to parting with prospects, is blind IMO.

well, they're a worse team under Torts in the regular season so far, so I'm not sure how you think that's going to translate to a better playoff performance where we're up against better competition and better coaching. JT employs almost no system and the Nucks are getting out played game in and game out because of it.

well, they're a worse team under Torts in the regular season so far, so I'm not sure how you think that's going to translate to a better playoff performance where we're up against better competition and better coaching. JT employs almost no system and the Nucks are getting out played game in and game out because of it.

Not sure about that. If you compare,

2012-13 GP 48GP W26 L15 OT7 PTS=59

2013-14 GP 49GP W24 L16 OT9 PTS=59

Archived