The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to make your stand on the 2013/14 canucks

ForsbergTheGreat

Not sure about that. If you compare,

2012-13 GP 48GP W26 L15 OT7 PTS=59

2013-14 GP 49GP W24 L16 OT9 PTS=59

Whoa! WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

People here only want myths.. you can't be all walking up in here with your big fancy numbers spouting off facts like they are true. No no no no no.

Sedins don't produce in the play-offs

Kesler is over rated

AV was a better coach

Luongo is washed up

Kassian is a bust

Booth is Christian

and finally

Santorelli is coming back down to earth.

I'm not going to sugar coat my true feelings on their new style of play. I think it's boring as hell and I don't think they have the right kind of players for what Torts is trying to do. That being said, I actually don't feel any less confident about their chances in the play-offs (if they make it) than I have in the past couple of years- strangely also because of the style of hockey that he's got them playing. Right now they are in a slump, but could they have picked a better time to have it ? I think not. And even though the hockey gods seem to be tipping the ice in the other teams favour these days, the guys are throwing a gauntlet down, effectively saying- we will not be terminal victims here. The time to judge this version of the Canucks is when the season is over, not after half a season.

I'm not a bandwagoner; I'm a realist.

No, I don't believe this team can win in a serious way this year.

The goaltending is solid, but unspectacular. The defense is adequate. They don't have a true #1 or #2 guy, but lots of 3's and 4's. They are not a particularly physical group and they lack a real puck-carrier. The forwards are a relatively under-talented group, they're no longer a fast group and not a physical group. In short, this team has no outstanding quality to it. Three years of decay has left this a very vanilla team with an aging core. When I watch them play against the heavies in this conference, it's clear as day they're not on the same level. The three California teams have attributes that the Canucks are proving time and time again they cannot overcome. Apart from that, the Canucks have lost 10 of the last 11 playoff games they've played. Their inability to win in the playoffs has been soundly demonstrated in that time. Instead of being able to bolster the group from 2011, Gillis has detracted from it, and they grow a little older and slower.

At the beginning of the year I expected the Canucks to finish 7-10 in the west, and there's nothing to suggest this will not be the case. I don't hate this team and I mean no negativity towards it. They are what we've seen them to be: a middle-of-the-road team. I expected Torts to not really have a great effect on the Canucks fortunes because at the end of the day, the players either make it or break it. My criticisms of the Canucks are nearly entirely laid at the feet of Gillis. He assembled this team and then sells it to the fan. He had put together a good team with some finishing pieces in 2011, but has failed badly since then. His ability to see long-term is very poor.

No, this team will not get it done this year. There's no logical reason to believe it will be anything more than 1 round and out at best.

Not good enough this year. With ANA, LAK, and SJS being powerhouses, I'd be happily surprised to make it out of the first round.

I think we're in the middle of a retool phase, and we'll be here until some of Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado, and others start to be impact players. Hopefully they can start to contribute while the Sedins are still top liners. But the window for the Sedin-led team is coming to an end within the next 2 years. Hope we can get it together before that.

precipice

Let's see if I got this right.

So if I claim the Canucks wont make the playoffs and they do and make a glorious run to the cup final, I can not enjoy the team's run, feel shame and called a bandwagon jumper. But if you claim you believe in this team and they fail miserably and are golfing while Chicago is playing in the first round, nothing happens. That doesn't make sense.

Make it a level playing field. There should be a hitch for the believers also. If you are "ON" , then you should feel shame if the Canucks miss the playoffs, or lose in the 1st round. The "ON" people will not be allowed to make any threads criticising Mike Gillis, John Tortorella or any players. They will be ridiculed if they make any negative statement about the team until next season.

Done

Thats the point though, OP was implying unless you don the pom-poms and hurrah the Canucks instead of using your knowledge of the game to yes, support the team, but also recognize the issues and be able to deal with the reality that hey, only ONE team can win the cup, and the odds the Canucks do is not very high at this current moment with our team composition, and overall play over this past 2 1/2 weeks than you are a bandwagoner and not a fan of the team, which is utter bullcrap

Thats where your mistaken, it has nothing do with who is a true fan and who is not. No one is making that claim. You don't have to raise your pom poms, you don't have to do anything but again making threads about how gillis had done a brutal job and they wont make the playoffs this year kind of statements because he's to terrible. Then when the canucks do, the people get right back on the wagon and cheering on the team Gillis built, it seems a bit hypocritical does it not.

It's not wether you think the canucks will even win the cup this year, It's the statements that people make that get annoying. "This team will never win a cup with Gillis as GM." "The canucks will never win a cup with Luongo in the net." "The canucks will never win a cup with a swede as a captian." If people want to come out and make these claims, then they should be held accountable to it.

Good post, OP.

As I stated in Sept, I think this is a top-12 team(league-rankings) which could do damage, come PO's. There've been a lot of frustrating moments, but I appreciate the team's progress/adjustment-time(some newer younger guys; 64.3 cap; & Torts' arrival).

The biggest variable to me comes down to officiating. If the league allows the BLATANT double-standards that this trip revealed, it would be impossible for Vancouver to succeed. In that event, all bets would be off, & ANY loyalists to the team would certainly/understandably be excused for their optimism. The paying fan would have my sympathy.

If there's indeed a Heaven/Hell, I know where Bettman & his insider-cronies are destined.

I always believe in the Nucks. Anything can happen in the playoffs and even they're in a rough patch right now I think they'll turn it around. The Sedins will bump their slump. Kesler, Burrows, and Bieksa are always beasts in the playoffs. Lu looks like he's in his prime again. We have a coach who isn't constantly getting outcoached. Just gotta try and move Edler for a top 6 forward and get more scoring.

It's statements like this. Best example

One more thing... if you guys want Gillis gone, then I suggest you join me in Canuxodus and withhold your support for the team. Sometimes tough love is necessary to get the message across, but until MG is replaced, I will withhold my support.

People should be held accountable if canucks do make any sort of a run this year. If VanNuck hops back on the wagon come playoff time is he not a hypocrite? Good on VanNuck if they do go on a run and he sticks with his guns of not supporting this team, but I know a lot of people will make statements like this only to change their minds after a few wins.

Right from training camp I've been saying this year`s a crap shoot.

With some luck and a healthy squad they're still good enough to make the playoffs and do some damage. Without luck and health, it's going to be a struggle (as we're currently seeing with a distinct lack of both of those things recently).

Either way I'll be cheering them on until whatever point of spring they play to. So I guess you can chalk me up as "on", whatever that's worth.

Personally I think the real work (for Gillis) begins this summer and the team over the next 2-3 years has it's best chance at a cup with the rising cap and contributions from talented guys on ELC's etc.

It's one thing to "believe" and it's another to have an unbiased, realistic view. I love this team, and I hate this team, but in the end, there is no other team I would ever cheer for. Through thick and thin, my team is the Vancouver Canucks, NOTHING will ever change that.

But will they be successful this year? Chances are they won't, but I'd still love to believe that anything can happen and they just might.

^^^^ This.

38 times over.

I'm on.

I have not illusions about this team winning it all without some wizardry in the luck department, but I know that they are good enough to make any team they play earn the series victory.

Mark this: If this team DOES go on a miraculous run, it will be with Zack Kassian blooming before our eyes.

I will always believe in this team. When things don't go the way I hoped, I still believe. As long as there is a chance, it is not unfounded belief. When they have gone as far as they can this season, I will believe in them for next season. I am not unrealistic or living in some alternate reality and I do not wear rose colored glasses. I just choose to believe in this team!!! Go Canucks Go!!!! :towel::canucks::frantic::rolleyes:

Archived