The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edmonton - Vancouver

To Van - Nail Yakupov

To Edm - 2014 1st Round Draft Pick.

I believe it would take a 1st round pick to get Edmonton to trade in their division.

The kid is being wasted in Edmonton and has the potential to be a franchise player. GMMG should try and snipe him.

Why would they trade their #1 overall for a pick likely in the 14-30 range?

A lot needs to be added here.

Think Tanev + Hansen + the 1st.

They are treating Nail like garbage there, I bet they someone could get Nail for a lot less. Maybe 1st and Corrado

Nail's a great player and all but not sure it would be smart to flip Corrado + 1st for him

The problem is if comes to a new club and has issues like he is having in Edmonton there is a chance he bolts to the KHL and the Canucks would have lost not 1 but 2 valuable assets that are desperately needed for this organization to move forward

They are treating Nail like garbage there, I bet they someone could get Nail for a lot less. Maybe 1st and Corrado

Just because a 20 year old former 1st overall pick has struggled to adapt to the NHL does not mean he is worthless or you can trade scraps for him. Despite his shortcomings he was still a prolific goal scorer in the OHL and still has enough potential to be a top line winger. They aren't trading that within their own division.

Nail's a great player and all but not sure it would be smart to flip Corrado + 1st for him

The problem is if comes to a new club and has issues like he is having in Edmonton there is a chance he bolts to the KHL and the Canucks would have lost not 1 but 2 valuable assets that are desperately needed for this organization to move forward

They would not do 1st + Corrado. And Nail hasn't really shown any desire to head over to the KHL. He played 2 years in the OHL because it was his dream to play in the NHL. Now that he is here why would he consider leaving so soon. He is no more a flight risk than any other Russian currently struggling to play in the NHL.

This is actually more than reasonable.

Just because Yakupov was a 1st overall pick means nothing. His production is garbage he has a terrible 2 way game and he is obviously on the outs in edmonton every other night.

How many other 1st overall picks in recent memory have played on 3rd and 4th lines? Been benched regularly? Are on pace for a season of -47?

Corrado and a 1st is reasonable and yes I would do this deal.

edmonton could and would get more though if he was being shopped

Just because a 20 year old former 1st overall pick has struggled to adapt to the NHL does not mean he is worthless or you can trade scraps for him. Despite his shortcomings he was still a prolific goal scorer in the OHL and still has enough potential to be a top line winger. They aren't trading that within their own division.

They would not do 1st + Corrado. And Nail hasn't really shown any desire to head over to the KHL. He played 2 years in the OHL because it was his dream to play in the NHL. Now that he is here why would he consider leaving so soon. He is no more a flight risk than any other Russian currently struggling to play in the NHL.

Why wouldn't they?

Gotta give more than personal opinion. A 1st round pick from the 10th to 20th spot and a prospect D man with mobility and top 4 potential for a former 1st round pick that plays 3rd and 4th line minutes, is benched regularly has poor production and is on pace for a season of -47 as well as the perceived flight risk....

That is a fair deal, but Edmonton could get more if shopping Yak

Why wouldn't they?

Gotta give more than personal opinion. A 1st round pick from the 10th to 20th spot and a prospect D man with mobility and top 4 potential for a former 1st round pick that plays 3rd and 4th line minutes, is benched regularly has poor production and is on pace for a season of -47 as well as the perceived flight risk....

That is a fair deal, but Edmonton could get more if shopping Yak

I think the question then is, why would WE? If he's not committed to playing D for the run-and-gun Oilers, how would he fit in our team's two-way system? Sure people would say that he's got the offensive upside to play in our Top 6, but would Torts want someone like that? I think he'd get it worse here than what he's getting from Eakins.

Of course, on the flip side there is the potential lineup that we can ice on paper of Hank with Yak to raise his game, but if he's the #1 he should be helping others raise THEIR games, not vice versa.

I think the question then is, why would WE? If he's not committed to playing D for the run-and-gun Oilers, how would he fit in our team's two-way system? Sure people would say that he's got the offensive upside to play in our Top 6, but would Torts want someone like that? I think he'd get it worse here than what he's getting from Eakins.

Of course, on the flip side there is the potential lineup that we can ice on paper of Hank with Yak to raise his game, but if he's the #1 he should be helping others raise THEIR games, not vice versa.

He is a 1 dimensional player. The exact kind of player we need on a team full of 2 way players. He'd be able to just concentrate on scoring off the wing while being assured he had a solid defence, goalie and forwards to assist in back checking.

We need a 1 dimensional scoring threat and he could be it. Again though edmonton could get more than we could offer if he was being shopped

He is a 1 dimensional player. The exact kind of player we need on a team full of 2 way players. He'd be able to just concentrate on scoring off the wing while being assured he had a solid defence, goalie and forwards to assist in back checking.

We need a 1 dimensional scoring threat and he could be it. Again though edmonton could get more than we could offer if he was being shopped

Guess I should have made it more clear. I agree with the premise of adding an offensive forward to the group, but I was also arguing that he's not enough of a scorer up front to make people, esp. Torts forget about his defensive struggles. I mean, if Eakins' offensive system and the group of forward he has in place isn't enough for Nail's stats to explode, I'm not sure how much more Nail would thrive here.

The second point was as #1 picks, he should be able to make a difference instead of relying on other guys to raise his game. I mean, that's the value really in the #1 pick, since you should be getting a guy who you can build around instead of having them become a reliant peripheral contributor.

Mackinnon's already at 0.66 p.p.g, Nuge and Hall are 1st-liners, and so are Tavares, Stamkos, Pat Kane, Sid and of course Ovie, Nash, Big Joe, Kovalchuk, Fleury, Vinny Lecavalier in his prime, Jovo, etc. What I'm saying is that there's risk when banking on strictly offensive potential, esp. when the player not only isn't ready to carry the team's scoring but if they're furthermore unwilling to grow further by rounding out their game. With the team's urgent need for an injection of scoring I'm not sure that the team's few quality assets should be spent on getting something that's not a certainty, if not a liability. Of course, if he did become a Pat Kane then that would be something but you don't want to pay up to buy low on someone with strictly potential. What then if he doesn't pan out, or worse he walks and goes to the KHL?

To Van - Nail Yakupov

To Edm - 2014 1st Round Draft Pick.

I believe it would take a 1st round pick to get Edmonton to trade in their division.

The kid is being wasted in Edmonton and has the potential to be a franchise player. GMMG should try and snipe him.

what these proposals usually seem to forget is the other 28 teams in the league. Many would happily give up next years first round pick, many of these would be lower picks than ours will likely be. Plus they are in our division. You see when you make trade offers you should consider how easy it would be for any of the other 28 teams to trump it.

Archived