The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Retool on the Fly

Pyrene

As anyone can tell, the Canucks are not having a great year. I am NOT going to discuss lucrative deals that includes trading half the team, but rather look at what the ideal situation is.

First off, Higgins is not a 2nd line player. We need a 2nd line player.

Secondly, David Booth's incoming buyout is a no-brainer.

Thirdly, Edler has been given more than enough time to show he's not in a massive slump / off year; while he is still recognized across the league, a deal needs to be done with him.

Additionally, i truly believe the Sedins and Burrows are in a slumped off year; they've been our most consistent producers and I'm not about to give up on them.

Here is what we do:

-sign Tanev to a 3M/ per deal.

-sign Schroeder to 1M deal

-Sign Kassian to 1.5M deal.

-sign Santorelli to 1.5M deal.

I left Santorelli on the 4th line because we cannot bank on him being as amazing as he's been so far this year; history has shown these types of enigmatic players slow down. If he wants a roster spot, he needs to earn it. I would like him to kick off someone, and keep roster spots conpetitive.

Where does this leave us?

We should trade Edler + Hansen for a PP QB in someone like a Matt Carle.

This leaves 11.5M in cap space for two 2nd line players.

Then, trade Chris Tanev + B prospect + 1st for E. Kane.

--> then we call up Corrado, and possibly Shinkaruk or Horvat, or maybe Jensen...

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows

E.Kane / Kesler / ______

Higgins / Schroeder / Kassian

Sestito / Richardson / Santorelli

Dalpe

Hamhuis / Carle

Bieksa / Stanton

Garrison / Corrado

Alberts

Luongo

Lack

This lineup also leaves us with 4.9M in cap-space to work with.

It also injects some much need youth into our system.

I also left Kassian on the 3rd line because he's not yet ready for a 2nd line role; he should be eased into it.

Note: Carle may not be available; he is just used as an example of what Edler should fetch.

Thoughts?

Kane is not coming here, any other team as desperate as us will have better pieces to offer. Just let that sink in so you don't have to fret about it later. I know you said Carle may not be available, but what makes you think any other above average offensive quarterback will be. I also don't like sacrificing Hansen and Edler to upgrade in one area. We have really poor depth on our right wing and Hansen is a player that can slide seamlessly up and down the line-up. The bottom line here is that we're fracked. A rebuild is on the horizon and I think it's better we start sooner than later.

Kane is not coming here, any other team as desperate as us will have better pieces to offer. Just let that sink in so you don't have to fret about it later. I know you said Carle may not be available, but what makes you think any other above average offensive quarterback will be. I also don't like sacrificing Hansen and Edler to upgrade in one area. We have really poor depth on our right wing and Hansen is a player that can slide seamlessly up and down the line-up. The bottom line here is that we're fracked. A rebuild is on the horizon and I think it's better we start sooner than later.

Under normal circumstances, I think he would come, but the fact that it has turned out into an all out bidding war, no way Vancouver wins as I'm sure some team will give an arm and a leg for him. Hopefully we can sign him when he becomes a free agent. I would suggest actually, going after Andrew Ladd. 4.4 mill cap hit for this season plus 2 more. From around Vancouver similar to Kane, and can be a major piece. We have a chance at being able to get him and who knows, maybe if we sign him, Evander will be more willing to sign with us when he is ufa.

I'd rather trade Bieksa, or Garrison, or Stanton, or Corrado, or Edler, before Tanev. He is absolutely vital to the long-term success of our franchise, and would be one of my seven NTC players if you could edit player contracts:

Henrik Sedin

Daniel Sedin

Ryan Kesler

Zack Kassian

Dan Hamhuis

Chris Tanev

Roberto Luongo

All other players would not have NTCs and be up for discussion.

Add to those seven our top prospects:

Bo Horvat

Hunter Shinkaruk

Brendan Gaunce

Nicklas Jensen

Frankie Corrado

And the lesser guys that I would keep ideally:

Ryan Stanton

Eddie Lack

Tom Sestito

Dale Weise

Mike Santorelli

Brad Richardson

And you have a core that looks dynamite:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

?-Horvat-Kesler

Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Santorelli

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Hamhuis-?

?-Tanev

Stanton-Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Question is, how to fill those gaps? Trade-able players + assets:

Alex Burrows

Jannik Hansen

Chris Higgins

Kevin Bieksa (NTC)

Jason Garrison (NTC)

Alex Edler (NTC)

1st

2nd

MG should easily be able to acquire two top 4 D and one top 6 forward through Free Agency and trades with a stockpile like that. I'm thinking:

Tyler Myers to play with Hamhuis

Andrew Ladd to play with Horvat + Kesler

Willie Mitchell to play with Tanev

Willie Mitchell - 3 years, $10.5m ($3.5m per season)

Trades:

To Buffalo: Alex Edler (ask to waive NTC) + Jannik Hansen

To Vancouver: Tyler Myers

To Winnipeg: Chris Higgins + Frankie Corrado + 2nd round pick

To Vancouver: Andrew Ladd + 4th round pick

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Ladd-Horvat-Kesler

Burrows-Gaunce-Santorelli

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Shinkaruk (13th man but subs into top 9)

Archibald (14th man for muscle)

Hamhuis-Myers

Mitchell-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Garrison (yes, 7th D man on that salary...)

Luongo

Lack

$722k under the $71m cap for next season, and that is one team I would be VERY excited to watch. And it only involved two trades and one UFA signing, all it takes is to convince Edler to move. And to do that? Sit him now for the rest of the season.

Here's how I view next years roster:

Sedin - Sedin - _____

_____ - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito/Archibald - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - _____

Stanton - Bieksa/_____

Lack/_____

_____/Lack/Eriksson

Have Sestito and Archibald rotate in the line up every now and then and trade some big pieces like Edler, Luongo, Hansen, Bieksa, and picks.

Players to target via trade/free agency:

- Thomas Vanek

- Evander Kane

- Ryan Ellis

- Jakub Voracek

Try to trade for anyone proven that's 24 or younger. IMO picking up a young puck moving D man like Ryan Ellis would do nothing but wonders for this team going forward.

random thoughts...

I don't see this team as it stands doing much better till we can move assets in the summer. I don't care if make the playoffs this year as it's very doubtful this team has the scoring to get past the first round.

We should be playing Kassian as much as possible now so he can gain the experience needed to be a reliable top 6 forward for next season.

Are Jensen and Schroeder top 6 players? Why is Jensen not even getting a shot with the big club?

(perhaps I just answered my own question)

I don't think Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce will be ready to help us next year and they shouldn't be rushed they should be developed.

It's a process!

11th overall in the league despite this awful stretch. Still holding down a playoff spot and only 3 points behind the allegedly far superior LA Kings. Despite the sky is falling mentality that has pervaded this board and fan base recently, realizing that a season has peaks and valleys is a much healthier mental approach to being a fan.

OP, the 'thirdly' and 'additionally' you list contradict each other. You believe the Sedins and Burrows are just in a slump but Edler is not despite similar amounts of time underperforming offensively? You'll need to back that up more to make a serious argument.

OP, the 'thirdly' and 'additionally' you list contradict each other. You believe the Sedins and Burrows are just in a slump but Edler is not despite similar amounts of time underperforming offensively? You'll need to back that up more to make a serious argument.

my bad on the grammar. However, I do believe Edler is in more than just a slump... Under the new systems by AV and Torts, the Sedins and Burrows have scored less, and so have Edler. Whats the difference though? Other d-man have shown to score points under this system whereas Edler has not. Other forwards have shown to be just in much as a scoring drought as the Sedins and Burrows. Its a game of comparisons.

anyways, replying to the other posters,

1. right wings is something we are abundant at. Richardson and Santorelli can also play wing.

2. to whoever suggest WIllie Mitchell, another shutdown dman is the last thing we need; we need a PP QB. That's why i suggest even possibly over-paying for one.

3. one of the poster may have a point about Tanev. Moving possibly Garrison + B Prospect + 1st for a 2nd line winger possble?

4. I do not believe Kassian can step into a 2nd line role EFFECTIVELY. Anyone that cannot score 50+ points consistently should not be on the 2nd line. Thats why I said Higgins is not a 2nd line forward. He is an extremely good 3rd liner. However, I project the second line to have a 3rd spot for a possible position for either Kassian, Santorelli, or maybe Higgins. Its the best we can do under our circumstances.

The problem wasn't with using thirdly and additionally, rather that you used the same argument to support two different outcomes.

As far as the extra reasoning you've supplied now, Higgins is quietly having a good year. Santorelli has increased his scoring over previous years and Kassian has actually done well. Weise and Richardson are also scoring well for their roles, so really it's just our top four of the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows (maybe if you want to include Hansen) that are underperforming offensively.

The problem wasn't with using thirdly and additionally, rather that you used the same argument to support two different outcomes.

As far as the extra reasoning you've supplied now, Higgins is quietly having a good year. Santorelli has increased his scoring over previous years and Kassian has actually done well. Weise and Richardson are also scoring well for their roles, so really it's just our top four of the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows (maybe if you want to include Hansen) that are underperforming offensively.

Higgin's definition of a "good year" is being on pace for47 pts despite being so hot for awhile now. Like I said, he's an extremely solid 3rd liner. Kassian, unless he plays stellar, will not score 50 next season. We can't bank on guys always having good years; rather, bank on them to play average. However, if they do play good, thats why theres that spot on the 2nd line for whoever plays well. Kesler is underperforming because of the lack of offensive linemates / a puck moving dman. The Sedins? honestly I just want to have good faith that they'll do better next year. They proved they haven't regressed with their start of year play. They lack that puck moving dman Edler is supposed to be. The roster I proposed isn't even a SCF worthy team, its just a small step along the way

Using point production as a reason for where you slot a player into the lineup is flawed thinking. In fact, for this season, you can't use anyone's point production as the root of an argument as the lines have been juggled so much it's amazing anyone has any scoring consistency. Given how this season has played out, it safe to say that MG, Torts and the rest of the coaching staff has made chicken soup outta chicken s**t. If the playoffs started today, Canucks would be in.

Edler > Carle

Depends on the aspect of play. Carle's own zone play may be bad, but at least he knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. We have a plethora of stay-at home dmens in Garrison, Hamhuis, Tanev, Stanton and up and coming Corrado for that job. I loved AV"s 1 o-zone dman and 1 d-zone dman and it worked miracles that year. Remember when GM MG wanted 200 pts out of the dcore?

Winnipeg isn't trading their best player and captain for some junk.

He has more trade value than Horvat.

Says you. Higgins is a 40-50 point scorer, not far off of Ladd in all honesty, they gain Corrado who would be a great addition to their D core, and the 2nd pick also has value. If the Peg trade Ladd, no way do they get a prospect like Horvat. From anyone.

Says you. Higgins is a 40-50 point scorer, not far off of Ladd in all honesty, they gain Corrado who would be a great addition to their D core, and the 2nd pick also has value. If the Peg trade Ladd, no way do they get a prospect like Horvat. From anyone.

Even comparing Higgins to Ladd shows how little you know about what Ladd brings to a team.

I'm surprised you'd even want him playing for the Canucks.

And the Jets would get the value of Horvat+ if they decided to move him.

Archived