The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver in the Thick of Things is an Understatement

Herberts Vasiljevs

While Vancouver is 3 points out of 3rd in the Pacific Division, they are also 5 points out of 25th in the NHL! That's astounding.

Between the Toronto Maple Leafs in 9th and the Winnipeg Jets in 25th there are only 7 points separating these two teams which is even more nuts.

I bring this up because with Vancouver trending downwards it has become highly likely that they could be contending for a top-10 lottery pick in June's draft. Meanwhile, there are those on this team who want to win more than ever but may be getting the notion that they just don't have the proper group to do some damage.

It's one month before the deadline, and so much will change between then and now. With 17 teams within 7 points of each other ATM, it'll be a lot easier to assess where we are as a group by the deadline.

Gillis will have some tough decisions to make within the next month. The pressure is on him now more than ever.

Discuss.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Not sure how to discuss this but I agree with pretty much everything you said. However, I don't see us trending too fat up or down. We'll stay at 8-10 spot in the West and around 15 in the NHL.

Which to some people is exactly the worst place to finish....you don't exactly get the the blue chip prospect,nor are you really a serious cup contender..basically,no mans land....

Not sure how to discuss this but I agree with pretty much everything you said. However, I don't see us trending too fat up or down. We'll stay at 8-10 spot in the West and around 15 in the NHL.

This could be a lot like the finish of the 2007-2008 season.

We lost our last three regular season games straight and even the Hawks and Oilers who didn't even make the playoffs in our conference had finished just a hair ahead of us. By a hair, I mean not even one point.

Winnipeg is starting to find their mojo and Dallas is hot and cold. Phoenix is just behind us and they will have probably surpassed in their next two games knocking us out of the playoffs. Even Nashville is knocking at the door.

The Eastern conference is very weird where teams like Detroit are underachieving and teams like Columbus are overachieving (albeit they have a good young group), and there are teams like Philidelphia, NYR, Ottawa, Montreal and Washington who could finish anywhere. This could all factor in to our draft placing.

Gillis has watched the core group slide for 3 years straight. Any tough decisions he now faces are of his own making. Time to move non-performing contracts and bring in speed and youth. There are no players that have earned the right to be protected, Sedins included. If this team is to win a cup in the next 10 years, Gillis has to move vets now. Trying to re-create the 2011 contender from this core is a recipe for a disaster worse than Calgary.

Is this a thread to question whether we should be buyers or sellers?

As a sport purist, I need to feel like my team is going for it. I would be mad if we were sellers, dismantling the team in the thick of a race.

I am a proponent of a hockey trade if its available. Take a (quasi) redundant but hard nut vet, add a prospect and trade them in for a more premium prospect! ie Burrows or Hansen, Gaunce, plus, for a legit top 6 young RW or premium young PMD! That boosts us now and in the future!

There has to be something seriously wrong with our personnel.

$&%#, things are looking even gloomier with this team than I had expected. Let's see what happens in Boston tomorrow.

Torts' was obviously sending some clear message towards Gillis. He has tried to do everything he could with this group but things are falling off the rails quickly. We are running out of options and this isn't Torts' fault.

Geez when Chicago had to rebuild they let go Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien...

They really only kept the core, of core!

As they let those guys go, other players stepped up to the plate. Bickell, Shaw, Saad, Kruger, Leddy are all now big parts of their team.

Archived